Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 Map+FMS Terrain Ridges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 Map+FMS Terrain Ridges
    Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:26pm
Apparently I am unable to post a photo, but I am noticing 5-10 parallel brown "ridge" like markings on both FMS and MAP displays that do not really correspond to actual terrain.

I am over hilly and mountainous terrain in SW Colorado, but unable to identify these markings on the map...

If I could post a photo taken today, maybe someone will recognize these.
Thanks.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 30 Jul 2015 at 9:16pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:48pm
The link you posted is to the file on your local computer, which won't work.

You'll need to upload the photo to a photo sharing service, make sure it's publicly viewable, and then link to it there.  

There are lots of such places out there; you may even use one already to back up your photos.

If you don't already have something, www.imgur.com is designed specifically to share photos on the 'Net.  You have to create an account (which makes sense...don't want everyone being able to edit everyone's photos), but it's free and very easy to use.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:17pm
Thanks Cobra.

Tried ur suggestion, worked.

Hope someone can identify these ridge markings??

Tom Wolf
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:19pm
Datalink no coverage hatching. Zoom the map out and it should look better.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:23pm
Yes, not as prominent zoomed out, but you are saying this is a "non-coverage area" for the Data Link?  What does that mean?  Which Data Link ? 

Tom

Edited by n7ifr - 30 Jul 2015 at 9:25pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:26pm
Not related to terrain stuff at all. I see you have Regional Weather selected at the Wx Overlay. That is MLB100 ADS-B weather which won't come in unless in range of one of the FAA towers that transmit that data. Forgive me if already known but you can turn that weather layer off if you like via that "Wx Overlay" button in the bottom left.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:09pm
Steve,
Thanks again for on point answer.  
Is this "ridge" area also a "non coverage area" for TIS-B Traffic, or just FIS-B Wx?

Will try experimenting with toggling off/on next flight here out in the boonies.

Tom W.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:40am
n7ifr,
I sometimes get that same no datalink coverage hatching at the beginning of a flight even when it appears I am receiving datalink.  It seems your radar image is only 4 min old so I really don't understand how there can be no coverage.  I get the hatching with a timestamp of 4-5 min also.  Jake did explain the following to me but I really didn't understand it.  It seems he is saying if you see a valid timestamp, you should have Nexrad because there is data for your location.

Nexrad is delivered in a 4x4 grid that covers the country.  If we don’t receive all 16 tiles, we check to see if we’ve received enough of them to put up Nexrad at present position  which essentially boils down to – if you see a valid timestamp (you do), then we’ve received data for your location.  There can be areas within the mosaic that aren’t covered so you can and do get hatching within the US.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:51am
As another data point, I have been experiencing the same no coverage on both my IFDs.  The funny thing is that my second IFD will show no coverage but my first will be displaying NEXRAD just fine.  I have an MLB700 directly connected to both units.  I do experience issues on the first one, but far less frequently.  This began when I installed the first test version of 10.1.0.0, and to be fair, I'm still running a test version so I don't know how applicable my experiences are.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:51am
teeeth6,

In hindsight, my guess is that I picked up the 4-minute timestamp in the area I had been flying through (KDRO) on the way back to home base (KPSO) which is no surprise to be a non-coverage area.

These details of the 540 are great to learn on this Forum - invaluable!!

Tom W.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
I recognize the "no coverage" signature on the display.  I see it frequently, because most of my flights are short.  I don't have much experience with the weather feed yet (the weather around here has been hot-but-clear ever since I finished my installation).  But it seems like when I switch views (regional to national or vice-versa) the unit needs to download the new data all over again.  The no-coverage bars appear for a long time while data is being obtained, or at least so it seems on a local flight.  On a longer flight I'm sure it's less noticeable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic