Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Working with FlyQ and Clarity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working with FlyQ and Clarity
    Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:32am
I recently got my airplane back from the installers who put in my new 540, 340, 240, and MLB100.  With such great stuff installed, who needs FlyQ anymore?  Well, I do because traffic is not active on the 540 ... yet.  Also, FlyQ will make a great back up for additional information regardless of the information presented on the 540.

My issue is that I use a Clarity box to transmit ADS-B data to my IPad running FlyQ.  Ever since I got the new avionics my Clarity seems unable to transmit data to FlyQ.  I can connect anywhere else, but not in my airplane.  The unit will physically pair with the IPad but no ADS-B information is passed between the units.  Funny, though, the AHARS still works.

It seems that something must be jamming the signal from the Clarity.  I've tried moving the Clarity to different locations (including sitting on the IPad) and nothing is able to transfer.  If I take it out of the airplane everything connects and transfers properly.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How did you make it work again?

Tailwinds!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:37am
Can't comment on the Clarity jamming theory (I don't know anything about that) BUT, MLB100 sourced ADS-B traffic is now authorized for display on the IFDs.

Have your shop call our Tech Support for any guidance if needed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

...BUT, MLB100 sourced ADS-B traffic is now authorized for display on the IFDs.

Have your shop call our Tech Support for any guidance if needed.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you brought it up...

I guess I missed a subtlety of what you previously posted:  "If all continues to go well, this will NOT require a new software load beyond Release 10.1.1.0 which *should* be available in the next 2 weeks or so."  I interpreted that to mean 10.1.1.0 was required, but now I realize that it leaves the door open that 10.1.0.0 could work, too.

I just had an MLB100 installed.  As of last Friday, 10/9, among other conflicting information my shop was getting from different Avidyne tech support folks, one item was "Yes, you can now get traffic displayed / No, you won't get traffic displayed until 10.1.1.0 is out."

Based on your previous post, thinking that 10.1.1.0 would be required, I told the shop to not chase the traffic setup.  I know that the traffic is not configured properly, because I was seeing traffic on my portable ADSB displays that wasn't present on the IFD.  (I *did* see the MLB100 test mode that had synthesized targets displayed on the IFD, so I know it's possible.)

This is very frustrating.  I know the information is late-breaking, but it's frustrating that not everyone is on the same page.

Is this something that I can easily configure in an IFD settings page somewhere, without having to go back to my avionics shop, or does the shop need to plug into the MLB100 com port and change settings in that box, instead?

Edited by MysticCobra - 13 Oct 2015 at 5:27pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:54pm
Understood.  I'll try to get Tech Support on the same sheet - this may take a day or two since I'm out of the office on travel but we do have a SIL that describes all the wiring and configuration.  I'll check to see if that's posted yet too.

As a preview for that SIL, you can use MLB100 ADS-B In traffic (and weather) now, without needing to wait until Rel 10.1.1.0.  Over a period of a few days, we got increasingly "looser" pre-reqs approved from the FAA.   In summary:

1.  Wire your MLB100 ARINC429 pins (P1, pins 27 and 8) to an open ARINC port on the IFD;
2.  Wire your MLB100 RS232 Serial pins (P1, 34, 32, 24, and 5) to an open RS232 port on the IFD;
3.  Configure your IFD540/440 ARINC429 port to be  High Speed, Advisory Traffic;
4.  Configure your IFD540/440 Serial port to be Aviation Out and MLB100 Wx In;

The MLB100s come pre-configured but you can use the PC Console app to check/change the MLB100 configuration.

There is an AML STC list of approved aircraft models available from this link:  http://www.navworx.com/ADS600aml.php

If your aircraft type/model is not listed in that (expanding) AML STC list, then you need to seek a field approval and  the SIL provides guidance and support material to do that.

A set of Avidyne communications to all dealers went out last week on this topic.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:36am

Steve:

I had an IFD540 installed in May and an MLB100 installed in early July when they were first available. I have been waiting for the 10.1.1.0 release and have not talked to my shop yet about turning on the MLB100 traffic.

I was told by a friend that the original MLB100 installation manual is incorrect. He said that, in order to display traffic on the IFD540, an additional connection has to be run from the transponder to the altitude encoder input of the MLB100.  This wire was not part of the original MLB100 installation instructions.

Is there any truth to this rumor? (The altitude hookup is not mentioned in the connections itemized in your previous message.) If it's true, it's likely to require significant work because the interior will have to come out (again) to run a line from the front to the back of the airplane.

BTW - The altitude information in my airplane comes from an Aspen PFD, which sends it on the RS232 line to the IFD540 and the AXP340. If the MLB100 needs altitude data, can it pull it off the existing 429 or RS232 busses instead of running a dedicated altitude connection?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mfb - 14 Oct 2015 at 10:38am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

I was told by a friend that the original MLB100 installation manual is incorrect. He said that, in order to display traffic on the IFD540, an additional connection has to be run from the transponder to the altitude encoder input of the MLB100.  This wire was not part of the original MLB100 installation instructions.

Is there any truth to this rumor?

Yes, an update to the wiring diagram was published 9/30 showing that altitude feed.  It came out while my plane was in the shop, and after the shop thought they had the wiring complete.

I wondered at the time about all the folks who got their MLB's installed months back.  Ouch.

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:57am

Then we can send the bill for the extra shop work to Avidyne, since the original work was done according to the approved installation manual, which was incorrect??????

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

4.  Configure your IFD540/440 Serial port to be Aviation Out and MLB100 Wx In;

Not possible in version 10.1.0.0 software.

If you set a port for MLB100Wx In, then that port is forced to be MLB100WX Out.  So you have to hook up the output to a different port than the input.  (Which is what I did.)

My concern is that in a future that includes MLX2xx products, there will be an MLX2xx In/Out protocol, and it will require that the output be on the same port as the input, thus requiring me to rewire my IFD-540 tray again.

So far I'm still holding out hope that my current wiring will work with the MLX units.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 16 Oct 2015 at 1:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic