Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TESTING QUESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TESTING QUESTIONS
    Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:58pm
I've been back and forth to my radio shop too many times to count.  The squawk list just never seems to get shorter.  Mark off two items, add two more, etc.

Anyway, he wants me to test the terrain warning audio.  Is there any way to test this connection to the audio panel while on the ground?  The user manual says,:

Adjusting Traffic Volume Plays Chime
As the volume bar for the traffic alerts is adjusted,
the IFD will play a double chime that represents the
new volume level selected.

Would this apply to terrain alerts, too? (I don't have traffic alerts yet).  Would this be a matter of adjusting the volume for "aural alerts" and listening for the chime in the headset?  I have never heard a terrain warning yet, but I'd like to know that it's hooked up.  I guess I could do a low pass out in the country somewhere and see if it warns me, but I'd rather just check this on the ground somewhere.

He didn't have the ground/air wire hooked up to the AXP-340 originally, and wants me to test that.  I think it should show GND on the ground, and automatically switch to ALT upon takeoff, right?  That one should be easy.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies,

Paul B.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:28pm
Paul,

Not quite yet.  Release 10.1.0.0 adds the capability to play the alert audio in your headset as you adjust the volume but that's still a few weeks from cert.

The traffic adjust audio does not accomplish what you're looking for.

As for the air/ground transition with the AXP340, yes, if properly hooked up to the 540 pin, you should see the automatic switch to ALT on takeoff and back to GND on landing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:16pm
GND/AIR transition works great!
Terrain aural alerts work great!  (had to dive at the ground! LOL)

Another TESTING QUESTION:

Is there a way to tell if the pressure altitude from the AXP-340 is being received by the IFD-540???

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:27pm
Go the AUX|Calculators page ...

Values in green are received data. If in white, there is no accepted data.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 Mar 2015 at 10:27pm
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:39pm
AviJake writes that the audio alert in the headset is in 10.1. How did you hear the audio alerts without 10.1?

Guess I have to go back to the shop (again) to get the xpdr wired properly - my AXP-340 does not auto switch gnd/air. 

Sure wish there were ways the installer could test all this stuff before turning it loose to the pilot/owner!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:55pm
Yes, there are audio alerts with 10.0.0.3, including the Descend Now gong.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:08pm
AXP340 Air/Gnd can be tested at power up if connected to 540 per ADSB STC. My XPNDR posts "alt" for 34sec till the 540 finishes initializing then switches to "Gnd"

Edited by roltman - 08 Jun 2015 at 10:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic