Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IFD540/440 Integrations with Aspen EFDs and ACUs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540/440 Integrations with Aspen EFDs and ACUs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540/440 Integrations with Aspen EFDs and ACUs
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 5:29pm
There are understandably a number of folks confused with why they do or do not have certain features on the IFD540 when connected to an Aspen EFD.   I've tried to put together a summary table of the various Aspen configurations when connected to an IFD540.   You can see there are three basic configs:

1.  EFD only, no ACU involved
2.  EFD + ACU  (I called this ACU1 in previous posts)
3.  EFD + ACU2

The ACUs are essentially a "happy box" or signal interface box.  

For features like VSR datablock and Winds datablock and Advisory Glideslope to work, the IFD540 needs baro input  (baro corrected pressure altitude and TAS) among other things.   You can see there are some configurations below that provide that data, and some that don't.

The one that had most people wanting for more is Advisory Glideslope.  If you don't have an Aspen configuration that supports it now (one that sends baro corrected pressure altitude), don't fret, that capability will come along "for free" with Release 10.1.0.0 in the spring.  In that release, if we don't have baro corrected altitude, we'll use GPS altitude instead.

ACU Configuration Data Transmitted Comments

No ACU, pre EFD v2.0 SW Selected Course  
No ACU, pre EFD v2.0 SW Magnetic Heading  

No ACU, EFD v2.0 or later SW Selected Course  
No ACU, EFD v2.0 or later SW Magnetic Heading  
No ACU, EFD v2.0 or later SW Pressure Altitude Can tap into pins 26 and 27 on EFD to access EFD air data directly
No ACU, EFD v2.0 or later SW Baro Corrected Pressure Altitude Can tap into pins 26 and 27 on EFD to access EFD air data directly
No ACU, EFD v2.0 or later SW True Airspeed Can tap into pins 26 and 27 on EFD to access EFD air data directly

ACU, All EFD Software Selected Course  
ACU, All EFD Software Magnetic Heading  

ACR2, All EFD Software Selected Course  
ACR2, All EFD Software Magnetic Heading  
ACR2, All EFD Software Pressure Altitude  
ACR2, All EFD Software Baro Corrected Pressure Altitude  
ACR2, All EFD Software True Airspeed  

Edited by AviJake - 23 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 5:40pm
Another example of going beyond expectations.

One other item, though, Steve.

With an ACU1 in place, can the other parameters be picked off the EFD pins, and if so, how to wire to 540(s)?

And, if one waits and is Ok with WAAS altitude, will winds and VSR drive off WAAS altitude (I think your description said that 10.1.0.0 would do that)?

Edited by ddgates - 23 Feb 2015 at 5:49pm
David Gates
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 5:49pm
Steve,

Thanks for the information.  Just to clarify.  Nothing is easy... My airplane has the ACU so I would fall into the 2 lines which start with ACU.  Is it possible to bypass the ACU and tap into pins 26 and 27 on the EFD air data directly?

Jack
Jack Seubert
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Jack Seubert Jack Seubert wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the information.  Just to clarify.  Nothing is easy... My airplane has the ACU so I would fall into the 2 lines which start with ACU.  Is it possible to bypass the ACU and tap into pins 26 and 27 on the EFD air data directly?

Jack

It is physically possible to do that, but I have been told that that interconnection is contrary to ASPEN's STC. Whether your shop will do that or not, is up to them.

It is highly unlikely that your wings would fall off.

* Orest

GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:16am
Quote For features like VSR datablock and Winds datablock and Advisory Glideslope to work, the IFD540 needs baro input  (baro corrected pressure altitude and TAS) among other things.   You can see there are some configurations below that provide that data, and some that don't.

Thanks, Steve.  That explains why I'm not seeing the any information in the datablocks for either the winds aloft or VSR.  I'm sure my Aspen EDF1000 Pro, which was installed in 2010, only has ACU1.

Rather than going to the considerable expense of switching to ACU2, I think I'll just wait for Avidyne to release Software 10.1.0.0, which will allow these features to work (along with Advisory Glideslope) in the absence of Baro Alt information.  When this spring do you think that will be?

Mike

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 24 Feb 2015 at 2:18am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
I checked the Aspen install manual.

Air data can be picked off PFD pins 26 and 27 IF NO ACU, but apparently not if either type ACU is connected and configured.

Options for those of us with an ACU are to use GPS data in 10.1.0.0 or change ACU to ACU2.
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:09pm
More news from Aspen.  I have been E-mailing with Customer Support and the latest news is that there is a revision to the install manual which should help out the Aspen owners.  Tim McNany sent me a message in reply to my question about connecting directly to pins 27 and 28 with an ACU also installed.  His response: The one statement in the Installation Manual (below Figure 3-2) that prohibited the direct connection to pins 26/27 has been removed in Revision BA.  This revision will be available within a few weeks so your installation in April will not be a problem. 

Jack Seubert
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:49pm
That is good news.

How would pins 26 and 27 wire to the 540?
David Gates
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 6:02pm
I have a new install of an Aspen EFD1000 and IFD540. In general, everything appears to be correct but I have two features that don't seem to be working. I don't have a heading bug showing up on the IFD540. Which I think should be there, and should match the Aspen heading setting, and I don't seem to be able to get the VOR course depiction line as shown on page 5-10 of the pilots guide to show up either.  GPSS works well, I have flown a WAAS autopilot coupled approach and everything works properly. Course waypoints are displayed on the Aspen, so data is going in that direction. With a VOR tuned on the IFD, I have a good ID signal and the Aspen will give me VLOC1, which is the IFD540, as a nav source, so its getting good data. It sort of looks like no course data is going back to the Aspen. I have called Avidyne tech support and the shop that did the install, but no answer so far. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this. 

When I look at the IFD540 main inputs page in maintenance mode, I can see OAT data, so it looks like the Aspen is sending data to the IFD540 as well. However the values for the selected course in the main inputs page are all dashes. There is no response to spinning the course pointer on the Aspen.

Any thoughts?   
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
Congrats and thank you on the IFD540 purchase.

As part of Release 10.1.0.0, I will be publishing a clearer description of the VOR course line integration with the various EFIS's out there - many are slightly different from each other in behavior based on what they do or do not transmit/accept.

This might be a little too gobbly gook for you but here goes......

You won’t get the VLOC course line using an Aspen. The Aspen stops sending the selected course data in VLOC mode as it resolves the course error internally by taking the difference between 429 label 0222 (VOR Omnibearing) and their course pointer. There’s no need for them to send the selected course over 429 to us, so they don’t. It works only with some EFISs that continue to send course data in VLOC, like the Sandel SN3308 EHSI.

As for the Heading Bug, it has to do with how your installer has configured the Aspen and your IFD. We will only use the Aspen special label for selected heading if you are configured for Honeywell EFIS. Your Aspen may not support sending that data as it is an unofficial label we reverse engineered in 2.6.2 of the Aspen software. It’s actually coming from a message intended for their ACU to drive an analog heading output, although I believe we are an all-digital setup and that label 0105 is there.

You or your installer should check that you are configured for Honeywell EFIS on your IFD, then  report back your Aspen software information for the IOP (I/O Processor) and MAP (Main Application Processor).

As for your Mx depiction of selected course, I’d have to look into it  but I believe that is just the analog/OBS input, not the 429 input that gets routed to that field.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 12:01am
Hi Steve

Thanks for the detailed answer. the IFD540 is set up for Honeywell EFIS. Ill check the software revisions, but the Aspen is new as of December of last year so it should be the latest revision of software. It sounds like to have the VOR course work Aspen has to do something to their software. I used to have an Apollo stack with GX60 MX20 setup that while very limited compared to the IFD/Aspen combination had this feature where the VOR radial OBS set on the SL30 was displayed on the moving map. It was very useful departing IFR out of LA, where they often give you departure directions to join a radial onto your filed course. this allowed you to see the radial easily on the moving map, improving situational awareness. I can use the Aspen bearing pointers, but its not the same as the moving map VOR line. If you can figure out a way to get this to work with the Aspen Id really appreciate it.

I should say In general I'm very happy with the IFD540 setup with the Aspen. Although I had the install done late last year, I just had my first long flight with the setup. I flew it down to LaPaz Mexico and back from KLVK last week. IFR in the states and VFR in Mexico. I really like the interface and in general the system and software works very well. No regrets on the decision. I got the free transponder deal and have foreflight and a stratus 2, so looking forward to connectivity enhancements with wifi and bluetooth.

Ben 

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 1:26pm
Steve

I have an Aspen + ACU2 wired to the IFD (as it was to the 530W before it). In my settings the ARINC 492 port connected to the ACU2's out is set to 'EFIS/Airdata', not 'Honeywell EFIS' as the install manual recommends. I think this is because we changed it from Honeywell EFIS to EFIS/Airdata when we added the ACU2 two years ago as that made the 530W pick up the new air data sources. When I upgraded to my IFD540 the installer just copied the settings from the 530W. I seem to get air data as I have a wind vector and VSR. But I see no heading bug on the IFD.

I have Aspen's 2.6.5 software loaded as well as your 10.0.3.0 software on the IFD.

Should I have it changed to 'Honeywell EFIS'?

Edited by jhbehrens - 13 Mar 2015 at 1:29pm
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:01pm

Question:

If an Aspen is connected to an IFD540, can the Aspen be set so that it displays the GPS on the HSI bearing selector, and VLOC1 simultaneously on one of the two RMI needles? That is, does the IFD540 send both GPS and VLOC1 bearing info to the Aspen at the same time? Or is it just one or the other?

Thanks

Mike

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 5:28pm

More news from Aspen.  I have been E-mailing with Customer Support and the latest news is that there is a revision to the install manual which should help out the Aspen owners.  Tim McNany sent me a message in reply to my question about connecting directly to pins 27 and 28 with an ACU also installed.  His response: The one statement in the Installation Manual (below Figure 3-2) that prohibited the direct connection to pins 26/27 has been removed in Revision BA.  This revision will be available within a few weeks so your installation in April will not be a problem. 

My installer doesn't want to grab the 429 data off those two pins when an ACU is installed. I have the new Aspen Installation Manual (version BA). You are right, the text below Figure 3-2 is gone. But Note 2 on Figure 9-28A says you can only take the data directly off pins 26 and 27 when no ACU is installed. Does anyone know of any relief for that?

VOR #2 and the autopilot are both connected through the ACU, so we have to have one. We'd like air data too but without the expense of an ACU2.

Thanks

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:25pm
+100
David Gates
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

Question:

If an Aspen is connected to an IFD540, can the Aspen be set so that it displays the GPS on the HSI bearing selector, and VLOC1 simultaneously on one of the two RMI needles? That is, does the IFD540 send both GPS and VLOC1 bearing info to the Aspen at the same time? Or is it just one or the other?

Thanks

Mike

Yes it does.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

Question:

Thanks

Mike

Yes it does.

Dank u vel!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 5:29pm

Steve

I have an Aspen + ACU2 wired to the IFD (as it was to the 530W before it). In my settings the ARINC 492 port connected to the ACU2's out is set to 'EFIS/Airdata', not 'Honeywell EFIS' as the install manual recommends. I think this is because we changed it from Honeywell EFIS to EFIS/Airdata when we added the ACU2 two years ago as that made the 530W pick up the new air data sources. When I upgraded to my IFD540 the installer just copied the settings from the 530W. I seem to get air data as I have a wind vector and VSR. But I see no heading bug on the IFD.

I have Aspen's 2.6.5 software loaded as well as your 10.0.3.0 software on the IFD.

Should I have it changed to 'Honeywell EFIS'?

I think so.  I have mine set to Honeywell EFIS and I have a working and responsive heading bug.  But I need to check on a few things on Monday since I think I have a non-conventional installation.  Will post an update in a few days.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

... Should I have it changed to 'Honeywell EFIS'?

I think so.  I have mine set to Honeywell EFIS and I have a working and responsive heading bug.  But I need to check on a few things on Monday since I think I have a non-conventional installation.  Will post an update in a few days.

I have tried both Honeywell and airdata/EFIS. Can't get a heading bug on the IFD540. (ASPEN + ACU2)

I'm wondering if that data only "escapes" the ASPEN, when the 429 line is wired directly, bypassing the ACUx.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Mar 2015 at 7:36pm
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 9:29pm
My avionics shop informed me today of a problem interfacing the Aspen to the IFD540 and EX600.  The heading data from the Aspen (Arinc 429 I believe) gets properly sent to both units because the correct heading is shown numerically on both units.  But when "heading up" is selected on either display it shows some random orientation.  The shop contacted your tech support about this and I believe they were told this has not been seen before.  Do you have further insight into this?

Thanks,
Jim
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 1:20pm
Mike, and David,

I have been E-mailing with Tim after your post on 13 March.  He indicated to me that he would be willing to talk to my installer and verify to him that the use of pins 27 and 28 can be used with the ACU installed. Tim stated to me that he is well known amongst the Aspen dealers, but he elaborated with:Tim McNany – Field Service out of California.  So, I think you can have your installer talk to Tim and clear it up regarding the installation.

Jack
Jack Seubert
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 2:41pm
Very interested.

Please let us know where this goes.

Thankd
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 2:46pm
Verified that I'm bypassing all ACUs in the Avidyne test airplane and that's why I've got a fully integrated heading bug on the IFD540.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 5:05pm

Verified that I'm bypassing all ACUs in the Avidyne test airplane and that's why I've got a fully integrated heading bug on the IFD540.

... and that is with a Honeywell setting, correct?

* Orest

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 5:32pm

Mike, and David,

I have been E-mailing with Tim after your post on 13 March.  He indicated to me that he would be willing to talk to my installer and verify to him that the use of pins 27 and 28 can be used with the ACU installed. Tim stated to me that he is well known amongst the Aspen dealers, but he elaborated with:Tim McNany – Field Service out of California.  So, I think you can have your installer talk to Tim and clear it up regarding the installation.

Jack

Thanks for your efforts.

The problem is that the Aspen Installation Manual specifically says in at least two places that you must pull air data off ACU2 if an ACU is installed. There is no provision to access the pins directly unless there is no ACU. 

My installer will not go against a printed, FAA--approved installation manual. I don't think that the opinion of anyone at Aspen is likely to change his mind unless the manual is revised to permit this connection.

It would really help if we could get Mr. McNany to get the manual revised.

Thanks

Mike

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 6:03pm
Mike,
I am certainly in your corner regarding the need for Aspen to revise the manual.  We are not going to accomplish that on this forum.  It might be useful for your installer to speak with Tim and let them work out what can be done.  If enough installers a speak to Aspen about this situation, they will likely revise the manual if there is no physical or electrical problem with doing that.  I suspect that most folks at Aspen do not know about the capabilities of the IFD compared to the older generation Garmin radios.

Jack
Jack Seubert
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:36pm

I passed this info to my installer. He knows Tim and will talk to him. We'll see what happens!

Mike

jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 10:35am
Originally posted by jblodgett jblodgett wrote:

My avionics shop informed me today of a problem interfacing the Aspen to the IFD540 and EX600.  The heading data from the Aspen (Arinc 429 I believe) gets properly sent to both units because the correct heading is shown numerically on both units.  But when "heading up" is selected on either display it shows some random orientation.  The shop contacted your tech support about this and I believe they were told this has not been seen before.  Do you have further insight into this?

Thanks,
Jim

I never got an answer on this.  Will this bug be corrected in the next release?

Thanks,
Jim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:17pm
Doesn't ring any bells with me.    I use that configuration all the time in the test airplane (Aspen supplying heading to IFD540 and IFD540 map set to heading up) with no issues whatsoever.

When and who did your shop contact?  Did they send datalogs from the 540?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:40pm

Doesn't ring any bells with me.    I use that configuration all the time in the test airplane (Aspen supplying heading to IFD540 and IFD540 map set to heading up) with no issues whatsoever.

When and who did your shop contact?  Did they send datalogs from the 540?

Steve,

The install was done by Airborne Electronics at Sacramento Executive.  Randy is my contact there and he says he will call you tomorrow.  They are still working on the installation and I have not seen it yet.

I am a bit confused about what it is doing but this is what I think it is.  The IFD-540 display is north-up regardless of what is selected (n-u, heading or track).  Nevertheless, the correct heading from the Aspen (arinc-429) is displayed in a box at the top of the IFD-540 display.  The EX-600 appears to display track-up regardless of what is selected.

Randy said that the other shop on the field (Executive Autopilots) also just completed an IFD-540/EX-600 install and had the same problem.

-Jim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:45pm
Okay.  We'll want to know what the User Options page item labeled "Map Orientation" is set to.  The Pilot Guide snippet for that is:

Map Orientation Heading-Up* - the map will be
displayed in heading up
orientation if heading is available;

Track-Up – the map will be
displayed in track up orientation

Note: Even though Heading-Up
is the default selection, if there is
no heading source, then the
default reverts to Track-Up.
Potential heading sources include
digital heading from an
ARINC429 source (e.g. EFIS),
WX500, serial 232 heading
source and, analog synchro
heading input.

And, here is a note from the Pilot Guide that may also explain the behavior being observed:

NOTE
Map Orientation Without GPS
The map orientation will auto-switch from track-up
orientation to north-up orientation when GPS is lost.
Pilots who leave the map orientation in track-up
during shutdown may notice the map will start up in
north-up until a GPS position fix is available, at
which time the map will auto-switch back to trackup.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 6:41pm

Okay.  We'll want to know what the User Options page item labeled "Map Orientation" is set to.  The Pilot Guide snippet for that is:

Map Orientation Heading-Up* - the map will be
displayed in heading up
orientation if heading is available;

Map orientation is set to heading-up

Track-Up – the map will be
displayed in track up orientation

Note: Even though Heading-Up
is the default selection, if there is
no heading source, then the
default reverts to Track-Up.

There is a heading source (Aspen ARINC-429)

Potential heading sources include
digital heading from an
ARINC429 source (e.g. EFIS),
WX500, serial 232 heading
source and, analog synchro
heading input.

The correct heading (matches Aspen Heading) is shown in the box at the top of the display verifying that the ARINC-429 data from the Aspen is being received but the map still shows north up regardless of what is selected.  This is with a good GPS signal being received.

And, here is a note from the Pilot Guide that may also explain the behavior being observed:

NOTE
Map Orientation Without GPS
The map orientation will auto-switch from track-up
orientation to north-up orientation when GPS is lost.
Pilots who leave the map orientation in track-up
during shutdown may notice the map will start up in
north-up until a GPS position fix is available, at
which time the map will auto-switch back to trackup.

This might explain it if the unit was in track-up mode but it is not.  It is in heading mode.

Steve-  Randy is still at work.  Could you call him and discuss the problem?  His number is 916-428-3392.

Thanks,
Jim
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:22am
Hi Steve
Well, I finally got around to checking the software revisions on the Aspen. The MAP VER is 2.6.5, the IOP version is 2.0.5. Let me know if this makes any difference or if there is some setting or wiring change that would enable the heading bug and VOR course line at this sw level.

Ben
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:02pm
Waiting in line for my new 540 install and getting familiar with the iPad App - I notice there is no DataBlock option to display True Air Speed (TAS).  Only reference to air speed is the CAS in the Utility page.

Will the next 540 Upgrade please have a Datablock to display TAS.

Thanks.  Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:16pm
There is a problem with that, the barometric pressure and CAS do not populate to the 540 automatically in most setups. As such, such a display would/could be in error.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:20pm
Thanks for an amazingly fast response.
I thought I read that the next 540 software would receive the Baro automatically from a source like Aspen PFD/MFD (which I have).  

So, one Baro setting change on the Aspen PFD would hopefully automatically populate into the 540 as well... Will this be the case (hopefully)?

Tom W.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:33pm
Ben,

As I wait for my 540 install (with dual Aspens), I read your note on the VOR radials not displaying on the 540 from Aspen vLOC source... I agree this is a great feature and I am thrilled to see Avidyne has incorporated this in the vLOC display - however,...  

This may help explain:  I had exactly the same issue with my Aspen PFD and GNS480 to MX20, and the long & short of it is (after extensive discussions with Tim McNany at Aspen) that the Aspen PFD internal HSI software does not supply outgoing "Resolver" type signal to drive the VOR radial display on MX (and apparently IFD540) (or to drive the GNS480 internal CDI) ....

The solution was to have a separate external CDI with "Resolver" output (Mid Continent 222-406) to drive the MX & 480 - and I am guessing the IFD540 as well.  
I was going to extract and sell my Mid Continent CDI with the 540 install, but now I may keep it for just the same display reason!  
Hope this helps.

Tom W.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Thanks for an amazingly fast response.
I thought I read that the next 540 software would receive the Baro automatically from a source like Aspen PFD/MFD (which I have).  

So, one Baro setting change on the Aspen PFD would hopefully automatically populate into the 540 as well... Will this be the case (hopefully)?

Tom W.

No, you're getting things a bit muddled.

The issue you are alluding to is that some of the cool vertical calculations are not completed in the 540 unless barometric altitude (not altimeter setting) is available. For 10.1, the 540 will use its internal GPS altitude to do the same, in lieu of barometric altitude from remote source.

As to the altimeter setting and CAS, the 540 cannot load that unless it is sent. The ASPEN ACUs (original and ACU2) do not pass those data fields. If you have no ACU (no need for analog interfacing) then you can use a direct feed of data from the ASPEN, which does pass that information.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Apr 2015 at 9:48pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:47pm
speaking of muddled - 
"There is a problem with that, the barometric pressure and CAS do not populate to the 540 automatically in most setups. As such, such a display would/could be in error."

"If you have no ACU (no need for analog interfacing) then you can use a direct feed of data from the ASPEN, which does pass that information."

So, how would the "direct feed of data from the Aspen" be input to the 540 so as to populate automatically?

Tom
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:54pm
There is an ARINC 429 output (a standard protocol for inter-device communication) from the ASPEN, which depending on how you read the ASPEN install manual, can or cannot be tied directly to another instrument. If your installer will tie it directly, then all the data blocks will get to the 540, and it will use them.

The standard installation routes that 429 output, instead, through the ACU, which filters most of the data blocks out. It was a certification thing by ASPEN that created this limitation.

It is indeed, all a bit muddled.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Apr 2015 at 10:59pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:03pm
Thank you for clarification - I will share this with installer in 2 weeks.

Unrelated question in reference to 540 Pilot Manual 5-10:  With a GPS course in place, and subsequent switching the Nav source from GPS--> to vLOC e.g. to display the VOR radial on the 540, will this in effect disengage the GPS course input to the EFIS or Autopilot (in favor of the NAV) until switched back to GPS, or can the GPS course remain as signal source for EFIS/AP?

Tom
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:24pm
Hi Tom

Thanks for the information on the VOR line issue. I didn't really expect that there was a path to getting the VOR line from the Aspen based on Steve's earlier answer. It does seem like the heading bug ought to be working, as I am on a software rev above that he says is working, and am configured for Honeywell EFIS, but since this was a reverse engineered feature, it may have gone away in later software revisions.

For my MX20 GX60 set up I also had an SL30, which was used to create the VOR course using the OBS function via RS232. So no external resolver was involved. Unfortunately there's no way to select an external VLOC source for the 540, so I don't think this can be wired and I would have to replace my current analog CDI as you suggest.

It seems odd to me that Aspen would not pass whatever data they have available along to other devices. When you spoke to Tim did they indicate they would do this at some point? It seems like it would be good for business to enable as much functionality as possible for other devices when they are the "other guys" in the business.

Also thanks for adding your voice to those wanting this feature with the Aspen. While there is a workaround with the CDI resolver, Id rather have it driven from the Aspen HSI for one common control and view.

Ben
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:44pm
"Also thanks for adding your voice to those wanting this feature with the Aspen. While there is a workaround with the CDI resolver, Id rather have it driven from the Aspen HSI for one common control and view."

Ben,
Last conversation with Tim at Aspen (about a year ago) there was no Aspen plan for a fix as it was considered a purposeful "safety software design feature" to avoid confusion on which device the PFD was driving... (clear as mud).

I re read the 540 manual section 5-10 which states in the detail that an external CDI capable of driving the display (Resolver type CDI) must be used.  So, I may keep my CDI on place for this nice but not critical feature.
Tom
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Unrelated question in reference to 540 Pilot Manual 5-10:  With a GPS course in place, and subsequent switching the Nav source from GPS--> to vLOC e.g. to display the VOR radial on the 540, will this in effect disengage the GPS course input to the EFIS or Autopilot (in favor of the NAV) until switched back to GPS, or can the GPS course remain as signal source for EFIS/AP?

Tom

Correct.   We designed the IFD540 such that the nav source indication that is displayed in green in the top right corner of the display is the source that CDI/EFIS/Autopilot deviations are all referenced to.

I suppose in a dual IFD system, you can change the nav sources such that one is VLOC and the other is GPS and  then use a 1-2 switch on the EFIS/Autopilot (if one exists) or on the panel to control what source you want being sent to a given box at any given time.  I use that type of setup all the time in our company test aircraft.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:20pm
[QUOTE=n7ifr]"Also thanks for adding your voice to those wanting this feature with the Aspen. While there is a workaround with the CDI resolver, Id rather have it driven from the Aspen HSI for one common control and view."

Ben,
I decided to re-visit this issue with Aspen (Tim McNany) since the IFD540 includes this great novelty feature as one of the cool features of the old MX20/GMX200's- my external resolver CDI serves to display the VOR radials on the MX as I turn the OBS knob.

However, this is just redundant busy work for a cosmetic feature - It would be intuitively functional and logical for the Aspen PFD when switched (automatically by the 540 vLOC Nav button) into PFD vLOC HSI mode, to display the VOR To/Fr radials on the 540 as the Aspen OBS knob was turned to the desired radial!  So, I just shot this new note off to Tim:

"Hi Tim,

Its been a while since ironing out most of the interface issues with my Dual Aspens and GNS480/MX20.

I will be upgrading to the Avidyne IFD540 (removing 480/MX20) and I have been reading the 540 Pilot Manual quite carefully… and see a “deja-Vu all over again” as I had to install an external Resolver CDI to allow the 480 to display VOR radials on the MX20 and unflag the internal 480 CDI.

Reference IFD540 manual pp. 5-10, describing  that with an external “resolver” type CDI, the 540 in vLOC mode will display the VOR TO/FR radials.  

A number of 540 users (on the Avidyne Forum) are already frustrated that the Aspen PFD HSI will not provide such a “Resolver” output to enable display on the 540 of the indicated radials that the Aspen in vLOC Mode is displaying by rotation of its OBS knob to a proper radial…

Tim, is there now a work around so as to avoid installing a separate external CDI device?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts."

Tom Wolf
Phoenix, DVT

Edited by n7ifr - 11 Apr 2015 at 1:22pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 5:34pm
Good News!!!!

Heard back today from Tim McNany at Aspen re: future Aspen software upgrades to drive 540 vLOC and OBS Nav-source directly without an external resolver CDI:

Tom,

This is coming with the Level B display  {Level B is for aircraft over 6000lb MTOW and the helicopters}  this summer so I would think it is something we will add to the Level C display like yours after that.  I don’t have any time frame but do know that the level C software will be going to version 2.9 later this year for the 55X interface which also requires some A429 label changes so it could happen by years end.

Tim

So, looks good for an end of year Aspen upgrade work around!

Tom W.

B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:59pm
Wow that's great news. Thanks for keeping after them to add this capability. I'm looking forward to it.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 10:02pm
What is also needed as mentioned elsewhere is a way to pick off ARINC 429 air data even when an ACU 1 is in place.  There are pinouts which could accomplish this, but Aspen's IM needs a verbiage change to allow installers to interface those.
David Gates
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 1:11pm
Quote The issue you are alluding to is that some of the cool vertical calculations are not completed in the 540 unless barometric altitude (not altimeter setting) is available. For 10.1, the 540 will use its internal GPS altitude to do the same, in lieu of barometric altitude from remote source.

I have to say I'm disappointed this wasn't part of Avidyne's original software for the IFD540.  Vertical speed required is a critical feature for many of us who fly high-performance aircraft.  Garmin has incorporated this into both its panel-mount and portable navigators for years, using GPS altitude with no need for BARO information.  So it's not like this is anything new!

Waiting patiently for the big spring software upgrade...

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 2:03pm
I agree that could be true for VSR.

However, I'd still like Baro-alt for AGL callouts (e.g., "500 ft") - because your minima are Baro-alt not GPS derived.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic