Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How is this possible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is this possible
    Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 3:02pm
My setup is a dual IFD 540 with Aspens and a Garmin GTX330 (no ES).

Today I was flying and I saw traffic. Often it will give a squawk code. Today, however, I saw the call sign.. N90VK .. an old Commanche.

How is this possible??? I thought this was a specific ADS-B function?
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 3:40pm
Do you have TAS 6XX installed?  If so I believe it will display that information from Mode S targets.

The TAS6XX will display tail number information if the following requirements are met:
  1. U.S. registered aircraft
  2. The target aircraft must have a Mode S Transponder
  3. Avidyne display

Edited by fritz - 28 Jun 2015 at 3:44pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 4:50pm
Right.  The IFD540 will display tail numbers when that Mode S data is available to it.   It's all about the Mode S function which has no dependency on ADS-B.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 11:13am
Just curious here:

How is it that you support TIS-A traffic but cannot yet display TIS-B traffic from the MLB100?  I'm guessing it's something to do with FAA approval.  This feature, which I believe did not make it in 10.1, is the trigger for me ordering the MLB100.

This is because weather, which I can get on my iPad is, for me, a strategic tool but traffic is an immediate, tactical, benefit and I want it front and center on my IFD.

I hate to even ask, but do you have TIS-B support locked into a particular release yet?

And I LOVE the single-line FMS display feature in 10.1.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

How is it that you support TIS-A traffic but cannot yet display TIS-B traffic from the MLB100?  I'm guessing it's something to do with FAA approval.  This feature, which I believe did not make it in 10.1, is the trigger for me ordering the MLB100.

Complexity and time to the finish  line.  Had to triage some items.  

Just curious here:

I hate to even ask, but do you have TIS-B support locked into a particular release yet?

Yes but not one I'm willing to talk about yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:16am

Jake,

I know the MLB100 can output data in a variety of ways.

Will the IFD process TIS-B traffic (from the MLB100) on the same serial data input that currently provides the FIS-B weather?  My understanding of the ARINC 429 standard format is that it only supports the TIS-A traffic, but I could be wrong about that.

David

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Just curious here:

Yes but not one I'm willing to talk about yet.

Understood. I respect that.  TIS-B support is #1 on my wish list now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic