Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Term Support of EX5000C?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Term Support of EX5000C?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:15am
Hello,

I own a 2007 Cirrus SR22 with the EX5000C installed in the standard configuration from Cirrus.  1) Can you give an indication of the long term support strategy for the EX5000C product line in terms of years,  and 2) what Avidyne is doing to mitigate potential support problems because of end of life components?

Thanks,
Mark
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:14pm
Most briefly:

1.  We'll support it for a long time still to come.
2.  We have done last time buys of the stuff that went EOL.

On a related note, we intend to release an updated version of software later this year.   As a minimum, it is expected to support the MLB100 ADS-B In receiver.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
victorbravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorbravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 7:37pm
Thanks for responding.

With regards to answer #1.  What is Avidyne's policy for notifying customers when a product will no longer be supported?  How much advance notice will be given when a product is no longer supported?

Thanks,
Mark
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 8:24pm
I'm probably not the first to ask this but, it would be great to have a general product roadmap for displays going forward.

I'm leaning heavily towards replacing my 430-non-WAAS units with 440s, and my 327 xponder with the 340 in the next few years. My primary concern in doing this is understanding what beyond R9 will be available for the PFD/MFD, since the 3000 CRT based units are clearly going to be a challenge to support in the future.

An attractive alternative would be a new line of displays that combine the GPS, radio, and ADS-B xponder functionality into a single unit, with a touch screen LCD, A/P, AHRS, and redundancy/interconnect for multiple displays. This would be Avidyne's answer to the both the G600 and G2000, and if it were available for retrofit into an existing Avidyne display form factor would be a killer in the retrofit market, especially if it were available before 2020, ideally in the $25-35K range per display.

However, if I were to buy the panel upgrades, I'd instead want a simple, inexpensive display solution that offered "R9 light" software on a modern LCD, leaving the functionality for GPS, Radios, A/P and xponder in the respective units. Financially, this would let people spread out the purchase of avionics over a longer period of time, and let people opt into things like ADS-B In, which is sub-optimal to me versus active traffic solutions. These displays would need to be in the $10-12K range (per unit) to be competitive.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:40pm
We certainly have both a detailed and high level versions of the roadmaps.  I'm not willing to disclose the detailed roadmap for competitive reasons.   As for the high level version, what you suggest is all on the map, aside from potentially the suggested price points.

Creating and modifying the road maps are a big part of my job but most of it is for internal consumption only I'm afraid.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by victorbravo victorbravo wrote:

Thanks for responding.

With regards to answer #1.  What is Avidyne's policy for notifying customers when a product will no longer be supported?  How much advance notice will be given when a product is no longer supported?

Thanks,
Mark

It  varies widely, so widely that there is no concise way to put it.  I will say that all forms of customer communication will be used when that becomes the case - it is NOT in our best interest to keep that kind of thing a secret.   Notice will typically range from 3 months to 3 years depending on the product and  the nature of the support change.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 1:46am
That's great to hear! More information would be better than less, and sooner rather than later, but I certaintly understand the need for keeping the specific details from the public, and dates clearly are subject to the whims of certification. I would point out that both Garmin and Aspen already have products in this general configuration at the general price point I am suggesting; neither however has the cool Avidyne user interface, nor the potential ability to simply replace the existing form factor with a minimum of panel upgrade work.

I'd also suggest that you must understand that full suites like R9 maybe a reasonable upgrade for a turboprop or jet, but exceeding 40% of hull value for 10 year old prop aircraft is really a non-starter for many of us, so keeping prices low will have a direct impact on thousands of aircraft in the $150K-$200K space; a space Avidyne can continue to own for Cirrus aircraft for example if you get it at the right price at the right time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic