Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Checklists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checklists
    Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:12pm
The IFDs allow the user to create extensive checklists.  There can be up to 450 entries (9 different checklists with up to 50 entries each.  With up to 30 characters per entry, that could be up to 13,500 characters!

How about a little survey? 
 - Are you using the Checklist function? 
 - If you are, about how many of the 450 possible fields contain data?? 
 - How did you input the data? (touch screen, wireless KB, ??)

Jim Patton
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:22pm
Yes, I entered them. Never really used them because after 10yrs with the plane I have "Flow Patterns" down, but I did enter them.

I used all 9 checklists and realized I needed more (IIRC I needed 14). Since they don't cross sync, the Normal checklists went on Bottom IFD540 and Emergency checklists on Top IFD540.

I used the desktop IFD simulator to create them and then transferred them using USB.
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:37pm
I entered them and yes needed more than 9 so had to combine some. I mostly use the before take off and approach check list. Very handy to have them there so you do not have to worry about mis placing a paper copy. I just used the on screen keyboard to enter them because the key board was not out yet which would have been easier. I would suggest more than 9  checklists would be good. 
Dave
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 2:56pm
1. No
2. n/a
3. n/a

I have always used printed checklists.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:53pm
I'm using all 9 checklists, it would be nice to have a few more available.  They have between 3 and 25 entries per checklist, but most are 8 or 9 entries.  I have my laminated paper checklists still available, but I've been using the 540 checklists almost exclusively.  I like how the checklists remember where you left off.  I can just hit the aux rocker and be right back at my checklist.  I pretty much only use the aux pages for the checklists while in flight.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:14am
I have four checklists:
BEFORE TAKEOFF
CRUISE
BEFORE LANDING
AFTER LANDING

I created them on my home computer and took them to the airplane in a USB stick.  Today, I might use the IFD BT Keyboard to create or edit them.

I still have paper checklists, because the IFD is of no use to me during a preflight inspection walkaround or for engine starting.

I only use the IFD checklists for "killer items" like having the mixture rich for takeoff.  There are very few killer items in a 172.  For example, I will never forget to lower the gear.

None of my checklists run beyond the visible screen on the 540.

David Bunin

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:26am
One of the reasons my checklists are long is because I have my preferred power settings listed.  I like to fly at 65% so I have those power settings extracted from my POH.  Essentially the different steps in the checklist are altitudes and the contents of each item are RPM, Manifold Pressure, Temp, and Fuel Flow.  I also have power and flap settings that will give me intended airspeed and rate of descent for instrument approaches.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
brou0040 --   That's a novel use of the checklist feature!

I have an IO-360, and thank goodness some guy wrote a slick little app for the iPhone that gives the power settings at various altitudes and temps.  It's awesome.  I spot checked it against the Lycoming manual and it's dead on.  You put in the altitude, temperature, %power, and whether you want best power or best economy.  it then spits out a table of manifold pressures and RPMs with the corresponding expected fuel flow.  I set the MP and rpm, and then lean to the appropriate EGT (peak for best economy, and 100 deg ROP for best power) the resulting fuel flow is dead on.  If in a hurry, I just lean to the fuel flow from the app.  I've been using that app for several years.
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:16pm
pburger  I have an O-360 will that app work the same ??
and what is it ??
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
It's specifically for the IO-360.  It's called IO-360 Power Calculator.  It's free.  I don't have the Lycoming engine manual handy, but I suppose the O-360 power settings would be similar.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 12:18pm
Follow-up/Close-out of this thread:  Almost 500 people read the thread, 4 people answered Yes, they use the Checklist function, 1 person said no.  Interesting???  Thanks for your thoughts.  Jim

Jim Patton
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 2:17pm
This issues i had were that Upper and Lower case letters can't be used.
certain 'killer' items can't be hightlighted so to speak.

I really think a step by step video would be a great idea, especially now that the keyboard is out.

I do like that little keyboard, fits right in my pocket and when we are bouncing around it's way easier to input data.

Just my two cents.
Pat.
Seneca II
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 11:26pm
Not using checklists in my Bonanza yet.

Using them in my Aerostar. I am only using this function for emergency and non-normal checklists. So far I have engine failure and hyd sys failure/gear extension in there. Used the BT KB to enter.
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic