Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Active radar on the 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active radar on the 540
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Anything in the works for controlling and displaying active onboard radar like the EX500/600 do?

thanks
Nathan
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 4:40pm
That's a great idea.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Slatye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slatye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:23am
I'd definitely like to see radar on the IFD540 - especially if it supported the same radars as the EX500 did.

I'm sure I'm not be the only person who'd like to get a new GPS/NAV/COM and simultaneously eliminate an ancient radar indicator from the panel (especially because I can't actually fit an IFD540, KSN770, or GTN750 without removing the radar indicator). Doing that with the competition (GTN750 and KSN770) requires spending $15K on the GPS/NAV/COM, and then another $20K upgrading the radar to something that will interface with those systems.

The EX500 supported a variety of older units (including the RDR-160, which is what my plane currently has) and if the IFD540 did the same then that would instantly resolve the question of what to buy - after all, $15K is a lot more wallet-friendly than $35K.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:36am
Copy.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:56pm
Welcome to the game.. Nobody really plays much with each other... I started with the ex600 to get the radar... But had a gdl-69a xm weather... That doesnt play with the ex600... So now changing to the mlb700 and adding the 540... Who knows how long it will be til everything is in one box... Have i saved any money by going this way? No. Prob would be the same to have upgraded the radar and gone gtn750.... But im here now and i was able to do it in stages while staying functional...
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 1:10am
This would be awesome especially if combined with an option to clear all left side com data and right side nav data from the map page and view terrain, course, wx, and traffic on a full screen!
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic