Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bendix/King KI 209A Indicator problem w/IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bendix/King KI 209A Indicator problem w/IFD540
    Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:41pm
A couple weeks ago my instrument instructor had me shoot a local VOR approach. I did a really good job of keeping the needle centered but when I pulled the hood off, we were several miles from the airport. He was surprised too and asked if it had been properly calibrated since the 540 was installed.

Well, I was the avionics shop yesterday (for other work) and mentioned the problem. The tech said they've seen a few people who've had trouble with their 209 and the 540. (They've done a number of 540 installs in the last few months.) Essentially they can calibrate it at 150 degrees as documented, but there's an unacceptable amount of "drift" at some of the other compass positions.

Anyone else seen or heard of this?

The tech said that Avidyne was hoping to fix in the the latest firmware but that doesn't seem to have happened.  And, of course, I was 30 minutes too late to call Avidyne today (I'm on the west coast) so figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks,

Jeremy
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:47pm
I have never heard of that until now and fervently believe that is rubbish.

I'd be very interested in hearing what shop has this experience.   It seems highly unlikely to me given all the 209's we've flown with and used and how the calibration algorithm works but that is such a red-alarm post that we need to investigate fully.

More data please.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:50pm
That may read as very attack dog-ish so sorry about that.  Just very interested in squashing this or getting data to investigate.  This report sounds like a big deal.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:50pm
I'm glad to provide more and gather some data.

We have a flight lesson scheduled for Thursday AM that will involve just VOR approaches, so if there's something we can test in the air, let's hear it.

Is there a good number I can call to talk to you or someone about this?

Thanks,

Jeremy
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 6:50pm
We'll put together a series of tests/questions for you and shoot your way on Wed.  Thanks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 6:55pm
Sounds great, thanks!

I'll also be back at the Avionics shop Monday (secondary radio install) so if there's anything they can do to help, let me know. I'm happy to pass their name privately.

Jeremy
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:32pm
The entire test we would want can be accomplished in Maintenance Mode on the ground:

Go to the OBS Calibration Page.

Dial 150 on the CDI, then press ENTR to calibration.

Turn to 0 on the CDI. Wait 10 seconds or until the value stabilizes. Record the value shown on the OBS calibration page.

Do the same for 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, 240, 270, 300 and 330.

Send the data to Avidyne (sjacobson@avidyne.com).  That should tell us everything.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:50pm
OK, will do. Thanks!

Jeremy
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:17am
What was the resolution on this issue?

I had an IFD540 / KI209A combo installed in April 2016. When performing the calibration procedure AviJake notes above, the IFD will display 16.4 degrees when the OBS is set to 30 and is off by about the same amount for 120, 210, 300 degrees. It is dead on for 60, 150, 240, and 320 degrees.

Also seeing the lateral movement of the needle move half as far as it should for each of the settings (max left, full left, full right, max right). This corresponds with half-the-expected deflections in GPS mode. When in VOR-LOC mode, lateral deflections are within expectation. Ideas?

Edit:
Version 10.1.1, CDI is KI209A

Edited by skitheo - 09 Aug 2016 at 1:46am
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:36am
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

What was the resolution on this issue?

I had an IFD540 / KI209A combo installed in April 2016. When performing the calibration procedure AviJake notes above, the IFD will display 16.4 degrees when the OBS is set to 30 and is off by about the same amount for 120, 210, 300 degrees. It is dead on for 60, 150, 240, and 320 degrees.

Also seeing the lateral movement of the needle move half as far as it should for each of the settings (max left, full left, full right, max right). This corresponds with half-the-expected deflections in GPS mode. When in VOR-LOC mode, lateral deflections are within expectation. Ideas?

In my case, the "resolution" was to replace the KI-209 with an Garmin GI-106.

Jeremy
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:47pm
AviJake? Simpson? 

BTW, I'll be sure to connect with you (Simpson for sure and Steve if he's there) in Bremerton. I'll be flying in on Friday morning for the Stennis tour.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:15pm
Dunno.  This will take some homework on the part of the engineer who did that integration a few years ago and he is off all week on holiday. 

I will say that the KI-209A in our lab works exactly as expected so this report is a bit of a mystery to me right now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:30pm
Thanks for the response Steve!

Commander Instruments and Avionics has a replacement KI-209A on the way to me. So we'll soon see if it's the actual CDI unit or something else going on. 

Question: how important is it to wait 10 seconds at each 30 degree increment when checking the OBS calibration? It did not appear to change much after about a second, +/- 0.3 degrees. But I can double-check in the morning.

Thanks again,
Theo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:32pm
Dwell time is not that critical.  You are just trying to let the indicator stabilize and if it's stable/steady after a second or two, that should be fine.

Fingers crossed on the replacement unit doing the trick.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:41pm
Replacement unit did NOT do the trick. Seems the original box (IFD) I received was Hardware Rev 10. Hardware Rev 11 (aka MOD 12) was to "CHANGE RESOLVER INPUTS TO AC COUPLED". Avidyne tech support has sent overnight a replacement unit that is upgraded to Rev 11. To be installed tomorrow morning. Hopefully that takes care of the OBS error.

The horizontal navigation needle swing may have been a loose connector on the KI-209A. Will test after IFD swap and configuration.

Edited by skitheo - 25 Aug 2016 at 6:42pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:51pm
IFD swap did the trick on the OBS resolver synchronization. 

Everything else checked out in terms of the interface to the KI-209A. It's nice to have < +/-0.5 degree VOR check on a VOT point. 

BTW, Matt in Tech Support has been very helpful on another issue.
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
So is this a known problem with the original HW IFD units?
how can I tell which version I have?

Tim
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:34am
See the Unit Modifications, section 1.3, MOD12 of the Installation Manual: http://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/600%2D00299%2D000.pdf
Hardware revision is displayed, IIRC, in the Hardware Versions page of the Configuration/update mode screens. See section 7.5.1.5 of the above referenced document.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic