Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Config settings reinstallation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Config settings reinstallation
    Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:22pm
This is only germane if you need to do a unit exchange. 

You can dump the config settings to a USB card, but there doesn't appear to be any way to load them back into a unit that is, for example, at factory defaults. Is there a way? If not, can it be added?

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:48pm
Orest,  I know Steve has a utility that will "suck and stuff" the configuration from one device to another, or from/to the same device after a repair.  When I sent them to Melbourne for the production hardware/software update just before release, they used my two units as a test to see how it worked.  The utility worked great and saved the device configuration, user configuration, user settings, etc. 

Edited by Gring - 22 Dec 2014 at 5:50pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:55am
Geoffrey ("Gring") is correct.   One of the features of Rel 10.1 is a means for all of the unit configuration data to be saved on an external device like a USB fob and then reloaded at any point.

This includes checklists, user waypoints, saved routes, IFD configuration, and user settings.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 6:42pm
Steve,

Would there be some way of using this facility to mass enter user waypoints?

Since neither the G* nor A* product navdata includes the VRP's widely used in Europe, I have had to enter hundreds of these one at a time into my G430.

While adding a wpt into the 540 via kb is much less knob-twisting than the G430, I still don't want to have to repeat the process with the 540. I would welcome some way of creating a file offline with all the relevant data fields in the right format that could then be read into the 540 en-masse. If you could provide the necessary data format, I could prepare such a file in advance in anticipation.

Vince
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 7:03pm

I was actually hoping to wirelessly upload my flight plan from my foreflight application running on my iPad directly to the IFD540 via Bluetooth which will then crossload over to my IFD440.....

......maybe someday

:D

Edited by tony - 25 Dec 2014 at 7:06pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:09am
Offline creation and/or tablet creation and uploading are definitely on the to-do list.    Neither are supported in the springtime Release 10.1 but they are high on the to-do list following that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Offline creation and/or tablet creation and uploading are definitely on the to-do list.    Neither are supported in the springtime Release 10.1 but they are high on the to-do list following that.

Be sure to be widely inclusive in the tablet apps supported, don't make it an iOS niche product. I think I remember you writing that you were going to go the route of an open API for developers to use.

But, all that said, it is so quick and easy to enter flight plans into the 540 directly ....

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Dec 2014 at 12:07pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:52pm
Bulk waypoint entry is the most urgent for me due, as mentioned, to the very large number of Europe VRP's (Visual Reporting Points) not in the navdata. I have a couple hundred such wpt entered by hand in the 430 and got blisters doing it. I won't get the blisters with the 540 due to the kb, but it is still a very time-consuming process entering all the geo-refs. Creating a file in the proper data format offline and then bulk loading would be much preferable.

Granted, this is for VFR use rather than IFR, but still ... 

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic