Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard copy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard copy
    Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 5:48pm
Could not find an existing topic to ask this question, but here it goes.
Did or does a hard copy of the pilots guide ship with the unit?

The only thing I got today after my bit?,ing was an emailed PDF file that I already have!

Edit.     From my shop not from avidyne.

Edited by Leonard - 21 Apr 2015 at 5:50pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:32pm
Hard copy does exist. It is free and shipment gets triggered when you register your IFD. I couldn't tell from this post (garbled text) if you did that already. But, I would also recommend waiting another week or two to get the brand new book rewrite for 10.1
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
Thanks Steve
Thought that was already done.
I'll confirm.
Leonard

Edit. If not reg.   You're saying to wait a few weeks to get the latest POG?

Edited by Leonard - 21 Apr 2015 at 6:47pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:03am
Yes, that's my recommendation.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:15am
Hello Jake,

My IFD 540 was installed 3 weeks ago. I am waiting to register the unit specifically so I can get the updated manual.

Please let us know when it's available.

Regards, Jim
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:12pm
+1. On the let us know
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
Thought manual updates would be shipped out to currently registered owners?  That's why it was "ringed" together.

Edited by roltman - 22 Apr 2015 at 6:16pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 12:03pm
Yes but....

The Release 10.1.0.0 PG updated every page so it's easier to send a brand new book.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:29pm
Steve,

I posted the following message last December, and never received an acknowledgement or response:

Steve, 
On page 3-6 of the IFD-540 Pilot Guide it has a description of a "Tower Zone (estimated Class D)". It says that it will show the "Tower zone boundary if known, otherwise 5nm ring estimating Class D boundary". 
The basic Class D is 5 STATUTE MILES, not NAUTICAL. I'm not sure if this is just a typo in the manual, or if you are painting the rings too big. 

I still wonder if the rings are too big.  I keep forgetting to check it out on the screen.  Also, I wonder if the PG was ever updated on this point?  Just curious.

Paul B.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:40pm
Well, I just pulled up the simulator.  It looks like all of the Class D airports I checked have the 5 SM radius depicted, which is good, because they all matched the printed sectional chart.  I still wonder if the 540 will paint a 5 nm radius if the tower boundary is unknown, or if it is a typo in the manual.  I hope its just a typo, and if so, it should be corrected.  If it actually will paint a 5nm radius, that probably should be corrected.  Call me pedantic if you will, but details matter.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:11pm
The pilot guide is in error but not in the way you might have  thought.   The IFD440/540 map depiction will draw only what's in the database.  If there is no airspace for an airfield defined in the database, no airspace boundary will be drawn.

I will fix the pilot guides on the next revision.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:20pm
I decided to check myAvidyne to see if the serial number of my IFD540 was updated since it has been swapped out 3 times.  I found that it was no longer registered so I registered the current unit.  Once I registered, it said 

"A printed pilot guide for your IFD540 will be sent to the address on record.  Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery."

I already have a printed hard copy from my original unit so I don't need another one, but I will still need to get updates as they come out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic