Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540/440 Uploads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540/440 Uploads
    Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:00pm
After reading the IFD 540 pilots guide it states that you can upload checklist and stored routes when referring to maintenance functions. Yet it does not say how this can be done. Has anyone been able to upload routes to the 540?
Wayne T.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:35pm
I'm not aware of an external checklist or flight plan editor, so the transfer could only be from one unit to another.

From the maintenance menu (with 10.1) you can select various user settings and parameters for download to a USB key. You'd then insert the key into another a unit, and upload. Not that useful, except for post-maintenance if you need a swapout, or if you need to return your unit to factory settings, and restart.

I expect that the flight plan uploads, that will be useful, will come with software packages that get Tier 2 upload/download approval, using WiFi.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Aug 2015 at 11:37pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:59am
If you download the latest PC app for 540 simulation, you should get three icons on your desktop - 540, 440, Mx apps.    Run the 540 and create your checklist (and this is easier than on the IFD because you have phyiscal PC keyboard which makes it much easier/faster).  Then run the Mx app to Save the checklist.    That will create a .dsf file and load it on your USB fob for use anytime you want on the actual IFD.   The same is true for user waypoints and stored routes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:46am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

If you download the latest PC app for 540 simulation, you should get three icons on your desktop - 540, 440, Mx apps.    Run the 540 and create your checklist (and this is easier than on the IFD because you have phyiscal PC keyboard which makes it much easier/faster).  Then run the Mx app to Save the checklist.    That will create a .dsf file and load it on your USB fob for use anytime you want on the actual IFD.   The same is true for user waypoints and stored routes.

Very nice, was this posted somewhere else other than the sim page and I just missed it?

Edited by brou0040 - 16 Aug 2015 at 11:46am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:48am
Probably not - got lost in the weeds.  We made it in the run up to Oshkosh.

I'll make a new thread about it now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 2:46am
While you're at it, it would be useful to know which files are associated with which downloads. Could you create a list of these?

Page 6-35 of the PG 600-00300-001 lists 7 types of logs (System, Flight, Engine, Event, Voltage, GPS, Configuration). The engine log is for fuel flow so would only appear if configured. The photo on page 6-36 only shows 5 incl engine log, with the GPS and config logs missing. I assume that this is because the photo is from a pre-10.1 software (hint: manual update needed here).

I have an RMA coming up, and backed up all possible files to a usb in preparation. I made the mistake of checkmarking all the logs and backing them all up to a single usb, along with the checklists, settings, waypoints, and routes. Now I'm having some trouble separating the configuration log from the settings and waypoints. Most of the logs are obvious. There are 5 csv files with names corresponding to the log types: ENGINE, EVENTS, FLIGHT, GPS, SYSTEM, VOLTS. The Configuration log is not identified as such. There is a file called SYSCFG.TXT, but it only contains 4 parameters (Fuel type (AVGas), GPS Select (Auto), Airframe (Fixed-Wing), External TAWS (no).

There are many txt files which appear to be related to config since they have names like AIRCFT, BLOCK0, BLOCK1, ... BLOCK4, CHARTS, CNSAUD, COMSET, DIMSET, DISP0, DISP1, ... DISP4, FMSS0, FMSS1, ... FMSS4, FRQLST, GDLSET, ...
Some of these look like set up settings from maintenance mode, but the values appear strange. For example, the XPDR.TXT file doesn't have any information that corresponds to my aircraft or transponder connection (AXP340). In the AIRCFT.TXT file, the aircraft call sign is incorrect (one digit wrong ... incorrect factory setting or installer mistake?).

I don't have any checklists or routes defined yet since this is a recent 10.1 installation, but I do have waypoints defined and can't find them in the downloaded TXT files, so would be interested to know the name of that file. There is no DSF file on the download.

There are several exec files with date stamp: BK150801.000 - BK150801.004. Are these perhaps the config logs or separate debugging info not listed in the PG?

Edited by chflyer - 17 Aug 2015 at 2:50am
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:24am
Update:
Installing the PC sim creates 3 apps: IFD540, IFD440, Maintenance Mode. The latter is likely what Steven means by MX mode.

Using the Maint mode sim app, and saving things one at a time to a usb stick, I get the following rather than .dsf files:
- download settings generates a file BKyymmdd.001
- download waypoints generates a file BKyymmdd.002
- download routes generates a file BKyymmdd.003
These all seem to be an an Avidyne proprietary format. Part of the data is legible text, but the files are not in text format. For example, references to routes 000 to 099 can be seen but the data is not legible with a text editor.

If the usb stick is connected when the Maint mode sim is started, it will recognize these files and present settings, waypoints, and routes for restore in the selection list.

I assume this works the same on the real device and it would also recognize these files since the names are the same as in my post above.

Still not sure of the origin of all the TXT files.

Edited by chflyer - 17 Aug 2015 at 9:37am
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
I've also noted that the 3 sim apps share the route and waypoint configs. That is, I can delete the routes and waypoints in the IFD540 sim and then restore them from usb stick using the maint mode sim. They appear again in the IFD540 sim following restart.

This means that if one wants to add routes or waypoints at home using the pc sim as described by Steve above, it is necessary to take a backup to usb from the real box in the aircraft and restore from that usb to the sim via maint mode. The new routes/waypoints can be added using the IFDxxx sim, the revised list downloaded back to usb via maint mode and then restored to the real IFDxxx again from the new list on the usb.
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm
Vince,

Not sure I see the logic in this.  
Are you saying that to make actual ".dsf" files to move onto the real 540, one must first create these on the real 540, save onto the usb, restore to PC Sim...

and then after modifications on the PC are done,  reverse the process?

Tom Wolf
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:14pm
Update from PC Sim --> 540 radio updates.  It Works!!  Thank you Avidyne.

This is probably how Vince was saying...
Here's how I accomplished the update from the PC Sim -6 steps.

1.  After revising PC Sim files to your liking, using MXApp, SAVE newly revised files (only 3) to USB - Checklists + Waypoints + Routes - (Will not save Settings or Database files):  Note specific file numbers for later.

2.  Independently, SAVE From "540" (radio) to USB the original pre-modified files - Checklist, Waypoints, Routes: Note specific file numbers.

3.  Restore these original "540" 3 files from step #1 from USB-->PC Sim. I believe this formats the files going back into the PC Sim.

4.  Now Restore the previously Saved & revised 3 files (exact file numbers) from the USB back into the PC Sim.   I believe this reformats the modified Sim files to the "540" format for the final step.

5.  Now again Save these (newly formatted) PC Sim files back to the USB and note the new file numbers on the USB.

6.  Final step: Restore these exact 3 files (revised and re-formatted) back into the "540" - Done.

Subsequent revisions from the PC Sim-->540 may not require all steps as now both "540" and SIM already have same file format.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 20 Aug 2015 at 11:11pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 5:16pm
Kind of complicated!

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:46pm
Way too complicated. Not really a process.

Kludgy, needs redesign.
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 9:00pm
Tom,

Are you saying that you can't simply save the files from the PC maintenance mode to the USB then restore the files to the real 540 from that USB?  That is the process that I'm assuming I can use.

The only additional step involved would be if you want your baseline to be the current data you already have in the 540 at which point you'd do a one time transfer from the 540 to the sim so you have that starting point in the sim.

Am I missing something?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Tom,

Are you saying that you can't simply save the files from the PC maintenance mode to the USB then restore the files to the real 540 from that USB?  That is the process that I'm assuming I can use.

Am I missing something?

These 6-steps were necessary to accomplish the initial PC-->540 Radio transfer of revised files - very clunky, but effective.

I hope that (now that the initial formatting of PC-files is done) going forward it will only require Steps 1 & 6.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 20 Aug 2015 at 11:12pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 12:20am
Interesting, if I understand correctly, you need to transfer the files from the 540 to the PC in order for the SIM to USB to provide the proper format.  If that is so, it would be appreciated if somebody was able to provide template files from their 540 for download such that we can load those files into the sim and skip steps 1-3 in the near term and hopefully Avidyne can modify the sim to prevent this for the long term.

I was hoping to test this feature (upload waypoints and flight plans) when I retrieve my airplane from CO, I won't have a chance to transfer files back and forth ahead of time.

Edited by brou0040 - 21 Aug 2015 at 12:25am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 2:29am
The key is to think of the usb file as a backup (it IS called BKyymmdd.00x), either a backup of the real IFD540 or of the PC Sim. As such, the restore from usb always replaces (i.e. overwrites) the existing config. As long as the real IFD540 and PC Sim configs are the same, updates can be made to the PC Sim version, backed up to usb, and then restored to the IFD540. Simple and straightforward. Just use the Maintenance Mode pc pgm to restore and backup the files to/from the sim and then the 540/440 sim pgm to actually modify the lists.

My initial post was for the situation where the current list (e.g. of waypoints) is in the IFD540 and the PC Sim is either different or empty. If new waypoints are added to the PC Sim without first copying the IFD540 list over to the PC Sim, then the PC Sim backup with the new waypoints will be missing the IFD540 waypoints and will replace/remove all the existing waypoints in the IFD540 when restored.

BTW, the only .dsf files I've seen are the navdata files. The backup files on usb are:
Checklists: BKyymmdd.000
Waypoints: BKyymmdd.002
Routes: BKyymmdd.003
As far as I've been able to determine, the extensions are consistent per this list (e.g. a routes backup file will always end in .003).

Edited by chflyer - 21 Aug 2015 at 3:22am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:32am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

The key is to think of the usb file as a backup (it IS called BKyymmdd.00x), either a backup of the real IFD540 or of the PC Sim

So, if you don't care about the current settings and waypoints in the SIM, then you can just run the backup from the 540 in maintenance mode, and then take those files and restore them to the SIM, overwriting the SIM setup, and creating an identical setup on the 540 and in the SIM?

* orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Aug 2015 at 7:33am
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 8:30am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Update from PC Sim --> 540 radio updates.  It Works!!  Thank you Avidyne.

This is probably how Vince was saying...
Here's how I accomplished the update from the PC Sim -6 steps.

1.  After revising PC Sim files to your liking, using MXApp, SAVE newly revised files (only 3) to USB - Checklists + Waypoints + Routes - (Will not save Settings or Database files):  Note specific file numbers for later.

2.  Independently, SAVE From "540" (radio) to USB the original pre-modified files - Checklist, Waypoints, Routes: Note specific file numbers.

3.  Restore these original "540" 3 files from step #1 from USB-->PC Sim. I believe this formats the files going back into the PC Sim.

4.  Now Restore the previously Saved & revised 3 files (exact file numbers) from the USB back into the PC Sim.   I believe this reformats the modified Sim files to the "540" format for the final step.

5.  Now again Save these (newly formatted) PC Sim files back to the USB and note the new file numbers on the USB.

6.  Final step: Restore these exact 3 files (revised and re-formatted) back into the "540" - Done.

Subsequent revisions from the PC Sim-->540 may not require all steps as now both "540" and SIM already have same file format.

Tom, I don't understand the difference between step 3 and step 4.  Are you doing the same thing twice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 8:34am

I am planning to try this tonight after work.

I created some checklists on my PC and saved them to the USB stick.  (I did not follow the six-step program, but I have used this USB stick to backup my files in the past and I saved those files on my PC but not in the simulator program.)  I don't have any checklists in the 540 yet, so I am not concerned about losing any data.

I'll post back here with my experience, but it might be Monday before I get the chance to respond.

David Bunin

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:14am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

The key is to think of the usb file as a backup (it IS called BKyymmdd.00x), either a backup of the real IFD540 or of the PC Sim

So, if you don't care about the current settings and waypoints in the SIM, then you can just run the backup from the 540 in maintenance mode, and then take those files and restore them to the SIM, overwriting the SIM setup, and creating an identical setup on the 540 and in the SIM?

* orest

Yes for the checklists, waypoints, and routes.

I haven't been able to restore the settings backed up from IFD540 to the sim. The backup is recognized and listed as a restore option on the sim (maintenance mode) but gives an error when I try to restore.

Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:22am
You can't update the sim nav database either.  I was hoping that would be doable, but it's not a big deal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:46pm

The backup files on usb are:
Checklists: BKyymmdd.000
Waypoints: BKyymmdd.002
Routes: BKyymmdd.003
As far as I've been able to determine, the extensions are consistent per this list (e.g. a routes backup file will always end in .003).

My stick also has a .001 file and a .011 file from the airplane.  Not sure what those are, but I have them.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:51pm

I'm just home from the hangar.  The simple method did not work.

I made checklists in the PC simulator and saved them to the USB stick and "restored" them in the IFD from the stick.  Initially, it looked like it worked.  The file loaded and it said 'no errors' but when I went to the checklists tab there were no checklists.

Looks like I'll have to try the complicated version.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 6:29pm

I'm totally lost.  I can't tell which files are "these" and which files are "original" and which files are "saved" and which are "restored".

I have files from the airplane from July 17th. Let's call these the "7-17" files.  I have files from the PC from August 18th.  Let's call these the "8-18" files.

I restored the PC from the 8-18 file and now my checklists are gone from the PC.

I made a new checklist called "Test" with two steps, One and Two.  Now that checklists appears in the PC Sim even if I restore from the USB stick.

Wait, now it's all gone again. I'm lost.  Nothing works.  Help.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:17pm
This initial process is not for the computer 'faint of heart', but here's what works.  I believe the 6-steps are required for first time, hopefully only 2- steps after that.

The tricky part is to keep the file iteration numbers straight with exact iterations of the 3-files you "save", "restore", "save", "restore" from "540" to USB to PC-SIM to "540".  

Step 2 produced first iteration files from my "540" on my USB: BK150820.000, BK150820.010, BK150820.030 which represent the original "540" Routes, Waypoints, and Flight plans - (not necessarily in that order).

The important point to write or note is the last "0" which identifies the iteration "540" pre revised files.  In step-3, restore these same "0" files back to your PC Sim.

In step-4, restore your PC-SIM previously revised files (these now ended in "1") back to the PC-SIM.

In step-5, after you SAVE from PCSIM back to USB, the newly formatted files on the USB are now marked "2".  These are the ones you want to work with. 

In Step-6, RESTORE from USB to "540" those new "2" files.  

For the fun of it, when I finally saw the revised files successfully on the "540", I Saved them back to USB where they were now assigned "3".

So.... keep track of which file series you are progressing with as you go through the steps.  I am hopeful subsequent revisions will not require more than 2-steps, but you still have to keep track of which files you have modified on the PC-SIM when you pick which files to RESTORE onto the "540".

One thing that helped me keep these straight was to initially delete all files from the USB.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wolf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 8:20pm

Well, I don't think I'm faint of heart when it comes to computers, but I am definitely missing something here.  Now we're starting with step #2?

Tom, my phone number is 972-974-5895.  Please call me if you can.

Secondary question: should I be running the FMS simulator and the maintenance mode programs at the same time or not?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 8:55pm

Okay, I've learned something.  The last digit in the file extension is the file type (0=checklist).  The second-to-last digit in the file type is the iteration, starting with 0 and counting up.  But it is Zulu-date based and until just now, I had never created more than one file on the same "date".  (Earlier today it was the 21st, now it is the 22nd in Zulu time.)

So my checklists have all been ".000" file types.  That explains the ".011" file in my list.  It was a second iteration of a ".001" file saved on that date.

I'm now up to the point where I can ruin and restore a good set of checklists on the simulator at will.  My good file happens to be the second iteration ".010" version.

Now that I have a file that consistently restores the simulator to the checklists I want, I'm ready to go try it again in the airplane.

By the way, this time I was careful NOT to be running the simulator and the maintenance mode programs at the same time and I was careful to let the maintenance mode "reboot" and close fully each time I switched.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 12:16am
Tonight I made some additions/revisions on the PC-Sim.
1. I deleted all files on the USB except the original set Saved from my "540" two days ago (8/20/15).
2. Saved today's revised PC-Sim files (8/22) to USB.
3. Restored original "540" files (from 8/20) from USB to PC-Sim, & 
4. Restored 8/22 revisions from today over this.
5. Saved these to USB
6. Will Restore tomorrow in Plane to "540". 

p.s.  I always bring my Mac to plane to save trips.

Tom Wolf
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 12:57am
Thanks David for the insight on file iterations on the same (zulu) date. I have never done multiple backups to the same usb on the same date so haven't seen the 011 extension. I suspect that you wouldn't encounter this if you never have more than one backup on a given usb stick. I doubt that the IFD540 or PC sim (maint mode) would "remember" that it needs to increment. It likely just increments to avoid overwriting an existing "0" file on the usb with the current date.

When I save settings from the pc sim to an empty usb, 2 files are created: BKyymmdd.001 and BKyymmdd (no extension).

Regarding Tom's (n7ifr) notes about file names, this is different from what I am seeing. What software version do you have? I have 10.1 on the 540 and the latest sim. The reason for the question is that I am seeing what David is seeing. That is, 000 is checklists, 002 is waypoints, and 003 is routes and this is repeatable for me. Files with an extension ending in 0 that I've created have always been for checklists.

Edited by chflyer - 22 Aug 2015 at 1:00am
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 1:30pm
Good News!!

Went to plane with PC (Mac), and USB. 
With New (revised) waypoint on the PC-Sim, 

1.   Saved to USB from PC-Sim
2.   Restored USB to "540"

Perfect, no extra steps.  My theory is once the PC-SIM has had "540" format files restored back to PC-SIM, the SIM continues to generate new (revised) files in the proper "540" format.

BTW, you are correct on the extensions being specific to file type: 000 checklist, 002 waypoints, 003 routes.  The Iteration # displays on the PC-SIM and "540" - Waypoints 15-08-22-01 being the most recent revision to be restored back on to the "540" - see attachments below.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 22 Aug 2015 at 1:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 3:40pm

Success!

I'm still not exactly sure what I did wrong before or what I did right this time, but I have the checklists from my PC SIM at home in the actual IFD in the plane.

If you have software version 10.1, here are the file types:

000 is the first user checklist file saved each Zulu date
001 is the first user settings file saved each Zulu date
002 is the first user waypoints file saved each Zulu date
003 is the first user routes file saved each Zulu date

Each time another save is made in the same date, the middle digit will increment. In my case, I changed one of my settings (I think I named myself from "user1" to "Bunin") and the saved the settings again.  So I had a .001 file and a .011 file on the USB.  Note: For extra bonus-confusion, this appears on the IFD screen as version -00 and -01 each time.  I'm sure the next would be -02.

If you wait until at least the next Zulu date to save the same file type, it won't change the middle digit from 0 to 1 because the actual file name is date-based, so there is no conflict or duplication.

David Bunin

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:47pm
I was able to upload routes and waypoints to the 540 from the PC with none of the weird steps above.  I did have one issue, but that was probably my fault.  I have 2 waypoints going through a pass, an east one and a west one, they were reversed so the routes with them zig-zag'd, but I assume the only way that could have happened is that I named them wrong.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 10:16am
I was able to upload both charting updates and checklists to the 540 and to the 440 by just following the on-screen prompts after inserting the fobs and re-starting the units.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:15pm

Yes for the checklists, waypoints, and routes.

I haven't been able to restore the settings backed up from IFD540 to the sim. The backup is recognized and listed as a restore option on the sim (maintenance mode) but gives an error when I try to restore.

I'm the same, I've been able to save/restore waypoints, routes, and checklists, but I cannot restore settings from the 540 to the sim.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:49pm
I think the Settings do not transfer back & forth - just Wpts, Routes, and Chk lists.

Tom Wolf
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 11:19pm

I think the Settings do not transfer back & forth - just Wpts, Routes, and Chk lists.

Tom Wolf

Ah, now I see that from Avijakes other post, thanks.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:23am

Tom Wolf

Yes, they transfer back and forth. Everything including user settings, waypoints, routes and checklists.

We just posted a video of how to go from the PC simulator to IFD. It's a similar process to go from IFD to PC if that was a question.

Here's the link to the video https://youtu.be/Jsr45wX0buo.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:00pm
So the transfer of SETTINGS (vice routes etc.), is one way only?

I have been unable to transfer my IFD540 settings to the simulator.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:54pm

* Orest

ditto
zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:28pm
If I create customized User Options on the Sim for User 2 and my partner has customized settings in the plane for user 1, when I Restore the settings in the plane with the USB drive, will the User 1 default from the sim overwrite his customized settings?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:30pm

* Orest

Its a two way communication. 

The IFD540 is running 10.1 at this point, correct?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by zman520 zman520 wrote:

If I create customized User Options on the Sim for User 2 and my partner has customized settings in the plane for user 1, when I Restore the settings in the plane with the USB drive, will the User 1 default from the sim overwrite his customized settings?

It will transfer what ever settings were on the sim as USER1. 

You can title the USER ID's as well. So USER2 could become ZMAN520 and USER1 becomes PARTNER, to help keep the two straight.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

* Orest

Its a two way communication, meaning you can transfer the data from the IFD or to the IFD.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

* Orest

Its a two way communication. 

IFD540 is 10.1, so is the sim.

Trying to restore settings to the sim (from the file created by the IFD540) results in ERROR, and all the settings revert to factory default.

So a negative on the two way, at least for the SETTINGS.

* Orest

zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 8:29pm
So I would need to copy the settings from the 440, restore them in the simulator, modify the user 2 settings, save them, then restore the settings on the 440. That way I don't change his settings.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by zman520 zman520 wrote:

So I would need to copy the settings from the 440, restore them in the simulator, modify the user 2 settings, save them, then restore the settings on the 440. That way I don't change his settings.

Just one caution, I haven't seen anyone report success with restoring user settings (vice waypoints etc.) to the sim.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic