Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shadin setting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadin setting
    Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:40pm
What is the correct setting for Shadin?
I have channel 2 on Shadin / aviation.
I wasn't getting fuel information on IFD 540.

Edited by AviJake - 09 Aug 2015 at 10:00am
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 8:36am
I have my Shadin MiniFlow-L on Channel 1, with the IFD540 input set to Shadin-Fuel and the Output set to Aviation. There is also an output format setting on the Shadin, and I think it should be set to the Generic or Garmin setting, but I am not sure. Note that not all Shadin fuel flow units have an RS232 output. A call to Shadin will help you determine whether yours does. 

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:51am
I have a JPI and after 10.1 Shadin-Fuel no longer worked. I changed it to Shadin-fadq and seems to be working.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 9:59am
I changed the post title (fixed a typo in it).  But, I agree with other posters - Shadin fuel flow systems are supported.

For reference, here's the list of fuel systems we have certified support for:

Shadin

91053XP and 91053XT-D “Digiflo-L” Digital Fuel Mgmt Systems

Shadin

91204XT(38)D and 91204XT-D “Miniflo-L” Digital Fuel Mgmt Systems

Shadin

91802-() “DigiData” Fuel/Airdata

JPI

EDM-700 Engine Monitor

JPI

EDM-760 Engine Monitor

JPI

FS-450

ARNAV

FC-10

ARNAV

FT-10

EI

FP-5L

Insight

GEM 3

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:59pm
I think the confusion for users and avionics installers alike is that we do not know which settings work with which devices. My avionics guy basically guessed until it worked on basically all compatible avionics. Is there or can there be a document that specifies which setting is for each compatible equipment? Thanks
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:27pm
Yes, I agree that's a problem.    We've been reluctant to publish such a document since it's the set up on the other vendor (e.g. Shadin) box which is supposed to be covered in their documentation that's the missing piece.   Our IM describes how to set up the IFD but we're silent on the other vendor gear.  The general rule is you set up the other gear exactly as you would if it were talking to a Garmin 530 or 430.

We can't/won't publish those settings in our IM (IM is FAA approved data and we can't officially speak for other vendor equipment that is covered by its own IM) but I think we might be able to put together a suggested/recommended settings document that we post on our website and can update it whenever we need to without getting non-Avidyne approval.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:51pm
Add the JPI EDM830 - perfectly synched with 540.

Tom W.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 8:33pm
My JPI EDM 930 worked perfectly with the GNS530W and works perfectly with the IFD540.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I think we might be able to put together a suggested/recommended settings document that we post on our website and can update it whenever we need to without getting non-Avidyne approval.

I think a Service Information Letter (SIL) would be an appropriate format for delivering information such as that. An SIL does not need to be approved data.

sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:20pm
so now, I do see fuelflow on th 540, but only the fuel flow. The other calculations are blank, fuel remaining etc
drapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I changed the post title (fixed a typo in it).  But, I agree with other posters - Shadin fuel flow systems are supported.

For reference, here's the list of fuel systems we have certified support for:

Shadin

91053XP and 91053XT-D “Digiflo-L” Digital Fuel Mgmt Systems

Shadin

91204XT(38)D and 91204XT-D “Miniflo-L” Digital Fuel Mgmt Systems

Shadin

91802-() “DigiData” Fuel/Airdata

JPI

EDM-700 Engine Monitor

JPI

EDM-760 Engine Monitor

JPI

FS-450

ARNAV

FC-10

ARNAV

FT-10

EI

FP-5L

Insight

GEM 3

AviJake, your list of supported systems includes Insight's Gem3. Am I wrong to guess that it is their G3 system with their fuel flow sensor? And would their G2 model with their fuel flow sensor be an approved model also?

scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 7:22pm

I am having an issue with my Shadin/540 communication. I am able to see Shadin on the 540 (FF, nm/gal, etc) but I am no longer able to see GPS derived information on the Shadin (fuel at destination, nm/gal, etc). This function stopped after I updated the NAV and OBS data during the last cycle. I get an error code on the Shadin of “LS3” which according to Shadin means it is receiving a message but cannot find a valid position source. I checked the configuration on the 540 and here is what I have:

The Shadin tech said there is a very small possibility the RS-232 chip in the Shadin has gone bad but that seems unlikely. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 9:17pm
My CHNL 1 is set for fuel (JPI830), and it uses the same data format. FWIW ...

Input is Shadin-fadc
Output is Aviation

But, your settings would not have changed with a data update.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic