Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to listen to the NAV frequency?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to listen to the NAV frequency?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:56am
FWIW, I've found that the automatic ID decoding on the IFD is not nearly as good with marginal signals as I can manage by listening.
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 9:13pm
Ah, okay. I think I see where I went wrong. I'll give this a try tomorrow and see for sure. :-)

Thanks!
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 8:50pm
It works much the same as your KX155. On the audio panel select NAV 1 to activate the audio input. On the IFD540 push the lower left knob to tune and make active the VOR freq. then press the top left volume knob, this puts the NAV receiver into ident mode where you can listen to the morse code identification.

Edited by Gring - 07 Jul 2015 at 9:28pm
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 8:38pm
I've been training for my IFR ticket with my newly installed IFD540 in our Glastar and generally liking it A LOT. But there's a lot to learn and nothing forces that like having to do all the instrument training.

One thing I didn't see in the manual is how I can listen in on the NAV freq when I tune a VOR. With my old KX 155 NAV/COM it was easy, you just turn up the volume on the nav side.

I know the 540 will auto-ID VORs and I've seen that work--most of time. Today it refused to ID a local VOR that was apparently in service the whole time (I called flight service to verify there were no NOTAMs for the VOR after the flight).

While in flight my instructor asked how we could listen to the morse code and I had to admit that I didn't know.

What (obvious) trick am I missing? It's entirely possible I've missed in the manual, but my keyword searches in the PDF haven't turned up anything relevant so far.

Thanks!

Jeremy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic