Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppesen only source of navdata.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 11:02pm
I had been using Jepp charts, and its NavSuite and tablet app before my IFD540. The Aviydne package actually saves me money on the deal.

The Jepp software is very powerful, and Jepp charts are not to be beat. I delight in being able to access them on the IFD now, as well.

* Orest

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:18am
Apologies for being lazy, but I figured someone else has probably already had this exact same question. If you buy the chart package for eastern or western US, what's the update process and cost like if you want to add the missing half? (Same question for Canada, I suppose, as my co-owner is Canadian and I know he will be flying up there occasionally).
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:32am
Short answer:  Call Jepp and talk to someone (and hope you get someone who's up to date on the Avidyne packages).

Worst-case, they should give you a pro-rated rebate on the remainder of your current subscription, and apply that to a new annual subscription for the larger package you want.  This is how Jepp handled it for than those of us who upgraded from GNSx30's and still had some months left in our Garmin data subscription.

If there are other options, a Jepp CSR should be able to explain them.  (Don't expect the online system to be able to handle such a change, though.)
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:15pm
This is getting ridiculous.

We really need another vendor option for data for our Avidyne boxes.

It was a comedy trying to get a bundle purchased from Jeppesen(which I did in January) - cost ~ $1K.  That was two months ago.

Now they are billing me again for the full bundle.  Again ~ $1K.

Really, Boeing, can't you find an MBA in your organization to manage these things?

Avidyne needs to partner with somebody else (suggest Seattle Avionics).  At least with them if you have an issue Steve Podrachik fixes it.

EDIT: I acquired one reliable contact at Jepp.  She fixed it.  Avidyne told Jepp they need to permit two downloads for us lucky souls who have two IFD540s.  I am pretty sure, though, Avidyne didn't tell them to bill twice for it.

Fixed, until next Jepp misstep.

Edited by ddgates - 26 Mar 2015 at 12:22pm
David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:45pm
I got one also.  Are you sure this wasn't just a function of Jepp fixing the issue with the downloads.  They had to re-enter everyones order to fix that issue and it resulted in getting a new invoice but I also received an invoice for credits that balanced it out with a net owed of zero between the two.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm
Yes it was related to the double download fix.

The hook is that the invoices indicate an amount due.
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm
Jepp's billing system is absolutely ridiculous.  When I transitioned from my 430W subscription to the IFD subscription, I ended up with THREE invoices:
- One to cancel the existing subscription and create a credit for the unused portion
- One to create the new subscription and charge full price for it
- One to apply the credit to the new subscription

Ridiculous!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:53pm
True, I've had my frustrations through the years, but you can't beat Jepp charts for clarity and layout.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Mar 2015 at 4:54pm
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

True, I've had my frustrations through the years, but you can't beat Jepp charts for clarity and layout.

* Orest

+1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 5:23pm
Maybe.  But I've never had an issue with NACO charts, nor have I had to beat my head against an idiotic billing system to get them.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 6:21pm

* Orest

I'm seriously giving Jepp charts the "college try" and Orest I have to disagree.  Granted I'm only flying in the US and have been using NACO charts for 20+yrs.

I wasn't impressed with the charts, taxiway diagrams and SID/STAR presentation on my last trip to a new unfamiliar airport. The data was all there but I felt like I was doing a "Where's Waldo" to find it.  It definitely wasn't clearer. I just kept asking why the <explitive> did they put that information there?

Because I do want to dump the iPad and carry only my phone as a backup I'm honestly giving the Jepp charts an honest try, but if a NACO option was available and even if it 2x or more expensive than the Jepp option, I would still switch back to NACO in an instant.

Edited by roltman - 26 Mar 2015 at 6:29pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 6:49pm
I am familiar with NACO, CAP (Canada), Euro and Jepp plates.

Flying in the US you have a choice of two. Flying outside and inside the US, the only way to maintain the same format in plates, is with Jepps, and why I went in that direction.

Any format will take a bit to get used to (especially after using one for 20 yrs), and of course in the end everyone will have a personal preference. Using many styles interchangeably, I have to say that I have observed that most other plates are becoming more and more like Jepps in general organization and features. The Jepp Briefing Strip is a prime example. Of course the precise details will always be a little different between designs, perhaps leaving you to scratch your head a bit at first.

There are some older Jepp clinics (PDFs) that fully explain not only the features, but also the whys of the design. More recently they have produced videos, doing much the same. It seems everything has to be a video these days. (ugh)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Mar 2015 at 6:52pm
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:15am

I am familiar with NACO, CAP (Canada), Euro and Jepp plates.

More recently they have produced videos, doing much the same. It seems everything has to be a video these days. (ugh)

* Orest

Thanks to the onset of you tube .... Wait till they have self driving cars !!!! it'll be UGH X 100 !!!! 

I am with you on Jepp They do have ALOT of info on the plates.. but i usually view the plates on forelfight iPad
The thing I like on JEPP is the VSR per speed of craft ... thats pretty cool 

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:02pm
Orest,

Is there any way to view low enroute charts on the 540, or is it just approach plates and Apt diagrams?  I am still on the fence with Jepp (on 540) vs NACO (on Aspen MFD).

Tom Wolf
Phoenix

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:05pm
No, no LO's on the 540.

* Orest

compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:02am
Is the android app to which you refer (flightdeck) only for tablets? I do not see this on my phone. I'd like to view the jepp charts on my phone, too.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:10am
Jepp's app is tablet only, at least in terms of download from the Play Store.

You might be able to install the APK manually onto a phone, as long as it is a high resolution unit, should work OK. But, there may be a stumbling block with the licensing steps.

* Orest

jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:10pm
I have a minor issue that is really no big deal but a bit annoying.  I love the fact that the frequency is identified with a control tower, or center, etc.   However if the database is in error, who fixes it?  Jepp or Avidyne?  127.85 is one of Newark's tower frequencies, I call them all the time.  It's listed on my IFD540 as LaGuardia Tower.  That's not accurate.  I called/emailed Jepp and they say it is correct,  to whom do I appeal?
JWJ
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 9:07am
Originally posted by jwjenks jwjenks wrote:

I have a minor issue that is really no big deal but a bit annoying.  I love the fact that the frequency is identified with a control tower, or center, etc.   However if the database is in error, who fixes it?  Jepp or Avidyne?  127.85 is one of Newark's tower frequencies, I call them all the time.  It's listed on my IFD540 as LaGuardia Tower.  That's not accurate.  I called/emailed Jepp and they say it is correct,  to whom do I appeal?

You could try sending them a copy of the New York TAC chart with the line in the frequency panel that shows 127.85 as being affiliated with Newark highlighted. You can download a pdf of the chart from the FAA's website, http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/ 

David
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 11:09am

Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

You could try sending them a copy of ...

The question is, who is "them" in this case? Does the data for the frequency name come from Jeppesen or Avidyne?

David Bunin

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:31am
I'm pretty sure all data comes from Jeppesen as it can also only be updated through JSUM. Avidyne convert it into a format that their device can read so the error could be in the conversion process but much more likely to be in the source data. So: Jeppesen

Edited by jhbehrens - 05 Jun 2015 at 10:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic