Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

December Unit...waiting for shop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: December Unit...waiting for shop
    Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
Background: My chosen shop has taken delivery of my IFD540 back in December. Even though I called in early November, they were booked through March. I spoke with the Tech in early December and he had reviewed the install instructions & determined that it would NOT be a slide-out slide-in, as he saw another wire that would have to be installed, so I was delayed until after the first of the year. I recall him mentioning this is the first Avidyne unit they are installing. We spoke two weeks ago and it looks like March will be the install.

My questions are: Do I need not only the software update, but also a hardware update? Can these be performed before I take delivery? When I get the OK from the Tech to deliver my plane, what can I have them perform before my plane gets there so that the IFD540 and install will be up-to-date?

TIA,

Louise
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:30am
Do you have a 530W now ? If so, it should be a 15 minute swap. I would go get the box and do it myself ! That's BS.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:38am
Originally posted by squeege squeege wrote:

My questions are: Do I need not only the software update, but also a hardware update? Can these be performed before I take delivery? When I get the OK from the Tech to deliver my plane, what can I have them perform before my plane gets there so that the IFD540 and install will be up-to-date?

I or Avidyne Tech Support would need the serial number of the box to know what hardware mods it has.   With a December ship date, you likely do not have the hardware mods to support DME and standby com audio output.  But, they may not be useful to you.

Do you have DME in the airplane and does it use King Serial protocol?  If not, no sense in seeking that hardware update.

Do you have an audio panel (like the Avidyne AMX240) that has a "Monitor" button that allows you to listen to standby comm audio at the same times as active com audio and if you do, do you want to take advantage of that function?  If not, no sense in seeking that hardware update.

As for software, there is a new software version available (Release 10.0.3.0) that addresses some field issues (that you may not even experience).  There will also be a much bigger and comprehensive release (Release 10.1.0.0) that comes out prior to mid April.   It might make more sense to wait until your unit is installed and ops checked to see if any of the 10.0.3.0 changes would help you and if not, just wait until 10.1.0.0 comes out in April.  That's probably less hassle and cheaper for everybody.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:07am
So does this mean that those who got the first few units out of your factory will need hardware mods to support standby monitoring?

We were led to believe it was just a software enablement.

Edited by ddgates - 26 Feb 2015 at 7:08am
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:09am
Yes.   Reference the Hardware Primer thread for a means to determine if the unit does or does not have the hardware mod that supports the software for VHF Com Monitor.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:10am
This is VERY disappointing.

Edited by ddgates - 26 Feb 2015 at 7:11am
David Gates
squeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I or Avidyne Tech Support would need the serial number of the box to know what hardware mods it has.   With a December ship date, you likely do not have the hardware mods to support DME and standby com audio output.  But, they may not be useful to you.

Do you have DME in the airplane and does it use King Serial protocol?  If not, no sense in seeking that hardware update.

Do you have an audio panel (like the Avidyne AMX240) that has a "Monitor" button that allows you to listen to standby comm audio at the same times as active com audio and if you do, do you want to take advantage of that function?  If not, no sense in seeking that hardware update.

As for software, there is a new software version available (Release 10.0.3.0) that addresses some field issues (that you may not even experience).  There will also be a much bigger and comprehensive release (Release 10.1.0.0) that comes out prior to mid April.   It might make more sense to wait until your unit is installed and ops checked to see if any of the 10.0.3.0 changes would help you and if not, just wait until 10.1.0.0 comes out in April.  That's probably less hassle and cheaper for everybody.

I'll see if I can obtain the S/N.

I currently have a Garmin 530 that was sent back to Garmin for the WAAS update, then installed with the new WAAS antenna and coax back in 2007, so although the box is labeled GNS530, it does have WAAS.

I have a King KN 64 DME. I am unfamiliar with King Serial protocol.

The audio panel is the PS Engineering PM 7000M. I am able to monitor COM 2 while active on COM 1 and have a "swap" button on my yoke to switch the active COM. There is a COM 3 that is currently not used.

As for the software updates...are they only accessed by Authorized Dealers and will I have to now book time to fly to get them? 

Thank you for the prompt responses.

Louise
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:50pm
The principal protocol used by the KN64 is "King Serial".  If you still have the 530, you should be able to go into it's Mx mode pages to determine what protocol type it was set up to use.    So, presuming the IFD serial number value comes back like I think it will, you will need to have the IFD hardware updated (under warranty) to enable DME functionality on the IFD540 to work.

The PSE PMA 7000M audio panel does not appear to support the Monitor function so that looks to be N/A for your installation.

The Avidyne position for software updates is that anyone with logbook signoff authority can perform  the update.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:54pm
It looks like some PMA7000M boxes have a button labeled AUX and some (CAP version?) have it labeled COM 3.  The installation manual shows that it connects to pin 11 of the bottom connector.  Is there a reason the monitor out from the IFD cannot be connected there?
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:02pm
I'd suggest you call PS-Engineering.  They build all of them. They can explain how the "MON" works and how/if can hook your PMA7000M up. There isn't a lot of magic for the MON stuff, and the PS-Engineering hardware boards are almost uniform across the line, its just how things are labeled on the faceplate.

The guys there were really helpful explaining all the details of operation when I was investigating which audio panel to buy.
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:32pm
I have 2 spare switchable inputs "aux" and "adf"
I don't see why the 540 MON output could not be wired to one of those.

Tim
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:56pm
It can. It is just a discrete audio input, nothing special about it

My standby freq monitoring from my 540, is wired to the AUX switched input on my PM8000BT.

* Orest

BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:39pm

For What this might be worth, my unit was installed in October. It was strictly a slide it out and slide it in. The techie checked it out and signed it off. I did not bother to have the single wire run from the IFD 540 to the Audio Panel so I cannot take advantage of monitoring the extra frequency. However, I find this no particular disadvantge. Next time my guy with the soldering iron needs to dig in my panel, I will have him hook it up!  Meanwhile, I just monitor the frequency I am working and leave my ancient standby unit on 121.5.  Works for me! <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:32pm

I don't know about the 7000M but Com3 would work on a 7000B and that is what I plan to use.  However the unit can be set up (by pulling a pin low by connecting it to ground) and that turns COM3 into telephone full-duplex mode.  So I think you'd have to make sure your setup isn't connected like that.  Actually it may not matter since I think full-duplex only has to do with the microphone portion.  Anyway, if your 7000x was setup to support a telephone it probably has a telephone jack.

The DME or ADF inputs should also work to monitor.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:19pm
I'm curious if the standby freq monitor accomplishes anything different than monitoring a freq on Comm 2. That is a common practice and I'm confused over what the standby freq monitor adds to the equation.
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:37pm

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I'm curious if the standby freq monitor accomplishes anything different than monitoring a freq on Comm 2. That is a common practice and I'm confused over what the standby freq monitor adds to the equation.

If I have it right it means the 540 can nominate the ATIS frequency, for example, and you can put this into the standby freq.  You can monitor this, and the 540 will mute it automatically when the active frequency is active.

Otherwise (unless you have two units), you would have to dial in the freq you wish to monitor on COM2 and monitor that, and it doesn't have the auto-mute.

Edited by flybikeski - 26 Feb 2015 at 11:38pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:18am
Quote I'm curious if the standby freq monitor accomplishes anything different than monitoring a freq on Comm 2. That is a common practice and I'm confused over what the standby freq monitor adds to the equation.

It does let you monitor an additional frequency (three total, with 540 + COM2), which may be operationally advantageous.

It has not been specified if the monitored standby output is muted, when the primary becomes active.

My SL-30 does this a little better, it needs only one input to the audio panel, and multiplexes both freqs on that one input cable when monitor is selected, suppressing the standby when the primary is active. Not sure why Avidyne didn't do it that way. Those Apollo guys sure were clever, for their time -- as a second radio the SL-30 cannot be beat, although sadly only available on the resale market now.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Feb 2015 at 12:24am
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:43am
Orest, I agree.
The SL30 and the new Garmin GTR comms all monitor the standby frequency internally and therefore 'blend' it onto the one audio output line. This makes it totally independent of the Audio Panel and a simpler installation.
I'm baffled why Avidyne didn't do it this way.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:00am

One refinement on the descriptions above:

The IFD540 capability is to send the #1 standby com audio on a separate signal/pin.  That means we stream out active audio on one pin and standby audio out on another pin.

The true Monitor function of the audio panel allows you to listen to both audio outputs but it automatically mutes the standby audio whenever the active audio is chattering away.

We intentionally didn't do any mux'ing at the IFD level.

So from an audio panel perspective, you can:

XMIT/RCV COM1

RCV COM2

MONITOR COM1 or COM2

all simultaneously.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:03am
OK, so with a non-240 solution (using just a regular switched input), you will not get standby freq muting.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:07am
Right
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

The true Monitor function of the audio panel allows you to listen to both audio outputs but it automatically mutes the standby audio whenever the active audio is chattering away.

We intentionally didn't do any mux'ing at the IFD level.

So from an audio panel perspective, you can:

XMIT/RCV COM1

RCV COM2

MONITOR COM1 or COM2

all simultaneously.

Steve,

You say that one should expect any chatter on the Active Comm-1 to automatically mute the "Monitored" Standby Com-1 (and also Comm-2 Standby with dual 540's).

My install (single 540/240) does not do this:
  . My Active & Stby Comm-1 chatter simultaneously, without any Muting of Active.
  . Active Comm-1 Volume is 4/5 attenuated using Monitor Stby button, requiring adjustment when using Stby function.

I am not sure what causes the Volume attenuation on Active Comm-1, but I have missed ATC calls because of this.  Also, automatic Mute of Stby Comm-1 would be very useful, but not the case!

1.  Is this a mis-wiring issue with Hi & Lo pins between 240 & 540?

2.  How might I wire my SL30 (Comm-2) audio via the 240 (i.e. Comm-2 Input), to also have automatic Muting of Comm-2 Stby?

Thanks for your input.

Tom wolf   
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:28pm
Not sure but we're going to look into the issue this week.  See this parallel thread on the topic and post updates earlier today:   http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=766&title=standby-monitor-question

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic