Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MLB100 with Aspen EFD1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB100 with Aspen EFD1000
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:41am
Hi everyone,

We have recently pulled the trigger on an install of an Aspen EFD1000 Pro as well as and IFD540 and AXP340. We are looking forward to our install date in early April at Gulf Coast Avionics in Lakeland. Since we agreed the install above we have obtained some financing, and are hoping to add an AMX240 and considering a MLB100.

I have been researching and reading as much as I can about all these various avionics, but I am struggling to find a clear description of how the MLB100 might/might not play with the Aspen PFD. We (my wife and I) are both new to aviation and ownership and working on clawing our way up the learning curve as quickly as possible.

One specific question:

1/ Would MLB100 traffic & weather be shared with the Aspen panel as well as on the IFD540?

Thanks kindly!
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:53am

Short answer is "we don't know".

More long-winded version:   The initial release of the MLB100 will display data on the IFD540.   We will publish the protocol so that other vendors (Aspen in this example) can elect to support the output on their display.  But, of course, it will be up to Aspen to actually provide that support and make it available and obviously, that is out of our control.

Congrats on the upcoming gear installations.   That's a great combo of equipment - I've got all of that (EFD1000 Pro, IFD540, AXP340, AMX240 and MLB100) in my test airplane!

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:11am
Thanks kindly for the response!
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
I saw the Aspen folks (Rob Blaha et al) at the Reno Air Races over the weekend and asked this question in person.  According to him, if the MLB or other products output RS232 in a capstone compatible format the Aspen should be able to display that traffic.  If it's RS422 then it may require a 422->232 converter or possible could work by tying the two low lines together.  I think I'd use a converter.

(Avi)Steve, have you talked to Rob or others at Aspen about this yet?  If not, I could put you in touch with them - or you could just call him.  He said he might reach out to you on this subject to see about compatibility.  I'll follow up on this thread and by phone with both companies if I don't hear anything by the end of the week since I also want a definitive answer on this question.  I don't want to buy two boxes to do one thing.

Edited by TogaDriver - 21 Sep 2015 at 7:18pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

if the MLB or other products output RS232 in a capstone compatible format the Aspen should be able to display that traffic.  If it's RS422 then it may require a 422->232 converter or possible could work by tying the two low lines together.  I think I'd use a converter.

As a temporary hookup (waiting for the TAS6XX"A" upgrades), I had my shop feed all the MLB100 ADS-B traffic to my Aspen MFD, while ADS-B Wx from the MLB100 displays on the 540 along with TAS traffic output feeding directly to the 540 and Aspen PFD - so PFD displays TAS Traffic, IFD540 displays TAS traffic and ADS-BWx, and Aspen MFD receives ADS-B Traffic.

The MFD display of traffic - ADS-B from MLB - is very spotty and inconsistent compared to iPad display from Stratus-1 (I believe 978 only ADS-B from ground stations and air-to-air).  Not sure what to make of this except that the throuput from MLB to display on Aspen MFD seems to lack some compatibility... at present.

Tom Wolf
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:30am
Originally posted by mkellock mkellock wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have recently pulled the trigger on an install of an Aspen EFD1000 Pro as well as and IFD540 and AXP340. We are looking forward to our install date in early April at Gulf Coast Avionics in Lakeland. Since we agreed the install above we have obtained some financing, and are hoping to add an AMX240 and considering a MLB100.

I have been researching and reading as much as I can about all these various avionics, but I am struggling to find a clear description of how the MLB100 might/might not play with the Aspen PFD. We (my wife and I) are both new to aviation and ownership and working on clawing our way up the learning curve as quickly as possible.

One specific question:

1/ Would MLB100 traffic & weather be shared with the Aspen panel as well as on the IFD540?

Thanks kindly!

I was reviewing some of the posts related to the MLB100 and the IFD.  I'm guessing that your plane was in the shop at Gulf Coast just after we left.  We were flight testing our install all the way up to the Friday before Sun N Fun of that year.  We had the IFD540, AXP340, Aspen 1000 Pro, Garmin GNC255A, STEC 30, PSE PMA450, and a JPI EDM900.  We also did the pre-wire for the MLB100 since it wasn't certified then.  Since then we have installed the now re-branded SkyTrax100 at ASI which is local to us here in KY.

I got my instrument rating with the new panel in six days about two months after the install.

How is your panel working out for you?  I love mine and my instrument instructor thought that things were too easy so he started disabling things like Autocourse.

It might be a little overkill for a C172, but I'm happy and more importantly, so is my wife.

Woo Hoo!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 10:53am
I've been nagging both Avidyne and Aspen about this fir several years. It should not be that difficult to get an answer as to whether the MLB outputs can play on the Aspen. At one point, Avidyne was going to ask for an Aspen loaner, and at another point Avidyne was going to see if the MLB would play on the CEO's Lake. AFAIK, neither happened.

There are quite a few Aspens in this fleet, and it would enhance the value of the MLB if it would play on the Adpen.

Of course, there would be a $795 unlock fee to Aspen, but I would pay it if I knew it would work.

I've even considered installing a second receiver, a FreeFlight, which is now known to work with the Aspens. I'd rather use, though, what I already have.
David Gates
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:51am
I have active traffic (SkyWatch) and it's traffic output was originally displayed on all my screens (Aspen EFD, 540/440 and EX5000 MFD) prior to 10.2 and 4.1 software updates.

After my software was upgraded, I had my avionics shop "turn on" ADS-B traffic to the IFD 540/440. I forgot to tell them that the Aspen was also enabled to show traffic. The avionics tech and I were both surprised to see ADS-B traffic showing up on the Aspen.

Targets are displayed in the older style diamond shape with relative altitude rather than the newer arrowheads with a trend vector line that I see on the IFD's but they are definitely ADS-B derived. I still have Skywatch displayed on the MFD so it's easy to compare sources.

I don't know if it's actually supposed to work but it definitely does in my case.
Ron L
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I've been nagging both Avidyne and Aspen about this fir several years. It should not be that difficult to get an answer as to whether the MLB outputs can play on the Aspen. At one point, Avidyne was going to ask for an Aspen loaner, and at another point Avidyne was going to see if the MLB would play on the CEO's Lake. AFAIK, neither happened.

There are quite a few Aspens in this fleet, and it would enhance the value of the MLB if it would play on the Adpen.

Of course, there would be a $795 unlock fee to Aspen, but I would pay it if I knew it would work.

I've even considered installing a second receiver, a FreeFlight, which is now known to work with the Aspens. I'd rather use, though, what I already have.

I get the same stonewalling.  Once I program my course and/or approach, I don't look at my IFD540 much at all.  It is in the center stack and all pertinent information is displayed on the Aspen, which is right in front of me.  That is where I'd really like to see ADS-B.  I'm not sure about weather though, might be a  bit cluttered with it.

While I'm ranting at Aspen, I would love to have the AOA software update but $2000 for a software patch is just highway robbery.  I understand that they need to recoup development costs, but jeesh, not all at once.
Woo Hoo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic