Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP340 Configuration 6.1.13 p22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP340 Configuration 6.1.13 p22
    Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 4:39pm
On p. 22 of the AXP340 installation manual, section 6.1.13, the configuration choices are either
1090ES ADS-B TIS-B receiver or UAT receiver or none.  If I use my portable Clarity ADS-B receiver (receives both 1090ES TIS-B and UAT TIS-B signals), what is the configuration setting to program into
the AXP340?  My dealer programmed no 1090Es and no UAT ADS-B receivers since I have no
TSO approved ADS-B permanent mount receivers installed.
Gary-T
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 5:07pm
From the Clarity ADS-B website FAQ:
To receive all ADS-B In services from the ADS-B ground infrastructure, aircraft must broadcast valid ADS-B Out messages that indicate their ADS-B-In capability.
Gary-T
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:15pm
John Collins queried the FAA on this topic, and has a letter back from them basically saying if you have an approved ADS-B out device (e.g. AXXP 340), and ANY in device (be it a GDL38, Stratus, or whatever), the intent is to provide the traffic data, and thus it is permissible to indicate that you DO have ADS-B in capability (that is, IN for these purposes doesn't have to be panel mount, or TSO).

I have a copy of the letter somewhere, in fact shared with my shop as they were insisting on the same logic your shop is.

Good luck.
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

John Collins queried the FAA on this topic, and has a letter back from them basically saying if you have an approved ADS-B out device (e.g. AXXP 340), and ANY in device (be it a GDL38, Stratus, or whatever), the intent is to provide the traffic data, and thus it is permissible to indicate that you DO have ADS-B in capability (that is, IN for these purposes doesn't have to be panel mount, or TSO).

I have a copy of the letter somewhere, in fact shared with my shop as they were insisting on the same logic your shop is.

Good luck.

Edit: I have a PDF of the letter I reference.
David Gates
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:19pm
David,
Would you be able to email me your PDF letter to Skylane8@aol.com?
Is John Collins a forum member or Avidyne employee?
Thank you for this information.

Gary
Gary-T
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:24am
Neither.

John Collins owns and flies a V-tail Bonanza. He formerly owned an avionics shop. He's very knowledgeable on avionics related issues and writes for the American Bonanza Society magazine.

Edited by SB Jim - 12 Nov 2014 at 8:24am
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
Thank you for the reply/information.

After my first flight (Monday) with my AXP340/IFD540 I sent an email to :
and I received their response (compliance report)  this morning.

Requested report attached. Everything looks good. The small issue flagged with Geo Alt was while the aircraft was on the ground so your system checks out good.
Gary-T
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Gary T Gary T wrote:

David,
Would you be able to email me your PDF letter to Skylane8@aol.com?
Is John Collins a forum member or Avidyne employee?
Thank you for this information.

Gary

sent.

DMG
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 9:17am

Thank you for the reply/information.

After my first flight (Monday) with my AXP340/IFD540 I sent an email to :
and I received their response (compliance report)  this morning.

<font size="2" face="Arial">Requested report attached. Everything looks good. .

Got the same for my recent install.
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:44am
What did you attach to your email to the FAA? This there a place on the FAA site that shows what they want to see as input for their compliance check?
Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 11:07am
chflyer,

You don't attach anything.  It's a real world test, not some paperwork review.  You have to have flown with the new equipment such that your ADS-B pings were being received.  You then send the e-mail to that FAA address, and they pull the logs and based on the data they received, they tell you if your data stream is compliant.  
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 4:38pm
Ah, ok. Clear.

Vince
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:56pm
In the email to the FAA, I mentioned the day I flew, time of day, flight route. Perhaps not necessary?
Gary-T
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:59pm
Most important-include your tail number
Gary-T
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:59pm

In the email to the FAA, I mentioned the day I flew, time of day, flight route. Perhaps not necessary?

Not necessary.  Big Brother has all that data in the ADS-B world.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic