Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK, nearly end of summer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, nearly end of summer
    Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 4:46pm
Anything new to report on the TAS-XXX-A upgrade/box swap?

My plane goes back into the shop for other avionics stuff and if there's any chance of completing this soon it would be terrific.

Summer's almost over.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:34pm
David,

Last time I asked this question on the "A" upgrade, I heard early "Fall", 2015.
Apparently there is both a hardware & software upgrade when it rolls out.

Tom Wolf
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:31pm
Reference TAS-A, the hardware was recently just approved/certified by the FAA.

Unit availability should start around January 2016.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Reference TAS-A, the hardware was recently just approved/certified by the FAA.

Unit availability should start around January 2016.

I would call that winter, not fall.

Really?  Does that mean what you ship as new purchases shipping say in August will have to be redone?

Seems like a long lag.

Edited by ddgates - 27 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:09pm
Not necessarily but TAS-A upgrade hardware availability will be about January of 2016. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:12pm
OK, I get it.

David Gates
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:39pm
Are we still on target for the 605 -> 605A this quarter? My 540 and 440 are still on the shelf waiting for install, pending this and the transponder issues
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:59pm
Short answer = No.

Longer answer = the TAS605A hardware is done and certified.   The accompanying software that takes advantage of that new hardware is not done and is several months away from being done.   We prefer to hold off shipping TAS6XXA upgrade units until the software is done to save time and expense for all involved.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Baron jockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 12:44pm
Last post on the TAS-A status indicated availability Jan. '16.  We're there now -- how do things stand?
Baron jockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 12:49pm
Just saw the Jan 5 post.  Are we realistically looking at another half year or more?  The promise date keeps getting pushed further into the future and it's approaching 2 years since my purchase of the 605 predicated on the ADS-B in feature.
Timothy Nathan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
I was an early installer of the TAS605A on the basis of the promise; I have a certificate from September 2014.

At the time they were promising 1090 ADS-B In capability by the end of that year.  The promises have moved on in 3 month tranches since then.

Whenever the name Avidyne comes up on UK discussion forums - typically asking about the IFD540 to replace the GTN530 - I just warn people to steer right away from them, not to touch them with a bargepole, as we say in the UK, on the grounds that they are unreliable, inefficient, untrustworthy, unresponsive and will say anything to secure a sale.

I would advocate that everyone with a 605A certificate should do the same.  If we hit their 540 sales hard enough, maybe they will begin to think about the reputational damage they are doing themselves and put some resource into meeting their promises.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Timothy Nathan Timothy Nathan wrote:

they are unreliable, inefficient, untrustworthy, unresponsive and will say anything to secure a sale.

Feel free to exercise your freedom of speech elsewhere.  Those kinds of accusations will not be tolerated here.

You know nothing of the company's efficiency.

If you mean untrustworthy in the sense of knowingly stating deceitful things then that is way off the mark.

If you mean unresponsive in failing to listen to and address customer needs and questions then you are severely mistaken.

If you mean what you wrote about saying anything to secure a sale, then again, you are far, far away from reality.

Please don't hesitate to post product reviews, ask product questions, and share valuable thoughts on this forum.  But false and provocative statements will not be allowed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:34pm
Feel free not to listen.  Is that par for the course?  You tell me.

The point remains that I and others are being very negative about Avidyne in forums that you cannot control.  Here, in this forum, it is preaching to the choir - we all know what you have said and done to your 605A customers, that is why we are here.

Outside in other forums, potential Avidyne customers maybe do not know how you have treated your customers, and need to be told before they commit to buy.

If you are responsive, as you imply, then your response will not just be to shut me up, it will be to recognise the anger and disappointment and do something about it.  

But I can tell you one thing about your responsiveness - every time I call Avidyne to enquire about this I get reassured that someone from such-and-such a team will get back to me.  Never.  Nada.  Zilch.  Not one returned call, not one update call that has been promised.  Look me up, I am using my real name.

By all means get rid of me from here.  Your trainset, your rules.  But think just for a moment what the effect of that is likely to be.  Would you not prefer to have this debate here than in the aviation press and forums?

It is wryly amusing that the only reason that I found this forum is that someone on the PPL/IR Europe forum (yes, that's right, the forum with most of the private instrument rated pilots in Europe on it) said that the one good thing about Avidyne was that they have a forum for discussion.

Shall I go back and say "well, sort of, but only if you write what Avidyne want you to write"?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:06pm
Timothy,

Wow, you are one unhappy fellow. I don't share any of your perspectives myself, but it is a big, wide world. I also have the 605 installed, and will get the "A" when it becomes available. It will enhance operations somewhat, but the basic traffic warning value of the unit will not change greatly.

Not sure why you mention the IFD540, it really has nothing to do with the 605's. The IFD units are absolutely marvelous technology -- in my view you are doing a serious disservice to your fellow blokes characterizing it otherwise.

Incidentally, Avidyne is now strongly shying away from discussing potential release dates for products, largely because of backlash for missing dates, often for reasons largely out of their control. Too bad, I enjoyed following the certification sagas along.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Feb 2016 at 6:13pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:08pm
Well I view that last post as far more reasonable on your part.   We welcome any constructive input.    Your first post was not a "debate" it was an attempt to set off a nuke.

I'm just not going to get myself all worked up over outside forums.   We read virtually all of them and they are an excellent pulse on the world.    Many of them even have good signal to noise ratios.

In an attempt to directly address what I think you are asking or observing:

1.  The TAS-A software is on a course that makes it available later this year.   It's placement in the priority queue is where it is.  Do we want it available yesterday?  You bet.   The reality is that it is going as fast as it can.

2.  No call backs from Avidyne Tech Support?   I take you at your word and agree that sucks and is not acceptable.   We'll look into it.  I know all the folks in Tech Support and they take their job very seriously.

3.  I don't think there is a #3 - did I miss it?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Wow, you are one unhappy fellow. I don't share any of your perspectives myself, but it is a big, wide world. I also have the 605 installed, and will get the "A" when it becomes available. It will enhance operations somewhat, but the basic traffic warning value of the unit will not change greatly.

Not sure why you mention the IFD540, it really has nothing to do with the 605's. The IFD units are absolutely marvelous technology -- in my view you are doing a serious disservice to your fellow blokes characterizing it otherwise, or badmouthing Avidyne for that matter.

I am unhappy.  I do not like being treated as Avidyne have treated me.

I only mention the 540 because it is the only other Avidyne product that people in the European GA world generally talk about, and, as you say, my complaints are not about the TAS605 product (which I agree is very good) but with the way Avidyne has treated me.  Companies do not generally ring-fence their behaviours, so I assume that a 540 customer will be dealt with as I have been;  it is that that I am warning of.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:27pm

I'm just not going to get myself all worked up over outside forums.   We read virtually all of them and they are an excellent pulse on the world.    Many of them even have good signal to noise ratios.
Many of the forums are relatively private, such as PPL/IR Europe and the various aircraft owners' forums.  That is where the adult and influential debate takes place.  In PPL/IR the GTN750 vs IFD540 debate comes up very regularly among a large number of owners of IFR aircraft.  TAS605A is a very common reason given for not recommending that people move away from Garmin.

Quote It's placement in the priority queue is where it is.
Responsive?

Quote No call backs from Avidyne Tech Support?   I take you at your word and agree that sucks and is not acceptable.   We'll look into it.  I know all the folks in Tech Support and they take their job very seriously.
I think that the promises have been that someone from some other department would contact me.  Possibly Product Management or Marketing?  It is they that have never called back.  I agree that Tech Support are in a cleft stick.  What can they say except that another date has come and gone and there is nothing to show for it?

Quote I don't think there is a #3 - did I miss it?
I think the #3 is about Avidyne learning not to make promises they cannot meet.  I seem to remember a similar thing on LPV approaches (or maybe GNSS in general) on the 540 in Europe?  Or something like that, I forget, and I never really looked into the 540.  But I do know that Avidyne have the reputation in Europe of falling years behind their estimates, and that this usually has to do with EASA certification.

Actually, that raises another issue.  This software that is coming out sometime this year; will it be EASA approved at that point?  And are there enough 605A boxes to meet demand when the software comes out?

Edited by Timothy Nathan - 11 Feb 2016 at 6:33pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

the basic traffic warning value of the unit will not change greatly.
Sorry, I missed this.  I don't agree.  There are already a lot of aircraft squitting their position, the vast majority in controlled airspace do so.

The squitted ADS-B position is much more accurate and reliable than the current twin aerial approach.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:50pm
Quote It will enhance operations somewhat, but the basic traffic warning value of the unit will not change greatly.

Well, I stand by the above, but we can agree to disagree. Perhaps that is why I'm not so pumped on the wait for the "A". 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Feb 2016 at 6:55pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:55pm

I think that the promises have been that someone from some other department would contact me.  Possibly Product Management or Marketing?  It is they that have never called back. 

That's me.   What else do you want to know?

Actually, that raises another issue.  This software that is coming out sometime this year; will it be EASA approved at that point?  And are there enough 605A boxes to meet demand when the software comes out?

Will it be EASA approved at the same time?  No way to know.   EASA is supposed to honor the bilateral agreements.   Hasn't ever happened yet in our experience.   There is always a first.   It is certainly our objective to have this be the case.

Are there enough 605A boxes to meet demand when the software comes out?   I don't know what you mean.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:03pm

That's me.   What else do you want to know?

I wanted that contact when your colleagues promised it.  Your suggestion earlier was that the company is responsive and that it is not therefore necessary to make a noise to be heard.  My experience is the opposite.

Quote Are there enough 605A boxes to meet demand when the software comes out?  I don't know what you mean.

As I understand it from my Avionics shop, the current unit will be removed and it will be replaced with a new box.

The question is whether, when the new software is available, there will be enough such boxes on the Avidyne shelves to meet the immediate demand for upgrade.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm

As I understand it from my Avionics shop, the current unit will be removed and it will be replaced with a new box.

The question is whether, when the new software is available, there will be enough such boxes on the Avidyne shelves to meet the immediate demand for upgrade.

It is true the TAS-A device is a new device.   Will there be enough units to meet the immediate demand for upgrade?   We sure hope so.   We have created a hardware build out plan that satisfies what we think the demand will be.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Boavi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
I can understand Timothy's frustration.  I asked the same question Tuesday, and never got a response.  I had Avidyne products in a previous airplane and was very satisfied.  I bought my 605A 16 months ago, and still no unit.  I guess it's an easy way to give an interest free loan.

As to my original post.  What is the current release date?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
Hi Boavi,

What was your question on Tuesday and it is still an open question?

What did you actually buy 16 months ago?  16 months ago we were selling TAS units with upgrade coupons for TAS-A hardware when it became available.  Are you saying you never even got the TAS unit?

And for clarity, what release are you asking about?   The TAS-A hardware or the TAS-A software?   The software is on track to finish later this year.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Boavi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 4:02pm
I have the upgrade coupon for the 605A.  I assume i have the 605, with the understanding the new 605A would be a new box with the new software.  Yes, the question is still open, but the original question is when will I have a fully functional 605A.  March, April??

Thanks,  
David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 4:06pm
The TAS-A hardware doesn't do anything different than your current TAS.   The hardware is necessary to take advantage of the new TAS-A software that will come out later this year but the current software on your TAS is exactly the same software as we would load on your TAS-A if we shipped it to you today.

It wouldn't do anybody any good to upgrade their TAS units right now and instead, would cost both you and us time and hassle and money.  For that reason, we are waiting until the TAS-A software is available before steaming full ahead with the upgrades.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 4:42pm

It wouldn't do anybody any good to upgrade their TAS units right now and instead, would cost both you and us time and hassle and money.  For that reason, we are waiting until the TAS-A software is available before steaming full ahead with the upgrades.
Well, you could involve us in that decision rather than take it for us.

I have scrapped my Aztec and bought a Navajo.  I have removed all the avionics, including the TAS, and, as we speak, it is being fitted to the Navajo.  

If you were to supply the new hardware now, like this week, that could be installed instead, so that it doesn't need to go back into the shop at some future date.

So it is not true to say that it wouldn't do anybody any good.  
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 5:04pm
There have been a number of posts about missed deadlines.

I personally have commented about the in advisability of "coming soon..." to capture market share; Avidyne I would suspect might reconsider that in the future, and judging by posts here, I think they have...

That said, they are paying penance for history. There are many of us waiting for the TAS-XXXA conversion.

This thread, however, goes beyond that and is vitriolic. It serves no one except to offend what I know to be honorable people trying to deliver in a changing and challenging environment.

Comment on strategy, if necessary (and I have), but personal attacks and impugning character? I think not.
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:45pm
You may know them to be honourable, but what evidence do I have of their honourable nature?

I have only ever bought one thing from them.  I bought it from them rather than Garmin based on a promise.  They broke their promise.  They made another promise.  Broke that.  Promise after promise.

They have taken my money and not supplied the goods.  I have other words for that than honourable.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:43pm
Then perhaps you should take your queues from those of us who have been on this train longitudinally.

I hope all works out well for you.
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 5:37am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Then perhaps you should take your queues from those of us who have been on this train longitudinally.
If that means what I think it means, ie take my cues from long term Avidyne customers, then Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 5:41am
Peace.  Out.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:14am
Mr. Nathan,

We could do this in private but you seem unwilling to do that. 

I may be your best chance to resolve your issues. Do you want to have a civil discourse or are you going to continue to engage in some sort of public flogging? It's an interesting motivational technique on your part and so far, it's not having the effect I think you want it to have.

I would really like to get this resolved in a positive manner. However , we can not provide what you are asking for. We don't have the software complete and ready for distribution and no amount of shaming or venting will change that.

I wish we did have the system available for you and everyone else and extend my apologies that we don't. Given that, do you have a specific ask that is actually reasonable and achievable?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:24am
OK, puting the entire history behind us, I guess that the only thing that would help somewhat is that during my current avionics refit, which is underway and expected to take three further weeks, that they install the new unit with the old software, such that I don't have to go back at some unspecified time in the future to have the new unit fitted.

However, if the new unit is completely plug and tray compatible (and I do know that the avionics shop is doing the wiring so that the new unit will work) I guess that the act of swapping the units will take no longer than flashing the software, so maybe even that is not worth doing.

Quote We could do this in private but you seem unwilling to do that.
I don't know where that is coming from.  You have made no attempt to contact me privately despite my numerous attempts to contact you via Support.

Edited by Timothy Nathan - 13 Feb 2016 at 6:26am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 6:47am
No one I've spoken to in support have any record of your contact attempts and I certainly have never gotten any whiff of your issues until this thread.

I will check with the factory and production folks on Monday to see if the build plan supports your timing.   That being said, yes, the new TAS-A box can use the existing TAS tray.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 2:37am

I will check with the factory and production folks on Monday to see if the build plan supports your timing.
I guess that was the same kind of Monday as your other time forecast estimates?  
idmpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idmpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 8:43pm
I suggest you e mail steve jacobsen directly.He is the most knowledgeable person at avidyne. He will find an answer to most issues and will respond to your questions promptly unless he is out of the country.  Jim George
j george
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 2:59am

That being said, yes, the new TAS-A box can use the existing TAS tray.

I was chatting to my avionics guy yesterday who said that:
  1. According to the paperwork he can find, the new box is a long way from being plug compatible and that they will have to repin some plugs and completely change others.
  2. He had tried to find someone in Avidyne who would talk to him about this, but no-one could/would.
Is that correct?
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:50am
The TAS-A sytems are a drop-in replacement for legacy TAS systems with the following exceptions:

- Although the 9-pin COM1 connector is not typically used in an installation, it is not available on the TAS-A.  The associated RS-232 interface has been moved to a new high-density connector.  If it does happen to be used in a particular installation the 9-pin connector at the end of the aircraft harness would be replaced with a 78-pin connector.

- It should be obvious, but if you are adding connections to support features not previously available in the legacy TAS systems, then additional wires would have to be added to the installation.  These additional connections would typically be added to the new 78-pin connector so that no changes to the existing wires or connectors would be necessary.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:05am
Said differently, if you are not using COM1 of the TAS unit, then you can drop a TAS-A unit into an existing TAS tray and there is no rewiring or modifications of any kind needed.

What is the contact info of your avionics guy so we can talk directly to him and straighten him out?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 12:37pm

What is the contact info of your avionics guy so we can talk directly to him and straighten him out? 

Brian Cook
avionics@bavionics.co.uk
+44 7969 512017

They are doing the job as I write, though it is past closing time today, so Monday would be great, thank you.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 10:44am
Steve (AVJake):

With all the excitement on the IFD540/440 v10.2.0 upgrades, I am just trying to catch up on our TAS 6xx-A upgrades...

Any update on target date for the hardware/software "A" upgrades to our TAS units to combine active TAS-In with MLB-In display?

Thanks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Any update on target date for the hardware/software "A" upgrades to our TAS units to combine active TAS-In with MLB-In display?

Thanks.

I hadn't heard that the TAS "A" units would be combining inputs from the MLB, and their own, but rather that they would combine the rebroadcast and direct cast 1090 out squawks, received by the TAS units directly, with the active traffic squawks they are seeing.

But if they did, that would be a more direct path to 978 traffic squawks, not needing to rely on rebroadcast.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 11:11am
I don't think the promised TAS-A upgrade was contingent on having an MLB.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 11:53am
That's right - no dependency on the MLB100 (now called SkyTrax 100).

Progress on the software program continues. Not done yet and at least a few months of work still to go.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 10:18am
May we have a status update please?

When I started this thread ("end of summer"), it was 2015.  Now we are just about at OSH 2016.  

Edited by ddgates - 12 Jul 2016 at 10:21am
David Gates
N969SS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N969SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:31pm
Delays surely are disappointing to pilots and manufacturer alike.  It has been interesting to watch different reactions on various forums to slipping dates which I do not find all that disconcerting in this period of intense, rapid technological change and flawed government regulation.  My confidence in the company remains extremely high, particularly since the all-Avidyne R9 Platinum panel on N969SS, one of the first installed, has functioned flawlessly for me now for over 1,300 flight hours.  They get it right the first time, and when a complete Avidyne ADS-B solution is available, it will go right into my Cirrus.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 1:30pm
It was not my intent to diss Avidyne, and has not been.

Two years, however, is more than a delay; I would call it something else.

It is not unreasonable for a customer who has purchased a product to inquire when a promised component is to be delivered.

For that reason, I am looking for an update from Avidyne.

Edited by ddgates - 12 Jul 2016 at 1:40pm
David Gates
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:20pm
Although the TAS-A has been shipping for some time now, we have not begun to ship updates to existing installations yet.  The current TAS-A product offers the same functionality as the previous TAS series products.  We will begin updating installed TAS units to TAS-A after the software providing ADS-B functionality is shipping.  Work on the ADS-B software update is continuing and is generating much excitement for those of us working on it, but we still have a number of months to go.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:43pm
That does not sound promising.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic