Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MLB100 approval

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot61f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB100 approval
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:30pm
My new MLB100 did not come with any STC paperwork. I understand it is approved under an STC and that NavWorx is the actual manufacturer of the MLB100. Who holds the STC? Avidyne or NavWorx and where can I get it? Also which antenna are most using? I know the RAMI AV-22 is listed as an acceptable UAT antenna but the specs on it state it is for 1030 - 1090MHz and the MLB100 is 978MHz. Are there any PIREPS on this antenna?
Thanks.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:59am

Your data package should come from Avidyne.  I know that in some cases they were incorrectly referring customers directly to NavWorx, because NavWorx owns the STC, but the data package for the customer should come from/through the company selling the product.   (In other words, while the approved data is the same, the data package for installation instruction is slightly different.)

Any L-band antenna will work.  The RAMI AV-22 should be a rod-style antenna.  I use a fin-style antenna on my airplane (I reused an existing DME antenna).  Yes, there are antennas that are optimized for 978MHz specifically, but in a practical sense anything from 900MHz to 1100MHz is going to work well enough that you'll never know the difference.  The scientists and engineers might care about the difference, but the pilot won't.

David Bunin

Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:39pm
I have a newly installed 540, MLB-100, and a APX340 transponder. the WX option seems to be working ok and the system is operational. The aviation shop that has installed the system states that Avidyne had gotten the approval to display ADS-B traffic but they cannot "Turn it on " on the 540 yet tell they get some kind other approval. What is the real story here ? When is Avidyne going to make the MLB-100 fully operational ? Or is the avionics shop telling me a fairytale ?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:21pm
The traffic portion is approved. Send me a PM with what shop you are using for the installation. We had sent out a notification to dealers a week or so ago, maybe it missed their inbox.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:08pm
Well here we are yet again, its been almost another month and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO EXPIDITE GETTING A WORKING MLB-100 on my aircraft.  I am now getting run arounds from both the avionics shop and AVIDYNE as to the real status of if the MLB100 will work in my aircraft. Just for the recode it is a Lake Amphibian LA-250.  I am sorrily disappointed in the fact that I was made promises and still can't get things worked out.  I am starting to question my decision on Avidyne for my upgraded panel.  By the time you get things working correctly or even approved the MLB-100 will be obsolete.

A disapointed consumer.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:38pm

Why would it not work in your LA-250? It works in my Cessna 172. The box shouldn't care about the aircraft type.

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Why would it not work in your LA-250? It works in my Cessna 172. The box shouldn't care about the aircraft type.

I'm going to guess the NavWorx AML doesn't have the Lake on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm

Shouldn't matter.  The FAA has a well-published policy for offering field approval for installations of ADS-B products in off-AML aircraft.  The only thing required is the courage of the avionics shop to show an ignorant local inspector his own policy from headquarters.  If the local inspector is not ignorant, then the shop only needs the courage to contact their inspector.

*The FAA policy has several limitations for approval, but the NavWorx product meets and surpasses all of the requirements.

scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:50am
The AML for the MLB100 is very limited. I am told more models are on someone's desk at the FAA but who knows when that will happen. Has anyone had any success with a field approval of a MLB100 on a non AML aircraft? Is there really such a FAA policy to allow this? Where can that be referenced?
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:12pm
UPDATE. I talked to Bethany at NavWorx and she is going to add my aircraft to the AML. Apparently the process takes 3-6 weeks. If you need the same thing I suggest sending her the TCDS for your aircraft and make the same request.
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:45pm
Finally got the avionics shops to get the field approval and paperwork worked out. For the LA250. Still waiting for the A/C to get finished.  This whole process has been nothing but a joke.  SO DISAPPOINTED IN AVIDYNE & AVIONICS SHOP, ( CUSTOM AVIONICS of Bartow, FL)   Have to say right not will not recommend to fellow aviators. NO ONE HAS STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE AND WANTED TO GET THIS RESOLVED FOR ME. 
IT ONLY GONG TO BE 10 MONTHS SINCE I LAYED OUT THE CASH FOR THIS THING.... 
Avidyne yet to say there sorry or what can we do ....... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:40am

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Has anyone had any success with a field approval of a MLB100 on a non AML aircraft? Is there really such a FAA policy to allow this? Where can that be referenced?

Yes.

Pages 55-56 of this link:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs300/media/Major_Repair_Alteration_Job-Aid.pdf

That's the FAA's own internal guidance to their Inspectors.  If the Inspectors aren't aware of it, then they're not doing their jobs.  (Not my job, but I found it after less than one minute of googling.)

David Bunin

Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:28am

David,  This document and pages mentioned, discuss ADSB OUT.  Does this also apply to ADSB IN devices like the MLB100?  

Gary-T

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 4:15pm

The approved data (the STC) for the installation of the MLB100 covers both ADS-B Out and ADS-B In devices. So yes.

Technically, the FAA does not certify ADS-B In systems, but they do like to see approved data for aircraft major alterations.

scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:45am
I'll post here if I do in fact get my aircraft added to the AML in 6 weeks as promised by NavWorx. They said normally it takes even less time but with the holidays and all they added some time. If this turns out to be true then with some planning it would be easier to just get the AML updated rather than trying to teach some FAA inspector how to do his job. Plus some shops don't want the hassle of involving an inspector. Anyway we'll see what happens. Thanks for the reference though. That's my backup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 5:58pm
You're welcome.  I agree with Plan A.  Bethany (my wife) should be able to take care of you.
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 4:14pm
THANK YOU!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic