Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting with an NGT 9000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:10pm
I don't buy it. And I'm back in Boston as of 5 min ago.

We'll get it all worked out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:12pm
Looks like this topic got hijacked, please ddgates or AviJake create a new topic to address the Aspen issue you two are discussing. To get back on track, Jake I don't guess you ran into any L-3 guys in FL wanting to discuss the Lynx and 540 issue initially raised here.
GDC25
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:20pm
sorry
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by glassanza glassanza wrote:

Looks like this topic got hijacked, please ddgates or AviJake create a new topic to address the Aspen issue you two are discussing. To get back on track, Jake I don't guess you ran into any L-3 guys in FL wanting to discuss the Lynx and 540 issue initially raised here.

Oh we definitely spoke with L3 about it at the show. The L3 rep used to work for us and she was very interested in getting the boxes to play well together. She will be relentless...

But the people who took the chance/risk to purchase and install a Lynx before we declared compatibility are all seeing issues and problems.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:00pm
As one of those "risk takers" I'm looking forward to you and L-3 getting it worked out. They're both great boxes. Took first flight last night. FltPlan Go connected to NGT to get all of the traffic and weather. Will try it out again tomorrow, likely. 
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Oh we definitely spoke with L3 about it at the show. The L3 rep used to work for us and she was very interested in getting the boxes to play well together. She will be relentless...

Steve or Simpson:  Any progress to report on the effort between Avidyne and L3 to have the Lynx weather and traffic appear on the IFD boxes?  I hope Ms. Relentless is making it happen.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 3:09pm
She's good. She's trying to get an IFD for the L3 crew to do some testing on. All of our development boxes are in full use now for the 10.2 testing but she (and us) will find a way to make it happen.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:33pm
Tell them I'm still here to test (more) :-)
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

Tell them I'm still here to test (more) :-)

YO :-)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:42am
Some progress has been made.  It would appear that the two companies have worked out the business-to-business issues (thanks to the persistence of the L3 rep) and now we are waiting on the data protocol documentation from L3.

I have a meeting set up at Oshkosh (again, thanks to the persistence of the L3 rep) with the L3 Lynx Product Manager so we'll see what further progress we can make there will be.

In any case, the train has long left the station for Rel 10.2 so Lynx support is not included there.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TangoCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 11:05am
That's great news, thanks.  We're pretty happy with our recent IFD and Lynx upgrade, but we'd be even happier if they were on speaking terms...
--Mark M
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 12:26pm
I hope you're able to make good progress at Oshkosh with L3, Steve.  It would be great to have L3's products working with Avidyne's seemlessly again, as was the case when both were OEM with Cirrus years ago.
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:09pm
Good news for all !
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 7:55pm
Open question not really applicable to this discussion,  but something I would like to know. Can two WAAS GPS units get their input signals from the same antenna the way we do with the VHF nav signal? I have two GPS antenns on my airplane now and am thinking of adding an L3 Lynx. Hate to add a third GPS antenna up there.

Happy Skies.

Old Luddite Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:48pm
Don't know about two GPSs on the same antenna.  But if you have a VHF stand alone antenna, you can replace it with an antenna that receives both GPS and VHF.  That way, you're not really adding an additional antenna, just upgrading the capabililties of one you already have.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:26pm
My avionics shop told me GPS antenna splitters were  used with the Lynx and other equipment, including the IFD.  Won't save you much money since the splitters which will power an antenna aren't cheap.  But you won't be poking another hole in the skin of your airplane.

BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:27am
Thanks Much!

Knew about the Combo VHF and GPS. Used one on Bob II's S35 with the Avidyne 540. Will check with my shop on the splitter. Thank you both.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:09pm
Since it is not clear from the earlier posts:
The 540 displays Lynx traffic, but not weather.  The traffic is delivered via the 429 bus.
On the 540:  Set the connected 429 port (#1 on our box) to "high speed", "Traffic Advisory".
On the L3:
-  Enable "CDTI" 
-  Set the traffic format to "TIF", NOT "DTIF"

I suspect a piece of the compatibility issue that AviJake mentioned is the fact that the NGT only delivers ADS-B via RS-422, and the IFD doesn't have 422.  The Aspen doesn't either, but 422 is essentially differential 232, so Aspen just connected one side.  It is possible the Avidyne just doesn't have enough noise immunity to do this, or doesn't want to verify it.  And the Aspen instructions for connecting in that manner disallow any non Aspen devices being connected.

Actually the NGT does deliver RS-232 ADS-B, but that is dedicated to their external WiFi transmitter.   I suspect that could be made to work just fine, but there is that whole approval consideration: both companies would probably need to assert (and prove) to the FAA that it was safe.

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

Since it is not clear from the earlier posts: The 540 displays Lynx traffic, but not weather.
AzAv8r:  Good info, thanks. Do you happen to know if (1) the traffic the Lynx puts on the 429 port is just TAS derived traffic, or only ADS-B ATAS traffic, or perhaps a combination of both? (2) Whether the traffic icons displayed on the IFD are the enhanced icons depicting info like direction and rate of climb/descent?  And (3) Whether this capability is limited to the 540, or extends also to the IFD440?  Thanks!
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:59pm
I can't answer about the 440, but I'd really expect it to work there also.

This was just setup yesterday and I've not test-flown it.  I've only have the basic Lynx (Mode-S / dual-band ADS-B in, no TAS, no diversity).  For the initial checkout I was sitting on the ground  getting ADS-B directly from aircraft, no ADS-B rebroadcast or TIS-B because of my altitude.

I'll do a test flight this weekend.  I know I'll be able to pick up an ADS-B Ground Station by the time I reach pattern altitude.

As others have suggested, only the TAS symbology though; not the newer "Asteroids" darts that ADS-B displays typically have.  
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

I can't answer about the 440, but I'd really expect it to work there also.

This was just setup yesterday and I've not test-flown it.  I've only have the basic Lynx (Mode-S / dual-band ADS-B in, no TAS, no diversity).  For the initial checkout I was sitting on the ground  getting ADS-B directly from aircraft, no ADS-B rebroadcast or TIS-B because of my altitude.

I'll do a test flight this weekend.  I know I'll be able to pick up an ADS-B Ground Station by the time I reach pattern altitude.

As others have suggested, only the TAS symbology though; not the newer "Asteroids" darts that ADS-B displays typically have.  

It will be interesting to see if you get the normal error message on the 540.
Personally after using the Lynx and the 540 both, It's not a huge deal to me that the traffic displays on the 540. That is due to my Lynx display being very visible. Like the iPad (Foreflight) it is cluttered with a LOT of stuff and makes traffic hard to see. Many times I will set the iPad to "street map" and then without internet it's basically a clear background and easy to see traffic.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:48am
I'm hoping this gets worked out as well. In a recent presentation by L3, L3 is claiming the NGT9000 will work with the 540 when 10.2 comes out. Since the NGT9000 sends traffic and weather to an Aspen, could the Aspen forward this data on to the 540?
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:47am
Alas, on my test flight I discovered the connection between the NGT and the IFD was intermittent, almost certainly a 429 pin or socket not fully inserted in the body of the connector.

That's why we do test flights.

But I'm pretty confident the TIS-B traffic was being displayed, since the quantity of targets appeared to jump dramatically at pattern altitude (where I was receiving the ADS-B ground station).  

Traffic "flickered" with the bad connection.  Traffic would be rendered for a second or so, then it would disappear and I'd get a traffic sensor failure message.   At random intervals it would reappear then disappear. 

ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:12pm
Did you get FIS-B weather at all on the 540?
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:52pm
No ADS-B weather.  The NGT sends the full set of ADS-B over the RS-422/RS-232 lines, but only the Traffic (in TAS format) over the ARINC-429.  I only have the ARINC connected (the RS422 goes to the Aspens).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:00am
Traffic "flickered" with the bad connection.  Traffic would be rendered for a second or so, then it would disappear and I'd get a traffic sensor failure message.   At random intervals it would reappear then disappear.

Unfortunately, I bet you don't have a loose connection.  This is the best behavior I was able to get out of trying to get traffic from the Lynx to the IFD540.  Traffic appears briefly, then a failure message, and this repeats every few minutes.   I am "Really Hoping" the IFD software is upgraded to make this compatible.  But I've had the setup for almost a year now, and from what I read here, even 10.2 won't provide Lynx compatibility.  We are thinking of replacing our second IFD with an MFD that will display things from other products.

But if you do get this working, I'm eager to hear; I've already given up hope (for 10.1.x anyway).

--Mark M
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:08pm
I had the traffic failure message for the first two flights after turning on the 9000 traffic to the 540...It would work for a while, then blitz for a few seconds then back on.... now I never get it (or almost never) and it works fine.  Never a problem for the ex600 displaying it... it's always correct.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

I had the traffic failure message for the first two flights after turning on the 9000 traffic to the 540...It would work for a while, then blitz for a few seconds then back on.... now I never get it (or almost never) and it works fine.  Never a problem for the ex600 displaying it... it's always correct.

Interesting, thanks.  Do you fly in areas with high traffic density?  One thing I did notice is that when flying late at night or in areas with little traffic, it seems to work for longer periods of time. 

And, can you tell us the configuration settings you're using?
--Mark M
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 6:53pm
It worked reliably on the ground checkout (5 minutes?) the week before the test flight.  On the test flight, it worked for about two minutes after startup, and about the time I pushed the throttle forward to taxi out the failure appeared.  Since I was testing other work, I went ahead with the flight.  As I pulled off the runway after landing, the traffic reappeared and remained (no more failures during the taxi back to the hangar.)  The

The L3 had to be set to "TIF".  "DTIF" won't work (we tried).  The L3 can be set to "Both".   Someone at the airport suggested that using "Both" could cause failures also.  Perhaps that configuration can also cause intermittent traffic.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 1:12am
Traffic Sensor Failure occurs many times when flying in the vicinity (80nm?) of PDX, SEA, et al. Not so much when not much traffic is visible to ADS-B receiver.
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 11:59am
yeah so most of my flights are in sparsly populated Idaho... I flew to Sacramento this weekend and got the traffic sensor failure all day long when near the major airspaces... Once headed away 80-100nm no more failures.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 12:07pm
Does anyone know if this "traffic sensor failure" will be fixed in version 10.2? BTW,when will we get 10.2?
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:00am
Any news on the IFD540 connection to the L3 Lynx NGT9000? Orest, have you flown yet with 10.2?

Edited by skitheo - 15 Mar 2017 at 1:01am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 5:42am
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

Any news on the IFD540 connection to the L3 Lynx NGT9000? Orest, have you flown yet with 10.2?

Frustratingly, my plane is down with a Mag problem, now going on three weeks.

* Orest

Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
an L3 guy just posted on beechtalk that the 9000 will now display traffic and weather on the ifd's...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:31pm
Do you have a link? That would be big news.

* Orest
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=135509&start=45

Steve Rutherford was the poster... His post is vague as to the interconnectivity
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 5:20pm
and now he has confirmed that yes, the 9000 will interface via hard wire connection to the IFD to provide traffic and weather!  Awesome.. now have to schedule with avionics installer to get er hooked up!
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 7:16pm
My installer said he was unable to have the Lynx connected to both the Aspen and the IFD540 at the same time. Does someone have this configuration working?

I opted to have the Lynx connected to the Aspen because the Lynx already has traffic callouts, and I can turn on/off traffic and/or weather on the Aspen at will. I don't see such options on the 540, and fear that I will have both the Lynx and the 540 sending out alerts at the same time.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
The NGT9000 has an ARINC 429 output for traffic, and RS422 for traffic and weather.  RS422 is essentially a differential version of the RS232 interface.   Earlier Avidyne said the RS232 interface would be required to interface to the NGT.  It is possible in some (many) cases for an RS422 output to drive an RS232 input if you are careful with the wiring.  Aspen does this.  But:

The Aspen Installation manual has an appendix for the NGT9000 which explicitly states that nothing else can be connected to the NGT when it is used to drive an Aspen in this manner.   What that really means is "our approval of this is contingent on the NGT only driving up to 3 Aspen devices".  I don't think that really means your installer cannot connect it to the Avidyne, but it means (at least) that the installer and owner are responsible for ensuring that it works, because Aspen hasn't.     If you do not have a full suite (3) of Aspen displays, I'd be very surprised if connecting to the Avidyne didn't work just fine.  If you have 3 Aspens and then extend the chain to an IFD or two, your risk increases, but I suspect it would work.

But you need someone to sign it off.

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

and now he has confirmed that yes, the 9000 will interface via hard wire connection to the IFD to provide traffic and weather!  Awesome.. now have to schedule with avionics installer to get er hooked up!

Does traffic show velocity vectors? Is weather METARS, NEXRAD, winds, AIRMETS, or all of the above?
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:19pm
I am also interested in learning exactly what functionality works when sending ADSB In from a NGT-9000 to the IFD540 using 10.2.   Are there limitations?  is everything displayed properly?   I would really appreciate first hand experience if anyone has done this already before I commit to the purchase.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:21pm
I can report traffic now works properly using the 429 interface with the NGT 9000.  No more "Traffic Sensor Faults", at least during a 30 minute local flight where previously (10.1.1.0) such alerts were virtually continuous.

The 10.2 installation manual does not appear to provide any additional basis for connecting an NGT9000.  Traffic can be connected via 429 as "Skywatch".  The errors reported in the terminal area pre 10.2 disappeared.  But there is no mention of it for a weather connection.  I *suspect* a 422 -> 232 serial connection as the Aspen uses would work, configure for an MLB100, but (a) that is speculation, and (b) you'll need to convince your A&P or repair facility to sign the book, and your IA to bless.

For the time being, we will continue to consider the IFD wireless useless, and use the NGT 9000 wireless to put WX and Traffic on our portable devices.  I look forward to a complete solution from Avidyne.  Kudos for putting in a WiFi client mode, and as advertised in the 10.2 PG (page 52), forwarding Traffic and Wx received from other devices across the WiFi.  Once that feature works for us, we'll use it!

bonanza82jt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonanza82jt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:07pm

I stumbled upon this because I have an NGT-9000, and I'm shopping for something that will play well with it.  Maybe I have to go Garmin, but I wanted to give Avidyne a chance.  Is the traffic displayed with the ADS-B symbolism or is it the old style?    Is anybody getting ADS-B weather from NGT-9000 to display on Avidyne (I'm thinking IFD440) ?  Anybody bootlegged the 422 -> 232 connection?  With WiFi getting to be so common seems like they could just communicate that way (they both have it).  THat would be too easy I guess.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:02pm
It was reported, actually on the Bonanza forums by L3, that the Lynx9000 and the IFD units are now compatible and legal for TIS-B & FIS-B display. Firmware 10.2 will now display the new ADS-B topology for traffic, if it is a TIS-B source.

* Orest

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:37pm
Thanks Orest

I do not recall seeing the ADS-B symbology on my flight back from San Diego last Sunday.  But we are using the 429/735A interface.  And I'm pretty confident there is no weather over the 429, since nobody has defined a standard. So the implication is a RS-422/RS-232 connection as Aspen uses is necessary.  Was there any mention of this?  (Or in fact, the required IFD config, since the 10.2 docs only provide for the MLB100, if I read them correctly.)  Or of an approval basis (beyond NORSEE)?

(I'll ask my shop to call L3, but the more information I can provide the higher the probability of a favorable outcome.)

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:28pm
Cardinal Flyers mailing list reported this from Sun 'n Fun Avidyne CEO Press Conference:

"ADS-B boxes supported are Avidyne, Garmin and Capstone L3NGT900"

If only we had documentation...
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:52pm
I have been asking Avidyne and L3 about this.

Avidyne told me this
"yes, we STCd the GTX345 with the IFD5-Series and IFD4-Series.  The Lynx is certified with it's own external GPS as position source for ADS-B OUT, which is what the requirement calls for.   Our new R10.2 software allows for display of the ADS-B Wx & Traffic from Lynx and GTX345."

L3 told me this.

Thanks for your email regarding the Lynx NGT-9000 and Avidyne IFD540.

The NGT-9000 outputs ADS-B traffic and weather on an RS-422 serial databus using the popular GDL-90 protocol. With software 10.2 to the IFD540, the 540 is compatible with the GDL-90 protocol, which means the IFD will display weather and traffic information from the NGT-9000. The wiring interface involves the RS-422 out connected to the RS-232 in at the IFD.

Attached are some pictures we took during our test flight several months ago showing ADS-B traffic and some of the FIS-B weather products that the IFD was receiving from the NGT-9000.

I then asked L3 if some sort of adapter was required between the two units to convert RS422 to RS232 and was told this

No adapter required. Simply wire one side of the 422 at the Lynx to the 232 input at the IFD. There's a wiring interconnect drawing in the NGT-9000 manual for the IFD interface.

One word of caution...currently you can't interface the 9000 to the IFD and an Aspen EFD display because the two displays use different baud rate settings for the 422/232. In an aircraft that has IFDs and EFDs, one would have to choose which display will be interfaced to the NGT-9000.

Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:59pm
These are the three photos that L3 sent to me demonstrating the integration

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:47am
Ouch.  The NGT has a configurable baud rate (38400, 57600, or 115200).  But neither Aspen nor the IFD allow it to be explicitly configured.  The Aspen manual specifies that the NGT should be configured with the 115200 rate, but I'm not finding anything in the 10.2 IFD IM which indicates what rate is used.

One might be able to get a rate converter to work, but that feels like a science project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic