Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 Manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 Manual?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:11pm

Did I misunderstand that there was going to be a new manual for the IFD540 in connection with 10.1?  If there was, I didn't get one (or two in my case).

Are there instructions somewhere on how to utilize the new MLB100 functionality that I will be picking up in a few days?

Thanks.

David Gates
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Did I misunderstand that there was going to be a new manual for the IFD540 in connection with 10.1?  If there was, I didn't get one (or two in my case).

Neither have I

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:00pm
+1

Vince
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:30pm
I got mine about a week ago.  I'd held off on registering my unit (which if I recall correctly is the trigger for the shipment of the manual) until after 10.1 was released.  In fact, I didn't register mine until after the 10.1 update was completed which was a few weeks after its release.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
You can always download the latest Pilot Guide electronically at:  http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

I'm planning on uploading a new rev for the IFD540 and IFD440 in the next week or so and will make a new post when they're up.

These books cost us a ton of $ to produce - about $150 each.   As a result, we're moving to:

1.  Always free access to the latest electronic version in full color.
2.  Hard copy black and white copy sent with each new IFD shipping box.
3.  Available hard copy black and white books for a $ charge that can be ordered at any time after the initial shipment.

Our tricky part to deal with is anyone who already has a box and has not yet registered or those who have registered but have not received a book yet.    Some folks will be fine with an electronic copy only, some are fine with their existing hard copy and some will be expecting/wanting a current hard copy.

I recommend those who don't have a book but think they deserve/want one to call Avidyne Sales and see what can be done. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:53pm
Just reporting, after registering my IFD540 about 3-weeks ago (post v10.1) on the Avidyne site, I received my hard copy manual today!  It is current (v10.1) but "Black & White" - the downloadable PDF is in full color.

Thank you.

Tom Wolf 
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 11:58am

Quote These books cost us a ton of $ to produce - about $150 each. 

So you should sell them for $175 each.  There's nothing that says you have to give them away, or even lose money on them.

I'm glad I received a full-color copy when I did.  The pdf file is hard to keep in the airplane.  I don't mind a black and white manual for a Course Deviation Indicator or even a plain old nav/com radio, but for a product that has a color display and uses color as an indication technique, a color publication is highly desirable.  Possibly enough-so to earn a profit.

David Bunin

Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Quote These books cost us a ton of $ to produce - about $150 each. 

So you should sell them for $175 each.  There's nothing that says you have to give them away, or even lose money on them.

I'm glad I received a full-color copy when I did.  The pdf file is hard to keep in the airplane.  I don't mind a black and white manual for a Course Deviation Indicator or even a plain old nav/com radio, but for a product that has a color display and uses color as an indication technique, a color publication is highly desirable.  Possibly enough-so to earn a profit.

David Bunin

+1 on the highly desirable color
whiskyriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskyriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 11:35am
I too have been unable to get my first IFD 540 manual.  My unit was a advanced purchase and was registered in April 2015 and I was waiting until the new 10.1 software update to request a new manual since I never received the first manual at registration.  I was told to contact Avidyne sales to get them to send my first manual but so far no luck.  It has been at least 4 weeks since my second contact with sales and no manual yet.  Is there any other method one should take?
CW
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 11:46am
I don't know but I'm checking.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 12:15pm
Yes,
When you "register" your Avidyne radios on the Welcome to My Avidyne website, that initiated putting me in the queue  for the manual.  It took about a month to actually receive the manual after "registration" of the IFD540.

Tom Wolf
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by whiskyriver whiskyriver wrote:

I too have been unable to get my first IFD 540 manual.  My unit was a advanced purchase and was registered in April 2015 and I was waiting until the new 10.1 software update to request a new manual since I never received the first manual at registration.  I was told to contact Avidyne sales to get them to send my first manual but so far no luck.  It has been at least 4 weeks since my second contact with sales and no manual yet.  Is there any other method one should take?

I finally called last week. Sales stated that I'd registered in the spring (don't remember the date) He too, was puzzled why none was sent. We confirmed the correct mailing and contact information, and said someone would confirm the order.  Like I said that was last week. Still no word from Avidyne.

Get this, I've contacted  three shops to upgrade to 10.1 two of these shops what me to pay for the upgrade and reimburse me when they get reimbursed.  The other hasn't called me back.  I'm not to happy with this jump to the future.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

I finally called last week. Sales stated that I'd registered in the spring (don't remember the date) He too, was puzzled why none was sent. We confirmed the correct mailing and contact information, and said someone would confirm the order.  Like I said that was last week. Still no word from Avidyne.

Get this, I've contacted  three shops to upgrade to 10.1 two of these shops what me to pay for the upgrade and reimburse me when they get reimbursed.  The other hasn't called me back.  I'm not to happy with this jump to the future.

PM sent
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
whiskyriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskyriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 1:39pm
As a follow-up to my previous post, I contacted Avidyne Sales and spoke to a sales rep on Wednesday the 16th and relayed my problems on getting my first Pilots Guide Manual. Received my new 10.1 manual  the next day.  Thank You
CW
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 1:53pm
Mine has just arrived. Disappointed in the lack of color. However it meets the regulations of having one in the aircraft.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

Mine has just arrived. Disappointed in the lack of color. However it meets the regulations of having one in the aircraft.

Just to be technically correct, you are not required to have the pilot guide in the aircraft, only the approved flight manual supplement.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:03am
If you fly with a tablet device onboard, then having the material in electronic format probably meets the regulation.  And it can be in color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic