Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GTX330ES ADS-B STC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GTX330ES ADS-B STC
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:54pm
Hi Folks,

I know this topic has been beaten to death (and apologize if I missed any recent posts about it) but my dealer just mentioned that he heard there is a possible STC for ADS-B out with the Garmin GTX-330ES coming out next spring.  I spoke with Simpson at SnF last year and it wasn't then in the works but my dealer, in talking with Avidyne sales last week, said it was mentioned to him.

Does anyone know of this?  I already have the IFD-540 and plan next month to install an AXP-340 but hate the idea of losing TIS-B traffic.   I know the MLB100 will give me that but don't want to spend another $2+ AMUs to get back what I already have...
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:01pm
Just to clarify:  The MLB-100 will give you traffic at some point in the futue.

Edited by pburger - 01 Sep 2015 at 5:01pm
Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:43pm
Yes, I knew that, but thanks.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:19am

Originally posted by Airotto370 Airotto370 wrote:

plan next month to install an AXP-340 but hate the idea of losing TIS-B traffic.

The GTX330ES only does ADS-B Out, it has no ASD-B In functions.  It already doesn't process TIS-B data, so how are you losing that by replacing it with an AXP-340?

Or are you thinking of the TIS (sometimes called TIS-A)?

Any STC for using an IFD-540 as an ADS-B position source for a GTX330ES would have to come from the ADS-B manufacturer (Garmin).  In other words, the IFD would have to be listed as a valid position source in the STC for installing the GTX.  Not the STC for installing the IFD.

David Bunin

Airotto370 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airotto370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 11:09am
Sorry, I had ADS-B on the brain and wrote TIS-B, I meant that I see TIS traffic on the 540 from the GTX330.  Lost the tails on the traffic the GNS530W displayed when I installed the 540 but otherwise is very useful, particularly flying in the NY metro area.

Interesting on the STC, and purely my ignorance, but I thought the position data to the ADS-B out device was what needed to be certified, ergo my thinking that Avidyne needed to spend the $$ to do it.

Regardless, it doesn't seem like anyone has heard the rumor of an STC being created.

bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 2:41pm

Any updates on this? I'm majorly bummed right now. I just bought an Archer that has a 530W and a GTX330, and I thought I'd be able to 1) upgrade the 530W to an IFD540 and 2) upgrade the 330 to 330ES and save some major $$.

I called Sarasota Avionics to arrange for the upgrade, and then I was called back and told that the 330ES isn't approved with the IFD540. Since I had to commit to the 530W->540 upgrade by yesterday (because of a major $$ incentive to do so), I went ahead and signed up for it.

I postponed the 330 upgrade to the ES for now, in the hopes that it will eventually get approved. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to spend even MORE money to get a whole different transponder.

I really hate Garmin for not playing nice with others....

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 3:10pm
Check with Avidyne sales at the 1-800 number. I think they have (had?) some sort of trade-up provision in place for "transponder" situations like yours. Remember also that the 330 will have a trade-in value, if all else fails.

And, the big step up to the 540 will make you forget most of your troubles! It is truly a joy.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Dec 2015 at 3:19pm
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 4:29pm
I was faced with the same set of circumstances last year when upgrading to the IFD and trying to comply with the ADSB mandate. I did not want to lose TIS-A. The solution I came up with was to get Freeflight which is a standalone adsb solution. You can keep your TIS-A that way. Although be advised there is a big with the IFD and TIS-A. It will not show "Traffic not Avail" when outside TIS-A service areas. You will find if you have foreflight and get the adsb out solution that you will start relying on your iPad for traffic info as it will have all the surrounding traffic.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:16pm
I also had the Garmin transponder when I moved up to the 540s and elected to go with the Avidyne transponder for just the reason you mentioned.  I believe TIS-A is slowly on the way out and the Freeflight device doesn't allow you to know when you are out of coverage so you really don't know if there is no traffic  or you are just not receiving it.  My plan is to install the MLB 100 when 10.1.1 comes out so I will have ADS-B traffic on the 540s.  BTW, I had no trouble selling my Garmin transponder.
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:20pm
Just for clarification, it's the IFD that doesn't let you know when you are out of TisA service areas (Freeflight has nothing to do with TIS-A)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic