Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USB FOB FAT 32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB FOB FAT 32
    Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:45pm
Is there anyone running apple capitan OS and having a problem formatting the usb fob to FAT 32
I have tried 4 different ways now and for some reason i plug it into the IFD and it says the USB not formatted to fat 32
if i go to my computer plug it in and look at the info 
it says it is formatted to FAT 32 
anyone else having this problem with the new capitan OS ???

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 3:11pm
Yes, I thought we published a SIL and sent out customer notices about that being a problem. I'll try to dig that up later tonight when I get network access.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 3:19pm
that would be great if you can find it.. I have looked at almost every workaround i can find on the net.. but nothing seems to take

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 9:18pm
Don,
I had the same problem when trying to format FAT 32 with El Capitan. From what i have figured out is that The option to format FAT 32 was removed from El Capitan. The solution is to format the fob using Bootcamp and Windows on your Mac or find somebody who can format them with a windows computer.

Jack Seubert
Jack Seubert
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:09am
thats what i was afraid of ...i will give that a try to 
that really stinks lol
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:17am
On a Mac doesn't disk utility format it in MS-DOS (FAT)?
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:50am
I've not tried it, but it looks like this might work to make a FAT32 drive under El Capitan

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/480-disk-utility-patched-v2/

It looks like you need to run at least one Terminal command so that it will run.
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 12:28pm
It is very easy I called MAC they told me how to do it I am currently in South America do not have a blank FOB to try and be sure I remember but I believe the scheme you use is Master Boot and then exfat I am not sure but it works very easy with el capitan Just have to pick the right formats. 
Dave
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 12:56pm
Here is a link to the Avidyne SIL on the topic that I mentioned near the top of the thread:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/index.asp

It's the top one in the list on that page.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:38pm
Well your SIL says it can not be done but after I called apple and asked how it works perfectly with El Capitan Just as well as before. 
Dave
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by safari safari wrote:

...with El Capitan

Well I had to google that. So, for anyone else wondering, El Capitan is the codename for a particular MAC OS release.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 4:06pm
Well now that I remember things a little clearer, the SIL is for our legacy MFDs which use FAT-16 file system.   The IFD uses a FAT-32 system and I didn't think that was adversely affected by the recent Apple change.  So, that may mean that Don's original squawk is something else.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 11:01pm
Thanks Royski !! I tried the terminal command at an earlier date (week ago) and did have another option for formatting the USB... Formatted it and then reloaded the original nav data ... the info tab on the usb showed it was all good for formatted to fat32 ... but in the IFD was no joy ... said the USB was not formatted correctly ... and it was just like Safari said Master Boot and then Ex Fat ... so i will take all the nav data off and save on mac in a folder... use my old windows machine and try to reformat the usb to Fat 32 and then reload the info on there and try tomorrow to get it loaded into the IFD ... thanks guys for the help .. will let you know how it works .. and keep trying to get it to work on mac as well .... 
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 8:47am
Try it again use for Format MS dos Fat and for scheme Master Boot Record. I have done this three times and it works just fine. I did not have any luck saving in a folder had to call Jepp and have them let me down load again 
Dave
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:47am
Now see safari .... that would make perfect sense !!!! before i knew about the master boot record i am pretty sure i formatted to the MS DOS FAT ... but was on the original scheme that was populated at first ... and that may have been my downfall .... hopefully all good now ... bout to head to hangar to see how it goes !!! and then go flying !!! :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic