Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

inserting waypoints, initially hidden block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inserting waypoints, initially hidden block
    Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 2:33pm
When the flightplan strip is populated enough to fill the vertical height of screen, and then you start adding a waypoint to the end of the plan, the new waypoint block initially remains hidden except for a thin top strip, you have to turn the small knob to start editing one of the fields, and only then does it pop fully into view.

This is counter intuitive to a new user, who may wonder how to scroll the list up to get to the editable waypoint block, that they just added.

Further, if you are using touch to add the waypoint, you would have to go to the knob to make the waypoint block visible, before you could touch it to get the QWERTY popup.

* Orest

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Further, if you are using touch to add the waypoint, you would have to go to the knob to make the waypoint block visible, before you could touch it to get the QWERTY popup.

Not that this negates your overall point, but...couldn't you also touch the screen and "flick" to scroll the flight plan up to reveal the newly-added waypoint?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:30pm
Actually that is part of the bug/problem, the list won't flick up further in this state!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Dec 2014 at 11:11pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 5:04pm
+1
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:12am
Agreed.  We've addressed that as part of Rel 10.1 (springtime release).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 11:43am
A question concerning rubber banding to insert a waypoint... I'm sure there is a logical reason, but why it is not allowed on the active leg? It would seem that when using it to deviate around weather, that this often happens on the active leg.   It not a big deal but just curious.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

A question concerning rubber banding to insert a waypoint... I'm sure there is a logical reason, but why it is not allowed on the active leg? ..

It was a technical issue, it is more difficult coding/certification and was priortized out. Likely it will appear some time.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:01pm
We've added the ability to rubber band the active leg into Rel 10.1 due out in the spring time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We've added the ability to rubber band the active leg into Rel 10.1 due out in the spring time.

Excellent!

* Orest

edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 1:04pm
Does it use your current location on active leg and the next waypoint as pinned locations when you rubber band current leg in 10.1 ?

Ed
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Great!

Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

Does it use your current location on active leg and the next waypoint as pinned locations when you rubber band current leg in 10.1 ?

This is what I'd like it to do.  If not in 10.1, perhaps that can be a future release.

Edited by brou0040 - 28 Dec 2014 at 2:14pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 10:09pm
Thanks.  I figured there had to be a logical explanation why it cannot be done in the active leg now.  That will be a nice improvement.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:18am
Reference Ed's question about rubber banding the active leg in Rel 10.1, it rubber bands the active leg (the magenta leg that runs from previous waypoint to next waypoint).

Doing what was asked/suggested in the thread above is not really rubber banding the active leg.  Instead, what you're trying to do is a graphical Direct-To for an off-path waypoint that automatically closes the discontinuity that would come along with it.   The first part of the rubber band would have to move with the aircraft until the edit is accepted.  As it is, rubber banding the active leg leaves you off-path of a new leg, presuming you were on-path to begin with.

While I'll admit that is a cool feature/capability too, it is way more complex than rubber banding the magenta leg as defined/depicted on the map.  We are not trying to tackle that more complex feature as part of Rel 10.1

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:10am
Although I'd like it to use the current airplane position as a new waypoint, that should be easy to work around and wouldn't be a priority for me either.  Rubberband as you explain, then direct to that new rubberbanded waypoint is pretty easy.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 4:57pm
On my recent trip, I was reminded of another issue I have seen VERY infrequently and wondered if anyone else has experienced this?  While on the FPL page in the expanded view, I wanted to scroll down to highlight a waypoint to go direct.  I turned the outer large knob to scroll but nothing happened.  I could not scroll up or down.  I wait a few min and tried again with the same result.  Next I went to the MAP page and immediately back to the FPL page and was then able to scroll fine.  I have seen this on only about 3 occasions but wondered if others have or if it is a known bug?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:23pm
Larry,

We refer to the control of knobs/buttons as focus.  There are multiple software processes who can potentially have focus control.    We're not aware of any known bugs that represent this behavior.  Any chance you were using the Freq List just prior to losing control of the IFD knob?

Can you send the Event, System and Flight logs (and identify the date) that cover this event?   Maybe that's covered by the additional log request for the terrain alert issue and if so, obviously no need to send the logs twice.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:57pm
Steve,
To be honest, I can't remember if I had used the Freq List just prior to seeing this but I did see the list of way points on the right that I was attempting to scroll through.  The date is the same as the terrain alert issue:  January 1, 2015.  The logs you requested will be coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic