Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-weather-traffic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-weather-traffic
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:31pm
I would like to get a poll of those who are moving forward to get ADS-B,weather and traffic in their panel. Avidyne has now a unit to provide this on the IFD 540. Aspen has a unit soon to do the same on the Aspen, not on the 540. Others are using a portable, Garmin 796, Ipad with antennae or such to display on the yoke. I would like those familiar with this issue to chime in on their own course of action to proceed. The only mandated action we all face is the ADS-B out . It would be great to take care of all the issues with the simplest, cost effective plan. Any thoughts?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:33pm
I'll be watching this thread with interest.    It's probably self-evident but the "simplest, cost effective plan" will change a lot over the coming years as continue products are rolled out by us and the competition.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:52pm
Thanks to the Avidyne initiative; I'm already 2020 compliant.

I have dual Aspens and dual IFD540s (and I am biologically a twin for that matter).  

I initially thought I'd like a solution which puts traffic and weather on the MFD in front of me (i.e., the Aspen MFD).

Looking at it objectively, Avidyne has done such a good job with the 540 that I am hard pressed to justify having both an MFD and a 540.

That said, it is getting very annoying that there was a lot of talk about interconnectivity (a la Capstone), but it was just talk.  If you want a display on the Aspen, gotta buy Aspen's box.  If you want a display on the Avidynes, gotta buy the Avidyne box.

OK guys, where is the interconnectivity?

I'll put the traffic on both the Aspens and the 540s.

Maybe I will just use an iPad tablet to display weather, and not buy either's box.

David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:45pm
I got an AXP340 going in with my IFD540.  I was told that Avidyne was going to make the combined AXP340 and MLB100 price the same or better than Garmin's GDL88.  I'm hoping to be one of those who will be able to have 10.1.0.0 and a MLB100 installed by mid April as Avidyne has been publicly aiming for.  I'm also hoping that Avidyne will stream out traffic and weather to a handful of vendors, not just FF or Jepp.  I'd really like the AXP340 / MLB100 be my complete ADS-B solution, but I will not pay an additional $802 per year to use Jepp's tablet software.  If that's the case, I'll end up getting a portable receiver, but that would be a shame given the IFD540's potential.

Edited by brou0040 - 01 Mar 2015 at 7:48pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 8:26pm

For now I plan on staying with my stratus, iPad  and fore flight.  It gives me traffic and weather.  I need to let things settle down a few years before I jump into another upgrade. 

I'm really hoping that foreflight is the vendor that will utilize the Bluetooth interface .......

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:24pm
I do plan on putting in the MLB100 mainly for the traffic on the 540.  Previously I had the Garmin 330 transponder and had the TIS traffic on my MFD.  When I switched to the Avidyne AXP to become ADS B compliant, I lost the in panel traffic.   I do have traffic on my IPad now via Stratus, but much prefer the in panel traffic.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:58pm
ForeFlight Stratus is currently wi-fi.
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:02pm
yes and that's the problem
If I connect my iPad to my 540, then I can no longer use my Stratus :(
bye bye WX
bye bye ADSB-in traffic
bye bye AHRS

I wouldn't connect Foreflight to my 540 INSTEAD of my stratus.
That really sucks.

unlike Bluetooth, you iPad can only connect to 1 Wifi network at a time.

Also, the bluetooth on the 540 seems to be for a keyboard only.
looks like it's expected that your iPad will connect to the 540 Wifi INSTEAD of your stratus.

This is all assuming that Foreflight is even going to support the 540,
which no one will say until it's ready.

Tim
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:07am
Why is connection to only 1 wifi network an issue?
Bluetooth is indeed point to point and support for multiple connections is necessary, hence the use of bluetooth for a remote kb.

But wifi is a network and any app can use it in parallel with others. Connection is at the tcp level, not ip. Just look at all your ipad apps that use the single wifi network and internet connection in parallel at home. Wifi support should allow any to any app communication (incl 540) on the same network. In fact, having multiple active wifi network support would require separate hardware for each. Tablets only support 1 wifi network connection at a given time.

If there is an issue, it would the ability or not of a given device app to support parallel tcp sessions to multiple other 'apps' at the software level over the same wifi network. But technically, this would be the way to go.

Edited by chflyer - 02 Mar 2015 at 3:19am
Vince
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:22am
it's very unlikely that the 540 will act as a client and be able to join the network created by the stratus.
it's possible, but unlikely that they would do it that way.

yes you can connect multiple clients to the network that stratus creates.
but you CAN'T connect your iPad to your stratus AND your home WiFi at the same time.
It's the same problem.

Tim
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:35am
Agreed.

If every wifi device tries to act as a base station defining the network rather than a network client/joiner, then none of them will be able to communicate. Tablets are all set up as clients, but apparently stratus insists on being a base station. If the 540 does the same then they won't talk to each other. Worse, if they are both set up with the same network ssid, the tablets won't be able to talk to either of them and nothing will work.
Vince
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 6:03am
The connectivity I was thinking for my iPad was: wifi to the stratus, Bluetooth to the 540, at the same time.  I have reached out to foreflight with the request.  The response they gave me was, to be sure and make the same request of avidyne.  Steve consider this a request. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 6:17am
How would you expect to use the ipad-540 connection over bluetooth?

Bluetooth is essentially a hardware protocol for connecting i/o devices such as headsets, keyboards, mice, etc. For example, my Lightspeed is connected to my ipad via bluetooth, as are a number of other non-aviation devices such as hifi headphones, jawbone speaker, Garmin GLO gps.

It is conceivable that certain ipad apps could use a bluetooth connection to the 540, but it would be interesting to know what application you have in mind. One could be an app for transferring waypoints en-masse from a file on the ipad. As mentioned, bluetooth is point-to-point, so each connection needs to be defined separately.

Vince
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:43am
We're all speculating but the ability to be able to connect an iPad running Foreflight to both an IFD and a Stratus would be wonderful.

It would be wonderful even if it only provides the ability to transfer a flight plan from the IFD to the iPad.  And if it eventually allows for transfer from Foreflight to that would be even better.

This is an area where Garmin, with their FlightStream 210 and Garmin Pilot products, is in the lead.  Avidyne already has the hardware to catch up, it is just a SMOP (and, sigh, certification).

So consider this a second for the Bluetooth request.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:47am
Nice.  First time I've seem someone use "Small Matter of Programming" in some time.   That's worth acceleration points all by itself.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 10:40am
I'm a Garmin Pilot and GDL 39 user and they work very well.

But if Avidyne could develop an integration between an app such as Foreflight and the IFD 540 I would make the switch.

Until then I'll stick with what I have as it works well.
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 12:13pm
I have a IFD540 /AXP340 for ADS-B out.  I also have a Clarity SV for ADS-B in and WingX/IPAD.
Today I spotted another portable solution (not 2020 compliant).
Not sure if this URL will work
March 7 delivery, intro price of $999,  all integrated antennas

Gary-T
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 4:30pm
I use the 540/340 combo with a Stratus 2 and get traffic displayed right in front of me on the iPad Mini. Love it. We (the installer) prepped my plane for the eventual addition of the MLB100 for the 540, but it would be nice if it could be displayed on my Aspen as well.
kansasdoc
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by ksdoc ksdoc wrote:

I use the 540/340 combo with a Stratus 2 and get traffic displayed right in front of me on the iPad Mini. Love it. We (the installer) prepped my plane for the eventual addition of the MLB100 for the 540, but it would be nice if it could be displayed on my Aspen as well.

It seems that a lot of us who bought 540s also have Aspens (some because we were queuing up for DFC90s).

A solution which displays on both the 540 and the Aspen would be nice.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:33pm
We'll discuss the possibility with Aspen in the coming weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 10:58pm
I think having the traffic and weather option to display on the Aspen or 540 or bluetooth to a iPad would be great and would give both companies a greater market share of this ADS-B mandate coming. If Aspen and Avidyne choose not to cooperate with each other, it only benefits Garmin.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 7:50am
Steve:

The ideal solution for most would be a dual frequency (1090/UAT) device which displays on the 540s, on an Aspen MFD, and either WiFi or BT wx and trfc to a tablet of whatever flavor.  I'd buy that box today, but of course it doesn't exist.

I was led to believe that was the purpose of Capstone?  Interconnectivity?

Needing one box to display on the MFD and another to display on the IFD is not an efficient solution.

That said, as was discussed by others with me before IFD delivery, it is looking like the IFD may be so versatile a unit there is hardly a reason to have an MFD.

Edited by ddgates - 04 Mar 2015 at 7:53am
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

That said, as was discussed by others with me before IFD delivery, it is looking like the IFD may be so versatile a unit there is hardly a reason to have an MFD.

Agreed. Now, I do have a panel mounted 796, a poor man's MFD, but I find I do not use it much any more -- except to use its XM weather.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Mar 2015 at 9:05am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

It seems that a lot of us who bought 540s also have Aspens (some because we were queuing up for DFC90s).

A solution which displays on both the 540 and the Aspen would be nice.

Or are planning to buy an Aspen.

My hope is to use my IFD 540 in lieu of an Aspen MFD.

But yes, I very much would like to get an ADS-B in device that feeds traffic and weather to both an IFD and an Aspen.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:56am
Jim:

If I were to do it again, I'd still buy the MFD (1000 pro) for only reason - reversion mode.

Otherwise, particularly if you can find space in the center panel of your A36 for the IFD540, an Aspen MFD is essentially redundant.

David

Edited by ddgates - 04 Mar 2015 at 9:56am
David Gates
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 8:54pm
For those who have chosen the IPad for the traffic/weather display, how often have you had the problem in daytime and sunlight not being to see the display well. I haven't seen a tablet made that can display in sunlight like a Garmin 696 or 796.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:05pm
The 796 is a winner in bright sunlit cockpits. 

As to tablets, the Samsung Tab S, is just about as good in terms of sunlight readability as the stellar x96 units.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Mar 2015 at 4:54pm
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:00am
I fly with an iPad 4 Retina display with a DayVue screen protector by NuShield and haven't had any problems reading in sunlight.  And, I usually keep the brightness low to conserve the battery.  I have never used a 696 or 796 so I can't say how it compares.
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm
I am upgrading to glass right now with G500. Already have dual 540s/ AXP340. I am pre-wiring for MLB100.
I also have stratus 2/ipad mini. I am mounting the mini on right side of panel with a simple RAM ball mount screwed in. Truthfully, I haven't had a need to look at the ipad with the 540s in front of me with Jepp charts etc. An occasional glance for traffic is all I have needed. Keep my eyes glued outside. That said, when I do go long distance, I will have time to play around with the ipad. 
I have heard the iPad Air 2 has a better screen in terms of glare and sunlight readability. Any confirmations?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 3:17pm
I've never used the mini so can't comment on that but I've do use the IPad
Air 2 and have no issues with sunlight or readability.  Due to the size, I just keep it on my lap as any mounting location would block my view of something.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 7:00pm
iPad Air 2 is a huge improvement over all other ipads.
The iPad mini does not have this screen technology yet.

I have my iPad Air 2 on my panel next to my IFD540 and it is just as readable in all conditions.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic