Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PRICES DROPPING - the gap has closed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PRICES DROPPING - the gap has closed
    Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:56am
Well, it's official.  I loaned Avidyne $10,500 over two years ago and made about 4% on my money.  I kind of expected this to happen, but would I have invested that kind of money if I knew the the savings would amount to $495 two and a half years later?  and that I'd be still waiting in line while walk-up customers were getting their installations done? Probably not.  I probably would have installed a used GNS-430.  So, am I glad I chose the path I did?  Yes, but...

Can Avidyne just ship all units to pre-purchasers NOW?  Seriously! If we can go to Gulf Coast Avionics and buy an IFD-540 and AXP-340 for $13,495 with NO trade-in required, why do we have to be penalized by waiting on shipments for what we paid for already?  Yes, I've got my 540, but others are still waiting, and they'll wait while the price drops and off-the-street customers take delivery.  

I just want my freakin' AXP-340 that was supposed to ship on Nov 24.

***RANT OFF***

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 12:06pm
Avidyne's stance is #$%^ you, if you don't like it, ask for your money back and wait a year to for the check.  They have lost all benefit of the doubt and I now fully believe they intended to screw us over from the beginning - there is no way they could have missed the boat that badly on schedule without seeing it coming.  They may not appreciate my blunt response on their forums, but they have earned it.

They have stated several times that the furlough didn't cause them additional delays (especially considering they were supposed to be certified prior to that fiasco).  Regardless  of the certification delay, them totally ignoring pre-buy month slots was the final straw, I'm month 2 and still don't have my unit.

Rant is not over until this is made right

Edited by brou0040 - 30 Dec 2014 at 12:09pm
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:33pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Avidyne's stance is #$%^ you, if you don't like it, ask for your money back and wait a year to for the check.  They have lost all benefit of the doubt and I now fully believe they intended to screw us over from the beginning - there is no way they could have missed the boat that badly on schedule without seeing it coming.  They may not appreciate my blunt response on their forums, but they have earned it.

They have stated several times that the furlough didn't cause them additional delays (especially considering they were supposed to be certified prior to that fiasco).  Regardless  of the certification delay, them totally ignoring pre-buy month slots was the final straw, I'm month 2 and still don't have my unit.

Rant is not over until this is made right

When I finally get my month 2 unit after later pre-purchasers and everybody else and their mother, getting my unit will not be considered this being made right.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 6:26am
A follow up to my rant...

I finally heard from my Avionics dealer on Dec 31.  My AXP-340 arrived on Friday, Dec 26!!  

I'm still a little disappointed that the pre-purchase deal I made 2-1/2 years ago didn't buy me much of anything, but I've got my stuff now, and there's no time to look back.

I just have to wait 3 weeks until my A&P/IA can get to my plane for its annual, and THEN I can take the plane back to the Avionics guy for the transponder installation.  A scheduling nightmare, but it will be over soon enough.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 11:02am
There may be better ways to handle this still but I did want to directly address these observations/complaints on the forum.

I can certainly understand and sympathize with the frustration shared by pburger and brou0040 (and others).   It may not help these two but for anyone else who is anxiously waiting for an IFD delivery(s) and don't have an acceptable date, please voice your specific concern and request to us (try jbutson@avidyne.com or sjacobson@avidyne.com).   We have been ramping up production significantly to meet demand and are attempting to pull in all pre-buy folks who do not yet have a unit(s).

With respect to brou0040 Month 2 status - I have no idea what happened here but will check on 5 Jan.  We're way past month 2 deliveries.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 11:36am
My avionics shop will confirm when they get back from their holiday vacation, but Avidyne has stated that my 540 shipped earlier this month.  Either though I my shop may actually now have my 540, this is still way beyond month 2 and beyond later month pre-purchasers.  Now I'm hearing that Avidyne doesn't even have a record of my transponder purchase and needs to wait until my shop is back to track down a PO.  I'm supposed to be flying my airplane down to the shop on Sat, but it sound like I'll be missing my transponder.  Avidyne was going to contact the regional rep and get back to me, but I haven't heard back, guess I'll have to keep babysitting this myself.  Since I'm not going to fly down if my equipment isn't there.  Regardless, it looks like my install will get pushed back even further due to late deliveries.

Thank you for not trying to blow off my frustrations with excuses and telling me I should be happy because of the "deal" that I supposedly got.  That is all I've heard until now and all that has done is fan the flames.  It's great that you've had several large full price purchases that created a large demand, but that is not an excuse to breach my month 2 delivery or justify how transponder deal played out.

Edited by brou0040 - 01 Jan 2015 at 11:42am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 12:11pm
My shop confirmed that my 540 arrived, but my installation has been postponed because the transponder I ordered in October has not arrived.  I also never received my call back from Avidyne trying to track down what happened to the transponder, as of now they are claiming they can't find the order...  They also told me that even if they find the order and that it was supposed to have already shipped, they don't have any in stock to get out to me.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 2:17pm
brou0040,

My status is about the same as yours. My 540 arrived but installation is pending arrival of the transponder ordered about the same time as yours. Latest word is to expect transponder delivery mid to late January. Based on past experience and to avoid repeated disappointment, I've added about a month to that so if it arrives anytime before end-February I'll be "positively" surprised.

Vince

Vince
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 11:55pm
All I can say is it was worth the wait even though I didn't wait that long as I got in on the end of the prebuy. Like my 540 so much I went and ordered the package deal from Gulf Coast for an upcoming Aerostar purchase. They will not get the transponders in til the end of the month, but I'm in no rush as I don't even have the airplane yet. The Gulf Coast deal ends at the end of January. No more prices dropping. In fact they will be going back up absent the free transponder deal. Your "gap" will be opening back up and you will be enjoying your wise decision to get in on the early prebuy offer.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:55am
Joe, I did the same thing. I was lucky to have ordered last Wednesday the 7th and got everything including transponder on Monday the 12th. Both came with "free" install kits too.

Back to avionics shop this Thursday for the install, unfortunately being one of the very first, my first IFD540 has the VHF issue so It'll be headed back to Avidyne.

Gulf Coast bought my used 430W and GNX330 transponder for a reasonable price as well.

Edited by roltman - 17 Jan 2015 at 9:56am
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:09am
Got a IFD 540, 340 and 240 installed in my 172 last week,  All but the ADSB working great.  (Avidyne has software to fix shortly, I fly the NY Hudson corridor twice a month and I checked with the FAA tech guys and the controllers just use the encoded Grey code for most of their work anyway so the ADSB is just a twinkle in the controllers dream right now.) Shot the GPS approach to my home base on the second flight with one read of the manual.  It was a replacement for an old Garmin G60 so I didn't need it right away, I'm glad I waited and didn't get a G530.   Bigger, faster, and cheaper - what more could a pilot want.
JWJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic