Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

scratchy transmit audio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scratchy transmit audio
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:30pm
I have six flight days on my new installation. Each day i have maybe four flights. On four of these flights, ATC has said my radio is very scratchy and nearly unreadable. On the balance of the flights they say it is perfect - 5 by 5. 2nd radio is good when 540 isn't, so it's probably not the mic (bose A20's) or audio panel (amx240 new install with 540 and axp340 xpdr).

The poor audio lasts the entire flight. Next flight it is ok, even if that flight is after a short shutdown. Today i rebooted the 540 to see if that fixed it. Nope. I listened with my handheld - there is scratch static when i key xmit, even without talking. Reception is always good.

Do i need to send unit in? Installing shop couldn't replicate.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:32am
I have EXACTLY the same problem with my IFD540. The sidetone is also scratchy & nearly unreadable. Pax also hear the scratch when I transmit. Com2 is my old G430W and it works fine when I switch to it. After Q&A with my installer, they concluded that the unit needs to go back to Avidyne for repair. Mic, audio panel, intercom have not been changed.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:40pm
We maintain VHF cal data for each unit manufactured.   Before removing the unit and sending it back, I recommend supplying your problem description, and unit serial number to Avidyne Tech Support.  They *should* be able to have factory folks check the cal data to see if anything looks fishy.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic