Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Rings clutter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Rings clutter
    Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 8:34pm
On several occasions the range rings have obscured intersections indentification. This created a distraction when trying to find an intersection only to find that it was obscured by the range rings. I'm thinking that this distraction at a critical point in flight is unwanted and dangerous. Why has Avidyne not programmed a switch to toogle the rings on or off? Please advise.

I emailed support for a answer and got no response which is troubling also. HELP
DV
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:54pm
For the 1st paragraph, I have a 3-part response:

1.  When I find myself in a similar situation, I pinch zoom the map (or knob zoom it) a little to see detail I need.
2.  We do have a means to turn the compass rose off which I find to be the biggest culprit in obscuring data.  You can get to that toggle via the Map Setup option on the AUX page, Setup tab.
3.  We have a long term candidate for possible future inclusion feature that provides a on/off ability for the map range rings.  To date, it keeps falling well below the cut off line for each release.  Maybe someday....

For the 2nd paragraph, I'm not proud of that.  What email did you use for support?  I wouldn't mind running that one to ground.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:28am
Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I have turned the compass rose off and that was a help. I just really try to keep things as simple and thereby safe as possible. Range rings are great in many stages of flight but I don't believe they Are needed when flying an approach. I'm happy to hear that my issue is already on the radar. I'm surprise you are not getting many comments about it. I'll pass along that email when I get a chance to look for it.
DV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic