Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VTF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VTF
    Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
In setting up an approach, there's usually the option for vectors to final. However, I'm in the habit of selecting a waypoint out on the approach even when I'm expecting VTF, just in case the clearance gets changed. On the 530, I could at any point punch PROC, and activate VTF once sure that that's what was going to happen. I don't see an equivalent option on the 540? Am I missing something?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:20pm
I always did the same as you with my 430 when setting up an approach but instead of activating VTF, I would just activate the appropriate leg to the FAF.  You can do the same thing with the 540s.  If you prefer to activate VTF, just hit the PROC button again, select the same approach and this time select VTF.  It will ask you if you want to replace the previous programmed approach but I feel it is easier to just activate the leg segment you want.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I always did the same as you with my 430 when setting up an approach but instead of activating VTF, I would just activate the appropriate leg to the FAF.  You can do the same thing with the 540s.  If you prefer to activate VTF, just hit the PROC button again, select the same approach and this time select VTF.  It will ask you if you want to replace the previous programmed approach but I feel it is easier to just activate the leg segment you want.

Yup.  At any time, you can hit the PROC button and reload the approach...easy, peasy.  With my 430, I used to always load with an IAF for max flexibility, and skip over the IAF if I got vectors.  With the 540, you can do the same thing, or it's pretty painless to reload the procedure, so if you start with VTF and then ATC tells you to fly the whole approach from an IAF, it's no problem to just reload with the appropriate IAF.
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:24am
Both make sense - activate leg or reload approach. I do think an option under "Proc" to activate VTF, as on the 530, would be a bit quicker and cleaner, since that's usually a high workload point in the approach and the less fiddling with the approach the better.  (Listening, Avidyne?)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by frankbell frankbell wrote:

Both make sense - activate leg or reload approach. I do think an option under "Proc" to activate VTF, as on the 530, would be a bit quicker and cleaner, since that's usually a high workload point in the approach and the less fiddling with the approach the better.  (Listening, Avidyne?)

I'll think about that one some more.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:56pm
How about if you have selected an approach, activated an approach.......then look at the plates, it would be nice if it would automatically switch to the plates for the landing airport.
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:57pm
Amen!
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 12:47pm

The CNX 80 / GNS 480 have a VTF option under the Procedures menu.

That is very handy when you've been vectored back and forth across the final approach course a few times.

Just hit PROC then VTF then ENTER.

If it's an ILS it's easy to just dial in the localizer and follow it on your HSI/CDI, but it's nice to have the box keep up with what you're doing.

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 2:13pm

I am still interested in this option; or perhaps in learning how the IFD 540 would react to being vectored back and forth across the approach course multiple times prior to the FAF.

That is a real world scenario in IMC.

With the CNX 80 I would always load the full procedure and never select VTF until I was actually cleared for the approach and given a vector. This allows me to see my position relative to all the other fixes in the procedure.

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic