Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North up
    Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:21pm
Made the 30 min flight home from the shop with 2 new 540's, 340, G600 and audio panel. A lot of new panel to work with on a less than optimal day
The map remained in a North up mode regardless of the selection on the aux page or range. Was true of both 540's. I must be missing something.
be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:47pm
Yes, you are.

You change from North UP, to Track (or heading) UP to Track (or heading) UP 240* by clicking in the bottom right knob.

The AUX page selection sets whether you will have TRACK UP or HEADING UP, when in a bearing related mode on the display.

* Orest

roy32jm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy32jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 12:20am
Thanks Orest.
be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:21am
Don't forget heading up is only available if you have a heading input from an EFIS or HSI with bootstrap.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:07am
What?  So with a standard non-HSI 6 pack panel, I won't be able to fly with track up?  Even the most basic GPS's do this without needed external sources.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

What?  So with a standard non-HSI 6 pack panel, I won't be able to fly with track up?  Even the most basic GPS's do this without needed external sources.

Track up is no problem. You just will not be able to fly heading up unless the IFD540 has some way of knowing the heading.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 10:02am
No. Please reread my post. You always have the option of north up, track up, or track arc up. If you have a heading input then you can select heading or track. Otherwise it is just Track

Edited by Gring - 12 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 1:45pm
To be explicit, yYou have a choice of:

A) North UP, Track UP, Track UP (240*)

or 

B) North UP, Heading UP, Heading UP (240*)

You can only do (B) if you have a heading input from an airdata source.

Whether A or B, is selected on the AUX page, user settings.

The three available modes are selected by pushing on the right bottom knob.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 3:43pm

Sorry about that, I guess I missed the detail that was trying to be pointed out between track and heading.  I'm glad everything will work fine.  I've been trying to keep straight what capability I won't have because I don't have all the fancy peripherals and I thought this was another hidden limitation.

Edited by brou0040 - 12 Dec 2014 at 3:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic