Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Hardware Mods Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Hardware Mods Primer
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:33am

There are a handful of hardware mods that have been made to the IFD540s since original cert.  Some folks are interested in knowing what those were and what their cut-in dates were/does their box contain the mods.

There are exceptions to the following summary (e.g. an IFD came in for service after original ship date and may have had a mod(s) applied, an IFD may have been held in production test for some reason and had delayed shipment and therefore a mod(s) applied prior to ship, etc) but in general, here are the mods and their cut-in serial number and ship dates:

OBS Calibration - S/N 1433xxxxx and later,  15 Sep 2014 ship date or later

DME Hardware Mod - S/N 1445xxxxx and later, 24 Nov 2014 ship date or later  (there are 12 exceptions)

Standby Com - S/N 1450xxxxx and later,  27 Jan 2015 ship date or later (there are 18 exceptions)

Since there were a number of exceptions (at least 30), if you really want to know what your unit has, supply your IFD(s) serial number and I can tell you exactly.

One more tip - when reading serial numbers, the first two digits are the calendar year of manufacture and the next two digits are the week in that year of manufacture.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:05am

Thanks for the update!  This will be a great place to keep us posted as things come up.

Are hardware mods covered under warranty or will Avidyne charge for those?  Is there any problem waiting until November when my plane's  IFR cert is due to see if any other hardware issues have come up and get the standby COM update done then?

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:28am
Software updates get posted to your website.  Do you also post hardware updates?  I didn't realize there was a hardware mod for the standby audio.  My unit could have been sent back for this mod while it waited in the shop for the install date.  I'm guessing I just don't know the correct location to be checking for updates.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:44am
Where's the VHF issue cut in date?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:36am
Are you talking about the ability to send VHF Standby Comm out of the IFD? If so, that's the 27 Jan 2015 ship date. Units that shipped on 27 Jan started assembly back in Nov so that's when the mod began to be applied.

Edited by AviJake - 19 Feb 2015 at 8:37am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:40am
We haven't had a clean way for end users to get a handle on existing hardware mods. I think I'll create a new page accessible from the IFD540 product page that puts the various hardware and software release/mods in one spot. That should be up next week.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We haven't had a clean way for end users to get a handle on existing hardware mods. I think I'll create a new page accessible from the IFD540 product page that puts the various hardware and software release/mods in one spot. That should be up next week.

Thank you.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 11:43am

Your list of mods was informative, but you didn't include the mod numbers, so I can't figure out what mod numbers go with what.

Here's what the sticker says on my unit:  Serial M144130988, P/N 700-00182-000 REV:01

Mod 1[ ], 2[x], 3[x], 4[x], 5[ ], 6[ ],........

So what has been done? What needs to be done? Hardware? Software?  I tried looking this up on MyAvidyne but there's nothing there.

FWIW, The unit is still in the box and hasn't been installed yet.

Thanks

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 3:20pm
Okay, that's the Advanced Placement level of understanding.     I may regret this since it may cause more questions than answers but under the Effective Date column,

Rev 00 - Initial Ship
Rev 01 - OBS Cal
Rev 02 - Internal Use (Ethernet connectivity)
Rev 03 - DME
Rev 04 - Standby Audio

You will likely be confused by the table below.   in the example posed by ATW, Mod 4 equates to Rev 01 which means they have the OBS Cal and that's it.

Given that, now try this:

SERVICE UNIT REV Effective Date
MOD'S 1 REV04 08/22/14 (REV00)
MOD'S 2 04 8/22/2014 (REV01)
MOD'S 3 06 OR 05 DEV 14-027 9/25/2014 (REV02)
RWK-ACR-LIO-RIB 05
MOD'S 4 06 11/21/2014 (REV03)
MOD'S 5 08 12/11/2014 (REV04)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 4:10pm
Well, you were certainly correct when you said that I would likely be confused by the table.

But I'm pretty sure that I understand that my mod 4 unit has only Rev 01 on it, and still has Revs 02, 03, and 04 to go. That means a round trip to the factory, correct? It already did one round trip last month.

The rev I really want is 04, the standby audio, which won't really do anything until the next software release comes out. But my unit is just sitting, waiting to be installed. I want to fly it in April when the ice starts to melt in Wisconsin. Should I send the box to the factory now and get the revs done? Or wait for more stuff later?

Thanks

Mike

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:01am
Mike,

There are no more active mods currently underway.  Send me your serial number and I'll double check the exact pedigree of your unit before sending any recommendation.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:32am

Dumb Question if you don't mind. <G>

What is the status of the TAWS option which I paid for when the initial order for my IFD540 was placed?

No big rush to get it, but I do have money involved!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:15am

Mike,

There are no more active mods currently underway.  Send me your serial number and I'll double check the exact pedigree of your unit before sending any recommendation.

AviJake,

It sounds like you are actively working to improve the product so I'm under the impression that even after next set of current mods underway that there may be more yet to follow.  What is our ability to get these mods.  I know that Avidyne has been doing these under warranty, but who pays for the shipping, does this have to be done through the dealer or can I have the local A&P remove ship and reinstall?  How many times will Avidyne cover sending the unit back for hardware mods - should I wait until the mods are stable or can I get the standby audio now and send it back again in the future to get whatever mods are available then?
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:02am
BobsV35B:

I believe you can request a refund for the TAWS option if you already paid for it or
wait for some future date of availability.
Gary-T
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:12am

Good Morning Gary T.,

Not interested in any refund, just happily waiting for a progress report on the TAWS-B that I ordered (and paid for). Wonder if it is a two year or five year thing. Not pushing, just curious.

Do not wish to be forgotten.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:22am

Mike,

Thanks, but I called your tech support guys on Monday and read my label to them. They were quite friendly and quickly figured out that I need a hardware mod. So my unit is making a vacation trip to sunny Florida.

That's probably the way I should have handled it to start with. This forum is great but the real tech support folks are there for a reason.

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:15am
I don't see a response to the recurring questions above about handling of return of IFDs for mods.

Once again, it is very disappointing to find out NOW that another downside of being a prepurchaser is units that are not current.

I presume 143125184 and 143125273 have no chance of being current?

Edited by ddgates - 26 Feb 2015 at 7:21am
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:19am
ddgates,

I originally read AviJake's thread wrong thinking he said there were active mods in development, but he said there wasn't.  I'd still like to see my question answered because I still believe there are likely to be more mods.

I too am disappointed about the standby audio hardware mod.  My unit sat in the shop waiting for install while this could have been updated.  My plan all along was to have it wired for standby audio and wait for the software.  Now I'm going to have to take my new unit out and send it back. 

I wish my question about having the A&P shipping it back would have been answered because my shop left yesterday until Monday and if the dealer has to ship it back, it could have been sent out for the mod worked on today/tomorrow and have it back to the shop with minimal down time.  Since I need to get the airplane out of the shop for some trips I can't reschedule, if the dealer has to send it back, I may have to fly with a reduced stack and a hole in the panel for awhile until I can get back to the shop to have in reinstalled.  Exactly what I was hoping for...

Edited by brou0040 - 26 Feb 2015 at 11:21am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 12:17pm
Steve,

My unit should have arrived in Melbourne today (Thurs, Feb 26, 2015).  My serial number is M1444331XX, and the P/N is 700-00182-000 REV:02.  There are no MODs checked.

I had my shop request the DME SIL and the VHF comm SIL.  I didn't mention the standby COM mod, but I of course want that.  

Can I assume that ALL mods will be done, and the firmware will be updated to 10.0.3?  Or, do I need to contact customer support and specifically request each individual mod?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 12:19pm
I would give tech support a phone call on issues like that. I've found them very good for detail stuff like that. I just called them to fix up the listing in MyAvidyne for my units. Done in 24 hours.

Here, it is more the big picture stuff I think.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic