Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maintenance mode lighting setup bug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintenance mode lighting setup bug
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 11:31pm
I just spent a fair bit of time working to tweak the dimming setup on my IFD540 so that it would match well with the lighting behavior of my AMX340 and AMP240.  The behavior I was after was full-bright with dimmer "off" (0V), step-transition to minimum brightness at about 10-20% dimbus voltage, then a steady ramp up to my desired maximum night brightness at full dimbus voltage.

This is exactly how the AviCurve dimmer control is supposed to work with the IFD540...and in fact, it does.

The problem is, that's not how AviCurve works when you're actually in the Maintenance Mode on the lighting setup page.  If you set dimming mode to "Proportional", and then go spin the dimmer knob, you'll see the screen brightness respond according to the parameters you've entered for min/max brightness.  In other words, you see the effects of your settings changes immediately, and the box behaves exactly as described in the manual.

But if you set the dimming mode to "AviCurve" and spin your dimmer knob, it doesn't.  In that case, you'll see the transition from full-bright at 0V to min brightness at whatever dimbus % you set the transition to occur at...and then the screen will just sit there at that minimum brightness as you spin the dimmer knob between that transition level and max voltage, completely ignoring whatever max brightness setting you input.

I sat there with the installation guide on my lap and staring at all the parameters, and tweaking and trying and fiddling and fussing for about 20 min, getting more and more frustrated with why the screen wasn't behaving the way the book said it was supposed to.

I finally said, "Screw it," and gave up, and rebooted the box...and found out that the screen *does* dim as described in the install guide using the AviCurve setting, once it's out of maintenance mode and back in operational mode.  It just doesn't work right in maintenance mode.

In the grand scheme of things this bug is minor, but it was very frustrating to figure out the hard way.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:42am
Interesting feedback.  I'll have to look at this early this week.  I think I know why but want to check out a few things before responding again.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic