Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP340 doesn't start in gnd mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP340 doesn't start in gnd mode
    Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:04pm
My AXP340 is supposed to be set up to turn on in ground mode and to automatically switch to alt at a target speed. That's what the avionics shop told me, and I went through the setup menu and I believe everything in there indicates that too, but every time I turn it on, it starts in ALT mode and the only modes available are ALT, STBY and ON. According to the book, it should also turn on when power is applied to it, but I have to turn it on manually? The IFD440 (installed at the same time) does come on with the AV Master switch, but the axp does not?

Any suggestions?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 12:41pm
The AXP will stay off, if it was previously manually turned off. But, IIRC in addition there is a setup option to have it follow the power state (or NOT). GND mode, and auto cycling takes a few things to be set up correctly as well.

It sounds like some things may have been missed in the config setup.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Nov 2015 at 12:41pm
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:05pm
I'll look through the config menu again. Any idea what might be missing for GND nice to work?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 1:57pm
It is just a guess, if one thing is off ...

Could also be an install issue, not running the ground sense from the IFD540 (or a squat switch) correctly.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:06pm
From the install manual ...
5.5.5 Squat Switch Input 
The Squat switch input allows the transponder to automatically switch between Airborne and Ground modes
of operation.  The squat switch will also automatically start and stop the flight timer.  The input will be
asserted when the voltage to ground is pulled below approximately 4 Volts.  The operating mode of the
squat switch can be programmed during setup to allow for active low or active high logical behaviour.  For
aircraft with no squat switch this input should be left open circuit, and the setup mode programmed for “Not
Connected”.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:28pm
Mine does the same thing.  You need wither the squat switch, or a GPS connection to simulate the squat switch so it auto switches.
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 8:23pm
I have an ifd440, and the shop that installed them told me it was set up for auto air/ground
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:10pm
Our 540/340 combination was working fine, then we accidentally uploaded the sim settings to our 540, screwed everything up, including causing our transponder unit not to go to grnd mode. Unfortunately the shop did not tell me which setting they had to change to get it to work. I would be willing to bet its a setup issue.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 8:46am
Originally posted by M20J M20J wrote:

I have an ifd440, and the shop that installed them told me it was set up for auto air/ground

What shop did you use?

* Orest

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:17pm
This is not exactly the same as M20J's issue, but it seems like it fits into this thread anyways.  I also have a 540 and AXP340 transponder.  The transponder is setup to auto switch to ALT based on the GPS ground speed from the 540.  I've noticed that the AXP starts up and stays in ALT mode until the IFD is done with its startup and self test.  Which is typically only a few seconds.  Today though, while updating the nav database I noticed that the AXP stays in ALT mode the whole time the IFD is updating.  

Is this possibly something wrong with my installation?  Or is this "normal"?  It seems to me that the AXP should start in GND mode and then only switch to ALT when the ground speed exceeds the preset point.  

Would these ALT replies cause any issues for ATC? 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:27am
The FAA now requires that you maintain your transponder in ALT mode on the ground. Mode S "GND" is OK as well. So no issues with the squawks.

Believe this was a change in the logic to address the potential for the transponder NOT cycling, if the even that the FD malfunctioned.

* Orest

Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:07am
I had a similar issue with my initial installation.  The installer assumed the air/ground switching worked like Garmin and failed to install the "squat switch" wire between the 540 and 340 identified in the installation manual.  I had that corrected by another shop.
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:56am
I've just come back from having my 540/440/340 install done. Like a previous poster, I'm having problems with the auto-switching, but I have an airspeed switch, so looking to make a trip back to get this connected and hopefully resolve that problem.

However, I've not managed to read to solution to getting the AXP340 to power up with the avionics master which my GTXS330 used to do - it certainly doesn't power itself up when it was last turned off via the master - has anyone got a solution?

Ben
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 8:12am
Hi Ben-

If my AXP340 is turned off using the switch on the panel, that switch will need to be pressed to turn it on again. If the AXP340 is powered down using the avionics master, it will power up as soon as the avionics master is turned on again. It sounds as though this is different from what you are seeing, but I do not recall any setting that changes the power up/power down behaviour. I hope that we hear something from someone more knowledgeable.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:23am
Hi Ben,
I got a warranty replacement for mine because of this issue. Let your shop know and they should order you a replacement.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:16am
Before you mail it off for warranty, be sure it is wired correctly.  There is a connection to power that is required for it to turn on with the master.  My original installation would not turn on without the additional wire.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 11:22am
My AXP340 behaves the same as PA20Pacer describes. Power supply is from the avionics bus, so the unit only comes up when the avionics power is turned on. If it is on and I turn it off manually, then it stays off through external power cycles until I manually turn it back on.

Vince
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 2:55am
Thanks all. I've got an appointment back at the shop for October to connect up the air speed switch, and will try some more testing in the meantime to see if I can get the unit to come on with the master - if that fails then the unit will have to go back.  At least I've still got the 330 to cover me for the time it takes to get from Europe to the US and back!

Gring - if you can point me (and hence the shop) at anything about the extra wire that would be appreciated - so far neither of us have been able to find a hint about that
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 4:09am
That extra wire is news to me too, so I'm interested to see Gring's response.
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Before you mail it off for warranty, be sure it is wired correctly.  There is a connection to power that is required for it to turn on with the master.  My original installation would not turn on without the additional wire.

This is not consistent with the AXP340 Installation Guide (here).  The wiring diagram does not show any power-related wire other than the primary input on pins 11 and/or 12. 

Per p. 23:
Quote 6.5.1 Power Input
The power supply can be 11-33 Volts DC; no voltage adjustment is required. Contacts 11 and 12 on the 24 way connector are both available as power inputs. This is for compatibility reasons only – internally the two are connected together, and in most installations only one need be connected to the power supply.
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 11:12am
My shop told me that it is a known issue. The first replacement unit they put in also did this, they got a second replacement the following day and that fixed it.
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Awful Charlie Awful Charlie wrote:

Gring - if you can point me (and hence the shop) at anything about the extra wire that would be appreciated - so far neither of us have been able to find a hint about that

It's in the IFD440 installation Manual. Page 1 of Section two on page 34 has a note under Plug & Play Considerations. And then in detail beginning on page 82 in section 6.12.

Connect the appropriate input pin on the AXP340 with the IFD5XX/4XX P1001 Pin 8 in order to get automatic on-ground / in-air mode transition. 

Edited by TomH - 10 Aug 2016 at 11:15am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 8:18am
TomH, the mystery wire in question is in regard to having the AMX340 turn on when power is applied, vs. having to turn the unit on individually every time the plane starts.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:59am
Just to close this off, the Ground/Alt switching was due to the Grey code being connected in addition to the RS232 and is now sorted, the power on with avionics is going to need the unit swapped out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic