Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual IFD audio issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual IFD audio issues
    Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 8:31pm

When dual IFD units (540/440) are installed, should both units have their TAWS audio output wired to an unswitched audio input on the audio panel, or is it sufficient to have only the 540 audio connected?

Thanks

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 9:54pm
I can't be certain but I think I remember reading in the install manual to only wire one up.  Not both.  However it was a few years ago so you need to check me. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 10:08am
The short answer is "It depends".

The longer answer is that it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.   Many, but not all, of the aurals are shared between dual IFDs so if one box is wired to the audio panel then you are okay.  I do have a few notes in the Pilot Guide about the details of this as well as the Installation Manual.

For example, if you have a traffic sensor wired to one IFD, as long as you don't have two different traffic sources connected to your IFDs (e.g. one ADS-B box and one active  TAS box), then the traffic aurals are shared between the IFDs and all you need is one IFD wired to the audio panel.

But, there are so many configuration variants, perhaps the simplest thing to ask you is "What exactly are you trying to accomplish in your airplane?" or "What do you have in mind?"

Edited by AviJake - 26 Dec 2015 at 10:09am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 11:38am

Trying to address the "it depends" issue:

I have the 540/440 with 340 and MLB100.  So my traffic information comes from the MLB100 and terrain from the IFDs.  Originally there was no audio alerting, until the shop installed the TAWS audio output of the 540 to an unswitched audio input on the audio panel.  Now I get the altitude alerts and the confirming "bongs" when changing the levels on the "Aural Alert" display on the 540.

However, since there are no confirming "bongs" when changing the Aural Alert level on the 440, only on the 540, I was wondering if this was optimum, or if the 440 audio alert out should be jumped to the same audio in on the audio panel.

Thanks

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:39am
What you have now is essentially optimum. You could wire the 440 alerts to an unused input, but at minimal operational difference. You definitely do not want two devices both wired into a single input at the audio panel.

In my case, I have the alert audio on a switched input, and glad I do because I sometimes operate low-level flights and the alerts can become an annoyance. On those flights, terrain awareness is already front-of-mind so I don't need the electronic safety net to nag me.

On the other hand, if it was wired into an unstitched input, a similar result could be achieved by turning the volume all the way down to zero, I presume.

David Bunin
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
I recently installed dual 440's in my cirrus, the com audio sounds like a tin can as compared to the GNS 430's I replaced. I was wondering if anyone has experienced that and if there is a configuration setting to resolve.
dpcraig
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:21pm
The audio on my IFD is stellar, I haven't seen any comments here about audio issues.

Note that there are two different audio outputs on the IFD units, the standard one meant to duplicate the impedances of the GNS units, and another one that may work better in some instances.

It may have something to do with that, or it could be an unrelated wiring issue. Is your audio panel factory?

* Orest

dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:37pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I am assuming the configurations settings are exactly the same as the 430's. Where would I access the settings to the outputs? On another subject, I have been trying to set different data block settings for each unit but they don't seem to save, would that be because I have cross synchronization configured and whatever settings I configure on one will display on the other?
dpcraig
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:41pm
And yes the audio panel is factory.
dpcraig
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
The outputs that I'm talking about are two different physical conditions on the back of the unit. Normally folks use the one that the 430W used.

Datablock settings do not propogate from one unit to the other, they can be independently set. Be sure that you haven't changed the defined USER in teh unit. You can set numerous users with independent configurations.

The settings are a superset of the 430W. You can get to the unit setup by going into the maintenance pages. Be careful what you change there, if anything.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Jan 2016 at 9:53pm
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:56pm
Okay great - I'll check on both of those. Appreciate the feedback...i know I'm all over the place with these issues, but it looks like you have been active on the forum. I did fly for the first time today with the units and had the same issues as some of the others whereby the VLOC stayed yellow on an ILS approach today, but was green on a VOR approach. Sounds like I'm not the only one experiencing that.
dpcraig
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:06pm
Yes, the VLOC staying yellow on most ILS (but not VOR) approaches is now a documented problem. It is kind of a cool feature that has gone wrong because the Jepp database is incomplete. Not sure how they will fix that, perhaps they will just pull the feature.

I posted about that here, sounds like you may have come across that thread already.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Jan 2016 at 12:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

The outputs that I'm talking about are two different physical conditions on the back of the unit. Normally folks use the one that the 430W used.

I will point out that DPCraig is asking about the Comm audio quality.  The two different physical connections on the back the Orest mentions are for the alerts audio.

Apples to oranges.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
Good point but something is definitely wrong. Most people properly note that the audio quality is significantly and very noticeably better than the competition and the previous units.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:05pm
I agree, the comm audio quality is fantastic.  DP is probably dealing with an installation wiring problem.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:11am
Not sure I've noticed a huge improvement over previous radio/audio panel (hard to judge without an A/B compare opportunity, especially with a three-month dwell time in the shop during the transition), but it is absolutely not worse.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I will point out that DPCraig is asking about the Comm audio quality.  The two different physical connections on the back the Orest mentions are for the alerts audio. ...

Ah yes, my mistake. I remember that you posted about a secondary audio output, but I didn't recall that it was for the alerts only.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jan 2016 at 1:38pm
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:55am
Agree that the audio quality of the IFDs is excellent, noticeably better than the 530/430 they replaced, even though the G* 340 panel has remainedl in use.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:42pm
I have a whistle problem during com tx (IFD540) that I'm troubleshooting. At this stage, I'm don't really know yet  if it is the IFD540, alternator, ACU, or other. It appeared after an avionics upgrade incl the 540 last spring and is proving troublesome to clear. The whistle freq and volume change with rpm.

I have noticed a comment back in August on the Avidyne Facebook site that there is a known sidetone during tx pb ("Dave Boyd Peter, the side tone during transmit will be fixed in a later software update...This problem has been already documented. Also it will be covered under warranty."), but I haven't found any thread about it (yet) on the forum. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 2:53pm
I'll put my 2015 bonus on the line that it's not the IFD540 causing your whistle but hope you can get that resolved pronto.

As for your sidetone adjust question - the current released software does not provide a means to adjust your sidetone setting/volume.    That capability gets added as part of Release 10.2 this spring.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I'll put my 2015 bonus on the line that it's not the IFD540 causing your whistle but hope you can get that resolved pronto.

Bet your 2015 bonus?  Did you see the DJIA today?

If you get one, salt it away....

David Gates
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
"As for your sidetone adjust question - the current released software does not provide a means to adjust your sidetone setting/volume.    That capability gets added as part of Release 10.2 this spring."

Interesting!  I keep running into things right before you put them in a release.  

Flew the comanche four days in the row over the holiday, and noticed with my wife's halo plugged in and my lightspeeds, the volume when I transmitted was LOUD.   Flew the next day by myself and the next with a friend with a different headset and didn't notice it.  I'll pay attention to if it's just those headsets.  What issues were someone else having with the halos?  

On the bright side, it forced me to reread the pilot's manual.  (I always learn something new when I do). 

I would hope (but don't expect) that you should be able to get a bit more efficiency through the FAA process as you do more and more sw releases. 

What am I saying... 

My issues with the superAwos / Pilot controlled lighting seem to be fixed (by 10.1.1) and the HW mods fixed my GPS issues with my earlier 540.  So, things are getting great really fast. 

Keep up the good work.  

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 04 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:18am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

Flew the comanche four days in the row over the holiday, and noticed with my wife's halo plugged in and my lightspeeds, the volume when I transmitted was LOUD.   Flew the next day by myself and the next with a friend with a different headset and didn't notice it.  I'll pay attention to if it's just those headsets.  What issues were someone else having with the halos?  

I have two pair several years apart that seemed to have a very high modulation that was causing the IFDs to clip when talking to certain ATC centers.  The problem from my point of view is the "Halo + IFD540s + ATC Center Receivers".  Its not specific to a frequency and other aircraft can hear it just fine.
Any other headset works perfectly fine. I think we surveyed about 10 different types, but didn't try the Clarity Aloft.

If you do get reports of clipping or poor transmissions please relay it to Avidyne team.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:35am
Thanks for the info.  No issues like that.    But, I'll keep my ears on it, and report any oddities. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 05 Jan 2016 at 10:35am
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

Thanks for the info.  No issues like that.    But, I'll keep my ears on it, and report any oddities. 

Ken

FWIW, you won't hear or notice anything. You'll get a "Say Again" or the like from ATC or they won't respond when you check in.
From the conversations I've had with center when this happens and I've swapped headsets, they can usually hear the very first second or so fine, so quick short responses do seem to work.  I was also told to move the MIC about 2+" from my mouth to help with this over modulation issue.

Again the "works 100% of the time solution" is to just use my old ANRs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic