Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Activate approach question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Activate approach question
    Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 5:50pm
I'm trying to understand the logic of the IFD 540 when imputing a flight plan with a GPS approach at the conclusion. The initial portion of the FMS gives the option to "activate flight plan".. Which causes the final arrival to switch from the destination airport to the approach fix for that airport. Is there any reason to hold off activating the approach ? Perhaps it makes it simpler to wait until ATC gives the final assigned approach for that airport which could be a different runway from what was initially planned. This is all new to me, I know others will have a good explanation.

Edited by Jrlumpp - 30 Apr 2015 at 8:24pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:35pm
I'll give it a go. When you select an approach, you choose either an IAF or vectors to final and it gets added to your flight plan. I only activate the approach when cleared for the approach at the selected IAF or when assigned a heading and being vectors to the final approach course. There are a number of other scenarios that exist where you may or may not have to press the activate approach LSK but I don't think you are asking about those...yet.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:23pm
Yes, it is really just a planning/operational choice. You may wish to have the approach loaded for review, but not yet execute it until cleared, as Gring notes. It just gives you more flexibility.

Note that if you are not currently direct the destination, the procedure will be placed before the destination point in logical sequence, with a GAP between the chosen IAF and the last waypoint of the fltplan you entered. You can then either activate the procedure to go direct the IAF, or you can close the GAP, and have it sequence into the approach from your other entered fltplan points.

If you are direct the destination, then it is the active waypoint, so then the procedure is placed after the destination, with another instance of the destination tacked on. If you then hit activate approach, you are executed direct the IAF, and then the destination. The "duplicated" destination point disappears from the strip.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Apr 2015 at 9:28pm
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:42pm
Thanks, your feedback and the simulator really lets me see how this plays out. Great unit, well worth the wait.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Jrlumpp Jrlumpp wrote:

Thanks, your feedback and the simulator really lets me see how this plays out. Great unit, well worth the wait.

You betcha!

* Orest

Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:09am
Before departing off of my home airport I entered the destination airport since it is only 13 miles away. I entered the procedure, the RNAV 29, WOBIL intersection. My intent was to get all of that entered before departure and activate it after airborne.

My reason for not activating the approach on the ground is that I would have to re-enter direct to WOBIL  once airborne because the course line would no longer be valid.

After I was airborne, the activate button was no longer there.  I pressed the direct button and activated direct to the IAF of WOBIL but is that is the same as activating the approach?

I did the same scenario on the IFD simulator and the Activate Approach button stayed alive no matter how long I waited to activate it.

My question, What is the proper procedure here? Should the Activate Approach button disappear like that?

During approaches to this airport last week I did the RNAV LPV approach to each runway.  I never got a vertical deviation indicator for either approach on the Aspen EFD 1000.  Back at my home airport I did the RNAV LPV and did get the vertical indicator.  Any reason for that?

I did a LOC approach to another airport.  Shouldn't I be getting a DME on the Aspen?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:16am
The activate Flt Plan is available while you are on the ground to give you the option to activate before departure.  Once you reach a certain speed on the takeoff roll, the unit activates your flight plan automatically and the "activate" button disapppears.  I hope this answers your question.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 5:58pm

To Kentucky Captain,

You said: "I did a LOC approach to another airport.  Shouldn't I be getting a DME on the Aspen?"

Do you expect the distance via your DME receiver or the GPS?

Which DME distance do you expect? If there is a DME distance associated with the Approach it is generally near the localizer transmitter shack. If there is another localizer approach in the opposite direction, it may well use the same DME transmitter.  The distances shown on the chart will be the ones from the location of the DME transceiver, not necessarily either end of the runway.

Minneapolis is another odd one. The DME transmitter is located near the glide slope antenna for the northwest runway. When landing to the northwest, the distance will be to that spot. When landing to the southeast, they still use the DME distance to the glide path shack for the other runway. I see no practical way to show a DME distance via GPS for any localizer approach. If there are step downs based on a DME distance, it should show the name of the fix and that will certainly be accurate via GPS regardless of the distance to the DME transceiver site.

There are a few localizer associated DME distances that are based on a close by VOR/DME, but that will be shown on the individual chart.

Any help at all?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

During approaches to this airport last week I did the RNAV LPV approach to each runway.  I never got a vertical deviation indicator for either approach on the Aspen EFD 1000.  Back at my home airport I did the RNAV LPV and did get the vertical indicator.  Any reason for that?

I did a LOC approach to another airport.  Shouldn't I be getting a DME on the Aspen?

Sorry it took so long to revisit this question of mine.  As to the vertical guidance not displaying on the LPV approaches at the satellite airport, my brain read LPV on the chart when in reality it read LP.  This airport has LP approaches to both ends.  Now I know the difference and won't be looking for a glideslope on a "Localizer Precision" approach.

My other question about the DME.  I don't have a DME in the airplane but I thought that the Aspen would display DME from the IFD.  On this particular approach, the LOC RWY 5 at KEKX, I had activated the approach and never saw any DME display on the Aspen. With the GPS approaches, you see the DME to the next waypoint on the approach.  Am I doing something wrong or expecting something that won't be there?  I did see the waypoints on the map underlay but had no DME displaying anywhere.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 7:50am
Hello Kentucky Captain-

The localizer DME waypoints are in the IFD540 database as Ixyz, where xyz is the localizer identifier. However, I do not believe the distance to these waypoints is displayed on either the Aspen or the IFD540 during a localizer approach activated on the IFD540. The IFD540 will display the distance to the MAP, but when IFD540 is in VLOC mode, no distance information is displayed on the Aspen, as near as I can tell.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 8:49am
On the IFD540, if you set up a datablock to show the current waypoint information you will see the GPS distance (can be used as DME distance) to the waypoint.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic