Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When? MLX770 & european vfr charts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When? MLX770 & european vfr charts
    Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm
Its about time that we see some announcements or some feeling that the IFD's will finally start being compatible with the MLX770.

Also .. It is strange why it will not show the european vfr terminal charts..?

When may we expect this?
Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:34am
Same here. I guess not enough EU customers with Avidyne ;-)
Read somewhere in the forum that sw 10.2 resolves the eu vfr charts issue tough.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 12:27pm
Yes, EU VFR VAC charts should be available with 10.2 (they are ready now, don't ask me how I know, but apparently there are some "glitches" still being worked out between Avidyne and Jepp).

The catch will be that the VFR VAC charts are a different subscription from the IFR charts (IAC, SIDs, STARs, etc) and they cannot both be installed in the box at the same time. :-( So if one has an IFR departure with a VFR arrival, or vice versa, you need to decide which is more important. Same applies to the navdata db.

Switching between db's isn't practical anyway because they are single-load only. That is, once you load a db and then load a different db, you can't load the first one again.... would need to request a new copy from Jepp. It seems that part of the loading process into the IFD writes back to the USB so that it can't be reused. Same reason you can't use a USB to load a single db into 2 on-board IFD's.... you need 2 Jepp subscriptions with 2 db's, one for each IFD.

My suggestion is to get a VFR app on a tablet and use that for the VFR charts. The app suppliers like Skydemon and EasyVFR are miles ahead of Jepp in the VFR domain although Jepp is trying to catch up.

I don't think this is much of a priority with Avidyne yet anyway due to the only recent EASA approval and limited install base in Europe. Same applies to the MLX770. The TAS-A unit probably has higher priority and people have been waiting for it for over a year now.

Vince
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:29pm

wtf?????

that should be a no brainer.

I believe the EX500 and 600 both are already capable of showing IFR and VFR charts on the same box??

Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:55am
I think we need to make a difference between the Jeppesen VFR charts and the EU BOTTLANG (Jeppesen VFR charts). I have indeed vfr and ifr charts on the EX500. Bottlang is another matter...
From what i understood, it is Bottlang which becomes available in sw 10.2 Jepp VFR is all ready available in the previous sw (?)
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:17pm
I'm not aware of any Jeppesen VFR charts other than the previous Bottlang charts now sold as Jeppesen VFR charts. What distinction are you making? We're talking just about Europe here.

The Jepp IFR charts are of course available currently and have been since the IFD was released. The Jepp VFR charts (ex-Bottlang) won't be available until 10.2.

My point is that the Jepp VFR charts (ex-Bottlang) is a separate database file from the Jepp IFR charts, and both cannot be installed in the IFD at the same time. I have this in writing from Jepp.

Vince
Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:43pm

Hi Vince,

I have a Jeppesen subscription for VFR + IFR charts on my EX500. (Europe only)

I just recently added the IFR charts. Before I had only Jeppesen VFR charts (NOT the ex Bottlang onces )

I you want, I can look up the Jeppesen reference.

M.

Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 5:52pm

Like this chart. (here on my pc)

The vfr and ifr display nicely on my EX500, both installed. The updates for the EX come in a single file for both Ifr and vfr togheter. So if I understand it correctly, they can not be installed on the IFD540 ? Strange.

Edited by Mooneyfan - 31 Oct 2016 at 5:57pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:05pm
Very interesting. That is an ex-Bottlang chart, BTW. At some point Jepp just stopped calling them Bottling and rebranded to pure Jepp. They have since revamped the presentation somewhat. It is exactly what I also have in JeppView and JeppFD as in your picture.

I'm not familiar with EX500, but are you running Release 9 on it?

This is what I received from Jeppesen on 16 Aug, after I queried them when they stopped making the VFR charts available for download on JDM:
"unfortunately VFR Terminal Charts are NOT supported on the Avidyne IFD540 or IFD Release 9 avionics. 
Avidyne has experienced some technical issues rendering some VFR charts in flight mode due to sizing (# elements in some chart files). 
Until this is resolved, which will require new software certification on Avidyne's side, VFR charts should not be supported for these systems."

They started making them available on JDM and then suddenly stopped. The last cycle that I received was 16-2016. Apparently sales started releasing it before it was fully approved.

If you have both IFR and VFR VAC charts on the EX500 today, then I would also expect them both on the IFD540. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by chflyer - 20 Nov 2016 at 1:16pm
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:21pm
I've just reread the Jepp email regarding concurrent IFR & VFR data and it relates to navdata, not charts.

Jepp provided me with a one-off JDM download of Europe VFR navdata for review. I was looking for the VFR VRPs but they were missing so I just stayed with the Europe IFR navdata.
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic