Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne joins the wireless game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne joins the wireless game
    Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:37am

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/July/20/Avidyne-joins-the-wireless-game

This could really be interesting.  Now this is open architecture....

mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 7:50am
That is very exciting indeed.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 8:24am
Will this be BlueTooth, WiFi, or both?

I hope Avidyne will publish a document which describes the capabilities of the interface soon.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 8:33am
WiFi.

BlueTooth is used for keyboard to IFD comm.   All the interesting stuff is over WiFi.

The SDK contains a current list of the data available (and a solicitation for other data folks want to see/share).  That will be published soon and available to anyone who wants to sign up for the $0 lightweight license approval.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 10:55am

That is terrific news, and I am delighted to see that the comments to "wait a bit" to see what Avidyne would come up with, were right on target!

The ability to sit at your fuel stop (and/or lunch stop) and plan the rest of your trip in the terminal/restaurant and then upload it as a route to the 540/440 once you are back in the airplane, would be outstanding.  This is the other side of pre-planning the flight at home the night or morning before.

I have also mentioned this functionality previously in terms of uploading search patterns from ForeFlight as a route, to greatly assist Coast Guard Auxiliary and CAP pilots.  But, as you know, this basic functionality has a much wider audience for many applications.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:59pm
That. Is. Awesome.

Thanks. It re-enforces my choice of Avidyne for our recent pricey panel upgrade. (Not complaining about the cost, just saying... it feels like money well spent when I see things like this announced.)

Jeremy
(a software developer who gets excited by stuff like this)
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:38pm
"Tier 2 developers planning to create read/write apps (those that send data back to the IFD540/440 units), will be required to complete a more thorough vetting process and testing protocol."

Can you provide some insight behind the level of vetting you anticipate?  Would it be viable/worthwhile for individuals to become tier 2 for their own personal developments?  I'm imagining that there will be some sort of mandated process in order to "upload" data to the 540 such as getting approved applications through official app stores that would limit individual one-off apps, but figured I'd ask.

Is this something that we need to contact Avidyne other than through the forums?

Edited by brou0040 - 24 Jul 2015 at 6:42pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm
Anyone can do it but it will need to come through us for the approval thumbs up.   Of course a personal check written to my name will likely help grease the skids....

In all seriousness, the only tricky part is getting enough of our attention to get us to do something with the data you are trying to send us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Anyone can do it but it will need to come through us for the approval thumbs up.   Of course a personal check written to my name will likely help grease the skids....

In all seriousness, the only tricky part is getting enough of our attention to get us to do something with the data you are trying to send us.

This is excellent.  Can you describe what hooks will be available via read/write?  Specifically, I'm curious about creating alternate hold instructions as I described in this post.  If the read/write apps only have the ability to duplicate button pushes etc of the 540, then this won't be possible, but since altitude terminated heading legs can be created via Jepp departure procedures, it seems like a solution could be engineered...  It seems like that may be a fine line, you'd need to be able to create a fake departure procedure or missed approach procedure that is not in the database, but it wouldn't require any navigation capability not already present in the 540.

Edited by brou0040 - 24 Jul 2015 at 7:25pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm
The SDK that we'll publish shortly will define all the data available in the output stream and data types that we can take in the input stream.

It will also solicit folks to request making additional data available in the output stream and in examples like yours, perhaps have us add the ability to in-take and parse additional/new types of data.  So if you don't see the data you want in the SDK list, nominate that new data to be added.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic