Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terrain Database Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrain Database Update
    Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
Hi All-

I just opened JSUM to download current charts, and I notice that there is a rather gigantic (1.8 Gbyte) terrain database update available. Has anyone installed this? Any problems?

I am in the process of downloading to the memory stick now.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm
Yep, there it is. I just had a look at JDM.

* Orest

TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:01pm
One of the reasons I bought (two) 440s was the inclusion of Terrain (vs brand G charging for it in a 650). When I updated my Jeppesen subscriptions I only now see the IFD440 Obstacles download. My understanding was that a new Terrain database hadn't been released and that the 440s came with the Terrain DB "from the factory." 

Just checked in JDM and I don't see the 1.8GB download available. Should I?

Edited by TomH - 19 Nov 2015 at 9:08pm
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:43pm
Also downloading the update, but really don't want to be the first one to load it. Who ever gets it to load first please post!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by TomH TomH wrote:

Just checked in JDM and I don't see the 1.8GB download available. Should I?

Give it a day or two, I expect it will appear.

* Orest

bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 11:27pm
I installed it today on my 540. No problem, but plan on being patient. It took almost an hour to install the 4 current updates.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:49am
I installed the terrain update, and it loaded with no problem, but it did take the better part of an hour. It indicated that it was loading terrain database PN 500-00208-000. It was interesting that there is no such update available on JSUM for my Dad's IFD540. Since my Dad's unit was just at Avidyne a few weeks ago for some hardware updates, I am wondering whether its terrain database was updated at the factory. If so, the Jeppesen updating software (which is specific to the N-number) would need to be sophisticated enough to know which units required the update.

I would be interested in whatever insight the Avidyne folks can provide. I did not expect that we would see too many terrain updates in the absence of large volcanic eruptions or major tectonic events.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 12:18pm
Hello ya'll
I just spoke to Jeppesen and the tech support guy who talked to somebody indicated that the Terrain Database for the IFD 440 was delayed and would be coming out in December.  I don't know what is different but thats what they said.  Don't run into the ground if you have the old database on your 440...

Jack
Jack Seubert
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

....I did not expect that we would see too many terrain updates in the absence of large volcanic eruptions or major tectonic events.

Actually, there is value in the terrain updates. Of course very little changes in terms of the actual terrain, but the database coverage for the terrain DOES extend and improve, especially outside of CONUS.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 2:20pm
The terrain update showed up on my JDM, but before I had the memory stick to download it, it disappeared.

Called Jepp, they report the file was corrupted and was pulled by Jeppesen.  

Expects it to be reposted within a week.

So, if you aren't seeing the update in your JDM, this could be why.

David Gates
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The terrain update showed up on my JDM, but before I had the memory stick to download it, it disappeared.

Called Jepp, they report the file was corrupted and was pulled by Jeppesen.  

Expects it to be reposted within a week.

So, if you aren't seeing the update in your JDM, this could be why.

Interesting.  Does this mean that those who have already updated their IFD540s need to re update once the new file is released?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 7:12pm
Dunno. Sounds logical.
David Gates
klelpers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klelpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:51pm
I updated my 540 with the terrain.  Be aware, it took over an hour with charts and all!

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:33am
Jeep says they still have problems with the IFD540 terrain database and it remains pulled from download.
David Gates
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:42am
Hi David-

Thanks for the update. I know that those of us who have downloaded and installed it would be interested in information about the issues with the database, but the guy I talked to at Jeppesen did not have much to say. Hopefully, anyone who knows more will share.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:27pm
I downloaded and installed in my 440's today, took about 45 minutes.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 12:32am
My 540/440 took about 45 min each also
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:11am
Did u have to buy an update for the 440. All I bought was data base and charts
Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:48am
No, the terrain just appeared. I didn't buy anything extra.

* Orest

LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:21pm
I updated my IFD540 terrain database this afternoon.  The download from the Avidyne USB stick took about 65 minutes for the 1.8-GB database.  No problems.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:58pm
Mine has never shown up on the jep website for my 440...didn't get much for christmas either. guess I've been bad!!
Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:47pm
Hmm, a lump of coal then?  ;-)

* Orest

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:14pm
Just Call Jepp, they will get you going I bet.  Did you update the software to JDM yet?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by LarryPetro LarryPetro wrote:

I updated my IFD540 terrain database this afternoon.  The download from the Avidyne USB stick took about 65 minutes for the 1.8-GB database.  No problems.

Larry,
Did you need to subscribe to a terrain db service? I have had an IFD540 for a year now with a navdata subscription (no charts) and have never seen a terrain db appear under JDM.

Vince

Vince
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
Vince,

I don't have a subscription for the terrain database, so I called the 800 number that listed on the JeppDirect page for the a single-purchase of an Avidyne IFD540 product. The only option for the terrain database is World-wide coverage. They took my CC number and within minutes the database was available for download with my OS X app, JDM, which is the same way that I download my 28-day navdata updates.

-Larry
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 5:31pm
I would like to verify that the terrain database update is truly stored in my IFD540.  The Databases Status page shows the Nav, Obstacles, and Charts cycle and valid dates.  But, the terrain database cycle and valid date are not displayed.

Where does the IFD540 present that information?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic