Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two 540s - redundancy question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two 540s - redundancy question
    Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:32pm
Noticed something on the way to OSH.  Spoke to the guys in the booth, and wanted to document here. 

I have two 540s.  
I wanted to "tune in a VOR" on the #2.  Just to see what radial etc. from it.   I push the OBS button on #2 and both of my 540s change to VOR from GPS.    

I can think of another case where this is "sub-optimal":   If I were shooting an ILS, I might want to set #1 GPS, GPSS to the final, or vectors etc.   I might want to put the ILS in the #2 540, so that I can see the analog cdi indications and notice that I have or do not have LOC/GS before and as the 540 auto switches.    

This, and the ensuing discussions brought up a few other points. 

Background:
 -  My panel is wired, I believe, with the WX-500 and GDL-69 inputs going into the #1 540 and then shared between them. 
 -  My GPSS from my Stec-50 AP is wired only to #1.  (My shop didn't like the idea of switching that input. 
 -  My shop sent my original 106A out to Garmin to be fixed, and installed a new one with the first 540.  (530W replacement).   My shop installed the fixed 106A with new 540 #2 install.  

I am not excited about the "single point of failure-ness" of all this.  If my #1 box dies, I could lose a LOT of capability:  AP/GPSS, XM and stormscope.    I am not sure why I bought two 106As ($2500).  Since, whatever I have one 540 tracking, the other is, too.  

I think that there should maybe be a software setting for the second box that says, "do what #1 is doing - or do your own thing"   - I admit, that I don't know the whole perfect answer, yet. 

Any other thoughts on the way I'm wired, and general "no single Point of failure"-ness. 

I will say, so far...  VERY Pleased with the 540s. 

"DISCUSS"  :)

Ken

Edited by AviJake - 27 Jul 2015 at 12:29pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:17pm
The first thing that sounds funky and not correct is pushing OBS on #2 should not change the nav mode on #1.

Very interested in getting those logs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 7:48pm
Agree something is not right.  I have 2 540s also.  To change from GPS to VOR it is not a button push but rather a turn of the knob.    I am definitely able to have my top 540 in GPS mode and my bottom 540 in VOR mode.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 10:11pm
Hmmm...  Maybe this is operator error.  Standby...
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:06am

When you push the knob, you toggle between GPS mode and OBS mode (but still in GPS navigation).  I can see where this piece of data might be shared across units.

When you rotate the knob, you toggle between GPS Navigation mode and VOR Navigation mode.  I would not expect this to be shared across units.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 11:03am
Thanks for the info.  I recall trying twisting, pushing, etc...   :)
But, ya know, when you are flying along, sometimes you're a bit distracted...  

Ken
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 11:06am
No problem. Mind if I change the title of the thread? Would love to have it sound a little less serious to reflect the actual condition a little better.

I'll change it to "Two 540s - redundancy question"

Edited by AviJake - 27 Jul 2015 at 12:30pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 1:52pm
Steve - 

No problem on the title change.  

I don't want to be too harsh.  :)

Ken

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:13pm
My bad - I had to dope slap myself - wasn't thinking clearly about OBS.   You can't have one IFD in leg mode (e.g. GPS or VLOC) and one in OBS mode if they are sharing a flight plan/guidance.

This is a consequence of there being just one FMS.  If you want 2 FMS instances running, then CrossSync needs to be turned off.  In OBS mode, there is a master (IFD #1) and a slave (IFD #2) for the OBS course.
Since they are separate units, they can/will have separate CDIs.  When you go into OBS mode on one, they both go into OBS mode.  At that point, which selected course do you use?  Answer = #1 IFD and we flag IFD #2 CDI as invalid because the selected course shown on CDI #2 has no bearing (pun intended) on the OBS course used in the IFD.   Only CDI #1 is in use as the OBS source when in dual IFD with CrossSync and OBS mode active.

There is a note to this effect in the OBS Mode part of Section 5 in the pilot guides:

Note

OBS Behavior in Dual IFD Operations                     For those installations that include dual IFDs t hat are separately wired to two different nav indicators, the #2 IFD will automatically switch into OBS mode when #1 IFD Nav Source has been put into OBS and the #2 nav indicator will flag invalid.  This is because the FMS stays sync’d between the two IFDs.  The #2 IFD will display the selected course as set by the #1 nav indicator on the map page.

Sorry about the confusion I caused with the silly initial answer.

Edited by AviJake - 28 Jul 2015 at 7:51am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:00pm
Now I am confused.  I tried turning the obs knob, as suggested on #2 and it did, in fact, go to VLOC and #1 stayed in GPS.  But, I had no Flight plan loaded, etc.  

Looks like I'm gonna have to go flying again...  :)    AFTER I read the manual again.  

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 27 Jul 2015 at 10:01pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:03pm
That knob is the Nav Source knob. Twisting the knob toggles you between GPS and VLOC. In dual IFD installations you can put one IFD in GPS and the other in VLOC. When it is set to GPS and you press in the knob, it will push you into OBS mode.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:05pm
I think that is what I intended to do: 
#1 - GPS 
#2 - VLOC - to tune a VOR or ILS. 

What is OBS mode?   (I promise to read the manual).  

Ken
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:12pm
There are folks who swear by this function but I'm personally no fan of it and never use it operationally. I'm sure some will speak up here and speak positively of the mode.

You use it to set a desired inbound or outbound course to/from a waypoint or fix or airport. Imagine trying to set up your own final approach into a private airfield that doesn't have a published approach.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:21pm
The one benefit I like with OBS mode is to create a "runway extended line" when flying into an unfamiliar field. When I get close, I set the OBS to the runway heading and it creates that course to the field visually. Of course, once Avidyne incorporates an extended line in a release, that function won't be needed. 😉😉
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 11:21pm
I'm sure I'm mixing up the exact details of what I did, but I was getting vectors all over the place a few days ago due to Airventure while IFR to eastern WI.  I was told maintain heading XYZ and intercept QWE radial to waypoint ICantRemember.  Anyways, I think I hit Direct To ICantRemember, put it into OBS mode, dialed in the QWE radial and flew XYZ until I hit the magenta line.  If I remember correctly, ICantRemember was an intersection so putting it into VLOC would not have helped.

Unfortunately, my flight back to CA was cut short.  A Cessna 340 that wasn't tied down jumped it's chocks and rolled right into my rudder.  At least my 540 has been working!

Edited by brou0040 - 27 Jul 2015 at 11:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
So, I THINK that was I was trying to do, is possible.  (tune a VOR on #2 while using GPS on #1. 
That is good.    

Anyone have any comments on the lack of redundancy with all of the input/outputs going into #1?  I was disappointed that I can't drive the STEC GPSS from either box.   And that XM WX and Stormscope go into #1 and get shared.     This is a philosophy thing.  

I apologize for the FUD around not understanding OBS mode.  I'll dig into the manual. 

Ken

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:57am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

So, I THINK that was I was trying to do, is possible.  (tune a VOR on #2 while using GPS on #1. 
That is good.    

Anyone have any comments on the lack of redundancy with all of the input/outputs going into #1?  I was disappointed that I can't drive the STEC GPSS from either box.   And that XM WX and Stormscope go into #1 and get shared.     This is a philosophy thing.  

I apologize for the FUD around not understanding OBS mode.  I'll dig into the manual. 

Ken

Not being able to switch from 1 to 2 on your autopilot and not having your weather on both boxes is laziness on your installer's part or not being willing to pay for the labor to do it. That can be done - has nothing to do with your Avidyne IFDs.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

There are folks who swear by this function but I'm personally no fan of it and never use it operationally. I'm sure some will speak up here and speak positively of the mode.

Steve, then I'm confused how you would do the following.  Since I've been using OBS mode when doing the SID out of Memphis, how would you comply with taking off RWY 36R via the ELVIS3.EONEE? You'd get your initial vectors after takeoff then be told:
"Fly 090, Join the departure"

Based on what the IFD540 loads for waypoints for the SID and the fact you must join the 071 radial, what sequences would you use to get to EONEE?

I can think of more or less 3 ways to do it:
1. Manually add the MEM VOR prior the EONEE fix then manually activate the leg and couple the AP to HDG with NAV armed in GPS.
2. Watch the bearing to the fix manually till it hits 071 then know to press -D-> to EONEE
3. Use the OBS mode on EONEE and twist 071 in the HSI and again leaving AP in HDG arm the NAV.

Option #3 is IMHO the least button pushes, automated and it doesn't modify the flight plan, but you do get a flagged CDI on #2.
Option #1 would work if you can insert waypoints in the SID and would result in both CDI's working, but seems cumbersome and results in changing the Flight Plan from what the unit loads for the SID.
Option #2 results in eyes down watching numbers to time button presses.

Or are you flying around using the IFD540 "HDG" mode that we all are waiting for? :)  Which, by the way, I'm curious how that'll be rolled out given the current "push vs twist" functionality of the upper right knob.
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 11:26am
To clarify Lance's comment:

The STEC needs an ARINC 429 input from an IFD to enable GPSS steering.  If you have two IFDs, you need a switch to select the ARINC input from either #1 or #2.  I had this done for my 2 IFD installation and it works perfectly.

On a side note, if you have an Aspen PFD installed and both IFDs already talk to it, you can simply use the Aspen's GPSS and NAV selection to achieve the same result via the STEC HDG mode.  In my basic tests the Aspen GPSS and direct GPSS from the IFDs are equally effective.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Steve, then I'm confused how you would do the following.  Since I've been using OBS mode when doing the SID out of Memphis, how would you comply with taking off RWY 36R via the ELVIS3.EONEE? You'd get your initial vectors after takeoff then be told:
"Fly 090, Join the departure"

Based on what the IFD540 loads for waypoints for the SID and the fact you must join the 071 radial, what sequences would you use to get to EONEE?

I can think of more or less 3 ways to do it:
1. Manually add the MEM VOR prior the EONEE fix then manually activate the leg and couple the AP to HDG with NAV armed in GPS.
2. Watch the bearing to the fix manually till it hits 071 then know to press -D-> to EONEE
3. Use the OBS mode on EONEE and twist 071 in the HSI and again leaving AP in HDG arm the NAV.

Option #3 is IMHO the least button pushes, automated and it doesn't modify the flight plan, but you do get a flagged CDI on #2.
Option #1 would work if you can insert waypoints in the SID and would result in both CDI's working, but seems cumbersome and results in changing the Flight Plan from what the unit loads for the SID.
Option #2 results in eyes down watching numbers to time button presses.

Or are you flying around using the IFD540 "HDG" mode that we all are waiting for? :)  Which, by the way, I'm curious how that'll be rolled out given the current "push vs twist" functionality of the upper right knob.

I think we'd recommend Option 3.  And for the duration that you have both units in OBS mode, you either turn CrossSync off (we don't recommend that) to get #2 CDI active, or know that it's flagged invalid.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:26pm
Oh and the return of HDG mode to the Nav Source knob is not in the near future.  We had a TON of cert hurdles on that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

Can't quite tell if this is understood from the post but to be clear, you have two options for wiring.   Each 540 has 6 serial ports (5 usable if you have a dual IFD540 installation) which might be enough for most folks to wire an input (e.g. serial weather) into both IFDs.   But for those that don't have enough ports for all their stuff or (understandably) don't want to spend the extra time/expense to add those wires, you can wire the input into one IFD and it is automatically shared with the other IFD across that CrossSync line.   

Both work equally as well.   It's a personal tradeoff for the extra expense vs. the tiny chance that the crosssync wires between the two IFDs fail.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:36pm
Steve - 

Or that ONE OF the IFD's fail (the one that everything is wired into).   That is what worries me most.  And one of the big reasons that I spent the $$$$ to install two of them.  

My shop chose to wire the inputs into box #1 and then let the IFD540's do the sharing.  (I think). 

Ken
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:54pm
Of course.  I just presumed the chances of an IFD failing is less than zero......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

To clarify Lance's comment:

The STEC needs an ARINC 429 input from an IFD to enable GPSS steering.  If you have two IFDs, you need a switch to select the ARINC input from either #1 or #2.  I had this done for my 2 IFD installation and it works perfectly.

On a side note, if you have an Aspen PFD installed and both IFDs already talk to it, you can simply use the Aspen's GPSS and NAV selection to achieve the same result via the STEC HDG mode.  In my basic tests the Aspen GPSS and direct GPSS from the IFDs are equally effective.

Well, I talked to my shop, when we were planning the install, and they didn't want a switch to choose GPSS between #1 and #2.    (Avidyne knows who my shop is,  and they are supposedly on Avidyne's "good guy" list from what I gather.  I don't want to bad mouth them.  They aren't lazy and have a good rep and charge accordingly).  

If what Lance (and TogaDriver) are saying is true, that switching ARINC 429 is normally done and approved etc., then I may need to reopen this design issue with my shop.    Same with wiring XM WX / Storm scope into both boxes.  Now, having said this, the #1 box would have to die totally, or mostly, to not share data.  But...

Avidyne, can you confirm?  

I mostly sprung for the second 540, for the redundancy, and because my #2 nav/com was on it's last legs. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 28 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 5:21pm
When my dual IFDs were installed, the traffic, weather, and lightning boxes were wired directly to both IFDs for the redundancy you mention.  I would revisit the GPSS design with the shop as it isn't forging new ground.  They've been doing #1 / #2 switches for NAV, DME, VOR, GPS, GPSS, etc. for many years and it isn't that complicated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:59am
His point about the GPSS was that it is a binary data format, not a voltage, like switching a VOR.  

I agree that they are two different things.  But, I don't know the proper answers.  

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:17am
GPSS switching is simply a DPDT switch determining which ARINC 429 feed (2 wires) goes to the autopilot.

For ARINC 429:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARINC_429

For GPSS: http://www.avionicswest.net/articles/gpss.htm

Hope this helps.  Switching which IFD sends it's 429 to the autopilot is trivial.

Edited by TogaDriver - 29 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:56pm
In an installation with dual IFD's - a 540 and 440, can the MLB 100 be wired to both units, or will it cause some confusion when/if they are in crosslink mode?
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:10pm
Thanks for the info.  

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:41am
Originally posted by AUXAIR AUXAIR wrote:

In an installation with dual IFD's - a 540 and 440, can the MLB 100 be wired to both units, or will it cause some confusion when/if they are in crosslink mode?

MLB100 can definitely be wired to both without causing any confusion in CrossSync.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:12pm
Any timeline yet for ADS-B Traffic from an MLB100?  I'm waiting to order mine until I see the feature in a release.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:53am
Thanks for that suggestion.  Used the pseudo "Extended Center Line" via the OBS radial on my first flight with my new 540/440 and it worked excellently for an arrival at a strange field.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic