Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Density Altitude Calculator bug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Density Altitude Calculator bug
    Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 8:46pm
When on the info page in the general section, if you click the little right arrow to expand the density altitude calculator, I think it's got a bug.  It shows some pre-populated data that may be fully populated if you have the proper peripherals, but in my case, I assume that the temp and altimeter setting will not be populated.  When you hit the button to modify the temp, then hit it again to set it and move on to the next field, it zeros out the temp so I'm no longer able to set the temp.  Similarly, when I modify the altimeter setting and hit the button to deselect the field and accept the change, it changes the setting to 28.10, which is the minimum it will accept.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
Don't know - will check it out on Monday and update the post.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 12:10pm
moved

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Dec 2014 at 12:46pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 12:18pm
Just tried reproducing the first reported issue and for us, it was Can Not Duplicate (CND).

We set up with no Wx and no sensors and it worked fine.  Even in that scenario, the fields will be populated with standard temperature and pressure until you change them.  We tried using both touchscreen and the knob and in both cases the editing was successful.

What's your configuration?  What airport was displayed on the Info page?  Did you use knobs exclusively, keyboard exclusively, or a combination of both?  Did you start the edit with touch or knob?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 2:17pm
I'm using the PC sim.  KIYK, touch to hit the arrow and knobs only to change the fields.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:38pm
I tried this again and it seems to work ok if you click on the field and use the keyboard to change the values.  If you push the knob to select the field and turn the field white and turn the knob to change the value, when you hit the knob again to deselect the field, it reverts to the previous value that was selected using the keyboard or to the 0 or 28.10 if you never used the keyboard.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:51am
Not quite sure I fully understand the problem report. Baro setting is currently used unconditionally in the computation of all the calculated fields in the air data calculator. The only way it wouldn't be applied to the calculation is if the user didn't press enter or the knob to accept the new value.

We don't actually receive baro setting from the Aspen so we don't auto-populate that field as of 10.0.2. Baro setting needs to be set by the user for an accurate density altitude computation.

The Aspen sends us a baro-corrected altitude, so adjusting the baro on the Apsen should cause the ALT field of the calculator to autopopulate, which is probably what is triggering the update of the calculation. If the Baro setting on the calculator is not manually adjusted to match the Aspen, the Density altitude calculation will diverge from the expected results.

As of today, the following fields are required to compute DALT:
ALT, CAS, OAT, BARO. Alt is corrected to pressure alt using the baro setting, CAS is corrected to TAS and eventually a Mach number using OAT and pressure alt, that in turn is used to compute static temperature and pressure equivalents.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:22am
I think you may be confusing my post with Orest or combining the issues.  I don't have an Aspen so I'm not concerned about that - this is a separate issue.  Since I don't have my unit yet, I'm still using the PC sim.  The issue is that the values are not being accepted when inputting using the knob vs the pop-up keyboard.  I'm not talking about the calculations being made, simply that I can't input the data using the knob.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:40pm
I don't have an Aspen and I use the density calculator on every flight and haven't seen any issues.  It may be just a Sim thing.

Edited by Gring - 19 Dec 2014 at 12:40pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 5:20pm
Have you tried setting values using the knobs rather than the pop up touch keyboard?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic