Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Dim Minimum control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Dim Minimum control
    Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 4:32pm
I have found the auto dim level set table number does not actually do anything about minimum brightness in my IFD540.

The light sensor works fine but it does not matter what level you program for minimum brightness number (1 to 50) .

The unit will always dim to  1 (lowest) in dark environment.

Talking to tech support I am led to believe this is known bug.

Do you know what SW release this will be fixed?
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:28am
There is no known bug involving auto dimming or any other lighting behavior.

We are making some clarifying statements in the Rel 10.0.3.0 version of the Install Manual that adds description to the automatic transition from the ambient light sensor to the dimming bus take over.  But that does not sound like what you are describing.

At the 30,000' perspective, there are three ways to control lighting:

1.  User control;
2.  Automatic control via the bezel mounted ambient light sensor;
3.  Manual control via cockpit dimming bus controls.

For #2, there are multiple control/installer settings to refine this in maintenance mode.  One tip being added to the Rel 10.0.3.0 Installation Manual talks about setting the dimBus Transition % parameter to zero to avoid the system getting dimer and dimer as ambient lighting becomes darker (like flying from sunset into night) and then jumping to very bright at that set transition %.

For #3, there are two types of curves that can be selected in maintenance mode.   One ("Proportional") curve starts out near zero and is a straightline ramp up in brightness as the dimming bus control is increased.  The other ("AviCurve") curve has a day mode at low dimming bus settings, then jumps down to very dim and slowly increases as the dimming bus control is increased.   It is also imperative that dimming bus calibration be performed (see procedures on page 92 of the install manual) if dimming bus methods are to be used.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 10:33am
Thanks for the update

This means I either have a hardware problem or a head space problem as my unit always gets too dim in dark environments.

I can control it using user control.

I do not have it wired into aircraft dimming control ( #3 method )
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:04am
Hhmm.  Give me a few hours.  I'll take an IFD down to the Bat Cave in our building basement and try it out just to be sure there isn't some systemic issue.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:11pm
Just ran a bunch of tests confirming that all works per design on the production units I have here in the lab.

Ed, can you send me your datalogs (specifically the event log and configuration log) and we can check out the lighting settings in the unit?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:43pm
Thanks Steve, 

I will pull logs and send
Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic