Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VNAV Feature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 888dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VNAV Feature
    Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:21pm
I am having issues with the VNAV feature of my recently installed IFD 540.  I've read the pilot manual and believe I understand the operation and how to work it - but in real world operation I can't seem to get it to work how I believe it should.

First, the Garmin product VNAV feature was really quite perfect.  I'm not advertising them, and I did buy your 540 almost 2 years ago (and waited patiently!).  However, the VNAV feature of the Garmin was user settable (as yours is) for a vertical descent profile.  So, when I was enroute to an airport, a remote grass strip not in the database, or a fix, I conveniently got a warning when to descend.  Flying IFR it helped to plan my descents if ATC was behind in letting me descend.  On nice days, I could just look out the window and descend when I got a message.  This made me look smart, and takes the mental math out of the cockpit when I have other things to plan, like approaches, or what I'm getting for lunch.

Anyway, I understand there is no generic descent profile for every waypoint (it must be entered every time).  OK.  But I can't make it work.  First, when flying to an airport, I am unable to set a pattern altitude as a descent profile because every time I push the right knob (select button), over the airport waypoint, it wants me to put an approach in (which the VNAV doesn't work with, per the manual).  I don't want to do an approach every time.  I just want to know when to descend so I'm not 2500 feet above the airport in the pattern trying to land and figure out how I'm going to get the gear out.

Second, I fly out of grass a lot, with many of the strips not being in the database.  I've entered these as a waypoint, and am able to select them when they are in the flight plan and add an altitude.  This I have been able to make work.  However, I still haven't ever seen a descent rate come up in the VSR (or whatever the label is), or a message to tell me to descend.  

I believe that I have my 540 set up correctly and am frustrated that this feature is really lacking.   I'm liking many other features and I know this was a long time in the making - and being an early adopter, I don't expect it to be perfect.  Can you help me to figure it out? OR make it work better in upcoming software releases?

Thank you!
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:52pm
So, a couple of things going on here.

1) I assume you know that you can designate a user waypoint as an airport so you can name your grass strips not in the database and have them act in similar fashion as an airport in the database.  Page 2-36 of the user's guide spells out how to accomplish this.

2) You can set up a vertical constraint on any of the waypoints and you do this in the FMS by using the small knob to move the cursor to the bottom row of the waypoint and entering the appropriate information ie distance from the waypoint, crossing type (at or below, at, at or above) and the altitude.  If you do not set the altitude, it defaults to 1000ft above the airport elevation from the database.  I have not tried this from a user defined airport waypoint, so I'm not sure if this holds true for that specific type, but you can certainly define the crossing information.  Page 2-11 of the user's guide spells out this function.

3) If your setup does not have a baro input (basically an EFIS of some sort or Air Data Computer), then the current release of the software 10.0.2.0 will not update the VNAV datablock and display the vertical speed required (VSR) like you are use to.  If you have an EFIS (Aspen/G500/600, etc.) it will populate the VSR block

4) However, on any or all airport waypoints that you have defined a constraint on, and the next waypoint on an approach that has been loaded, you will see on the MAP the TOD marker.  Once reaching it, you will hear the "doorbell" chime if you have wired the IFD540 audio output and see the CAS message indicating you need to descend.

I have a standard 6 pack with no EFIS and use this feature all the time and while I would like to see the VSR datablock populated, it really hasn't been an issue.  I do know the VSR function is a planned upgrade for a future release. 

I hope this helps.

Edited by Gring - 25 Nov 2014 at 8:53pm
888dom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 888dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:33pm
Gring,

Thank you for responding.  This unit is new to me, and I'm actually waiting for my hard copy Pilot manual to come in the mail - I've been reading the CD version at home and playing with the unit at the airport. I am by far not an expert and will confess that my ignorance of its operation may be a contributor!

So, a couple of things going on here.

1) I assume you know that you can designate a user waypoint as an airport so you can name your grass strips not in the database and have them act in similar fashion as an airport in the database.  Page 2-36 of the user's guide spells out how to accomplish this.

I did not know this.  I will review the user guide and make sure that I use this feature.  Cool!

2) You can set up a vertical constraint on any of the waypoints and you do this in the FMS by using the small knob to move the cursor to the bottom row of the waypoint and entering the appropriate information ie distance from the waypoint, crossing type (at or below, at, at or above) and the altitude.  If you do not set the altitude, it defaults to 1000ft above the airport elevation from the database.  I have not tried this from a user defined airport waypoint, so I'm not sure if this holds true for that specific type, but you can certainly define the crossing information.  Page 2-11 of the user's guide spells out this function.

I have read the book on the VNAV, page 2-11 but I can't get it to work as described.  Yesterday, for example, I flew direct to KELM.  This is an airport, not a waypoint, which according to 2-11, I should be able to add a vertical constraint.  However, when I selected the waypoint (KELM) it would only allow me to select an approach - not to add a vertical constraint.  I did not see a TOD in the map page for a descent to 1000 above the airport either.  I was able to set a vertical constraint for another waypoint, but it didn't populate the VSR.  I guess I don't recall seeing a TOD on the map page for that waypoint constraint either, but will look more closely.  

3) If your setup does not have a baro input (basically an EFIS of some sort or Air Data Computer), then the current release of the software 10.0.2.0 will not update the VNAV datablock and display the vertical speed required (VSR) like you are use to.  If you have an EFIS (Aspen/G500/600, etc.) it will populate the VSR block

I actually do have an Aspen PFD.  So does that mean 10.0.2.0 will populate the VSR? I didn't see it in the release notes, but will look again. 

4) However, on any or all airport waypoints that you have defined a constraint on, and the next waypoint on an approach that has been loaded, you will see on the MAP the TOD marker.  Once reaching it, you will hear the "doorbell" chime if you have wired the IFD540 audio output and see the CAS message indicating you need to descend.

I do not have the audio feature yet, but it is getting added this week with the addition of the new software.  My installation was a slide in 530W replacement, which didn't have this feature.

I have a standard 6 pack with no EFIS and use this feature all the time and while I would like to see the VSR datablock populated, it really hasn't been an issue.  I do know the VSR function is a planned upgrade for a future release.  

So basically, you're suggesting that if I set it up correctly, I should just have a TOD marker on the map (and a chime, when wired).  I still have yet to see the TOD and will play with this feature more and watch for it.  If it works for you, I imagine I am doing something wrong.  I probably use the VSR more than anything as I'm not flying approaches all the time. And I'm actually a little leery of doing very many approaches until I get a few more hours behind it!  

I hope this helps.

Thank you again for your help!
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm
With the Aspen correctly wired to the IFD540, it should give you the VSR just like you are use to including a CAS message telling you to descend. I use the vertical constraint feature on every flight both VFR and IFR. One other point of clarification, the TOD and vertical constraint feature works the same in both production releases. I wasn't suggesting that you needed to upgrade to 10.0.2.0 to get it to work, although you should have your installer perform the upgrade anyway. I notice that you are flying near Elmira and I'm actually in Endicott at KCZG for the holidays so if you want some help feel free to contact me. If the holidays don't work for you, I'm only 45min east of KELM and would gladly help you.

Edited by Gring - 25 Nov 2014 at 10:08pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 11:31am
I would highly recommend that you accept Gring's generous offer.  I met him at his home field a few weeks ago and he was a big help to me in getting my 540s setup in the most efficient way and pointed out how to use many of the features.  He really knows the unit well.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:02pm
+1

Gring has been blessed with almost a year's use of the IFD540 in his aircraft, as he is in the experimental category, so he knows the ins and outs from actual opeartion.

I visited with him last Spring, and quite enjoyed both the socializing and a closeup view of his IFD540s in action.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Nov 2014 at 10:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic