Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Missed approach question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missed approach question
    Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:29pm
I have been out exercising my new IFD540 in my Bonanza in practice conditions to get used to it before venturing into IMC with it. Like most of you, I will shoot an ILS into a nearby airport then miss and go to another nearby airport for another practice approach.

I have been stumbling when trying to transition from the miss to entering the next destination airport and then selecting the appropriate approach and IAF there. With the 530, I would simply scroll to the end of the flight plan and enter the new airport in the first blank space.

I haven't found the equivalent easy way to do this on the 540. I'm sure it's there, but difficult to do when under the pressured situation in an ILS miss.

What is the best/easy way to do this that will cancel the existing approach and go direct to a new airport?

This is not something that is so easy to simulate on the simulator or I wouldn't be asking the question :-).
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:48pm
I do not have an IFD yet, but one of the features which drew me to it is the ability to enter the alternate prior to shooting the approach to the first airport.  I would enter the alternate while enroute if conditions are marginal.

Good to know other options though...
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:54pm
Right, I do understand that if you are on a real IFR flight. But on practice approaches, you often want to enter the next destination on the fly. Actually, you sometimes need to do that even when on a real IFR flight.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 8:24pm
At least two easy ways:

1)  Press the "Direct To" key, and punch in your alternate airport ID, Enter, Enter.  Once on track to the new airport, hit the PROC button and select your approach.

2)  Press the "NRST" key, and find your alternate airport on the list.  Choose it, press Direct To/Enter/Enter, then hit the PROC button and select your approach.  (I don't have the sim available right now, so I might have the button sequence wrong, but bottom line is to pick the airport from the NRST page and set Direct To it, then load the PROC.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 8:26pm
MysticCobra, I thought I did that, but it didn't seem to cancel the existing approach. Still wanted to go the MAP on the original approach.

I will try again this weekend.

Thanks for the input!

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 9:38pm
"Direct To", by definition, should change the magenta line to point directly to your new airport.  If your magenta line was still pointing to a waypoint on the approach to the original airport, then the "Direct To" command was not completed (maybe you missed an "Enter", for example?).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:24am
MysticCobra, that is a possibility. I will find out this weekend. It is good to know that it does work the way I expected it to work :-).

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic