Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TWX670 Tactical Weather Detection System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TWX670 FAQs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingLester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TWX670 FAQs
    Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:26am

This AvidyneLive topic is for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) related to the TWX670 Tactical Weather Detection System.  Please post any questions you might have and the Avidyne Team will try and answer them. 

Check back soon for answers to some of the questions we hear most often.

John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:59pm
Ted-
Some timw ago, I c ame across a very complete and authoritative piece on lightning, including a detailed discussion about ionization and the characteristics unique to thunderstorm related lightning. I believe it was your article - where can I find it? If you know what I am reffering to, could you email it to me at caulkinsjw@hotmail.com? Thank you.
FlyingLester View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingLester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:26pm
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of such an article.  It sounds pretty interesting, so if you find it, please let me know.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 7:59am
will the TWX670 interface to the IFD540 to display weather data??
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 8:49am
Yes, the IFD540 will support an interface to the TWX670 at initial release.  Initial support will include the TWX670 strikes depiction and subsequent software releases of the IFD540 will add the "full-color TWX" support.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 8:03am
The 2013 Price List shows a huge, 50%, price increase (up $4000) for the TWX670!
Is that correct?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 7:58pm
I wasn't aware.  Checking........
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:38pm
Yes, that new price is correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
firebreather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebreather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 4:25pm
I am flying a Columbia 400 with a recent install of the TWX670 to an Avidyne Integra.  The TWX670 stays in Error status during climbs.  A message comes up "Lightning Noise Senser Present".  After settling in on a cruise setting, the TWX670 appears to fall into the Strike mode.

The first flight showed false strikes 20-60nm at 3:00 and 150-200nm at 6:00.  I cycled the strobes and this seemed to eliminate the false strikes.  Also the voice warning was barely audible, but I could hear it in the background.  Is there a way to turn up the volume?

About 15 hrs and 5 flights later the Error came up on the MFD and there was some slight background noise during cruise.  I noticed it because the noise caused the XM radio to mute.  After turning off the Air Conditioning, the background noise went away and the TWX670 went into Strike mode.

Does anybody have any suggestions for eliminating the Error status of the system?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:33am
I'm checking.  I'll post the response here and on the other thread where you poised the questions.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 12:25pm
What level of interface is available with an Aspen PFD? Just strikes, or the full color display?
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 9:10am
Just strikes.  Much more accurate than other lightning sensor devices but still just strikes on the Aspen.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
EricW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:05pm
Will the TWX670 display onto a Dynon Skyview, (first preference), or a GTN750 and if so, in which modes?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:34pm
Hi Eric,

If a Dynon Skyview can accept a WX500 input, then yes.

I know the GTN750 can accept WX500 input.

The TWX670 has a mode where it can emulate the output of the WX500 so in those cases, you would get monochrome strikes presented on any display that can take WX500 input.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:54am
Looking for info on antenna installation. Size of the ground plane (my fuselage is tubular steel)? Required distance from other antennas (i.e., a COMANT CI 2728-410 combined COMM/GPS antenna)? Feasibility of installing in my wooden wing?
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:54am
Bump.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:57am
Just forwarded the note to "Father TWX" and will post as soon as I hear back.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:50am

Installation of the TWX antenna requires careful evaluation of candidate installation sites for a variety of factors including EMI, ground plane, and nearby radiating antennas.  I strongly encourage you to contact the Avidyne support team (techsupport@avidyne.com) to get a copy of the TWX670 installation manual and carefully review the more detailed guidance provided there.  Here are some excerpts from the installation manual that may help to address your immediate questions:

“There are special considerations for composite or fabric-covered airframes.  A ground plane approximately double the size of the antenna base (at minimum) is recommended for proper operation.  The ground plane should be physically grounded to the airframe.  The ground plane may be installed on the inside surface of the aircraft skin.  Use the backing plate and mounting hardware supplied with the Installation Kit to mount the antenna to the fuselage skin so electrical contact is made between the ground plane and the backing plate (the backing plate is grounded to the antenna by the mounting screws).”

“The antenna should be located 36 inches or more away from the nearest transmitting antenna.”

“CAUTION: It is essential to avoid mounting the TWX670 antenna in areas on the airframe that carry currents, such as the area between the alternator and the aircraft battery (see Figure 7 on page 41).”

petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 10:59pm
This has been a quiet topic! I hope someone is watching.

I have a freshly installed dual IFD540 installation with the TWX670 and have been looking forward to thunderstorm season so I could see some data on my screens. Thought I had a chance yesterday as a line of cells passed over but didn't see anything pop up.

Should strikes be detected and painted while on the ground? I know I need to have a GPS signal for positional reference, but even with everything fired up, sitting on the ground but with good signals, I was not seeing any of the lines of thunderstorms passing across the area and within 25 miles.

Does it not receive well on the ground? Or does it go to a ground mode and not paint data? I would hope that the system would start giving data before takeoff, sometimes that's when you need it the most!

I have seen the test system generate strikes, both during installation and when we gave it an extra test later. And I know I have the weather depiction enabled on the 540's weather page.

Will I only see the X's from strikes or should the 540 be showing me the cell mode data? I thought I saw somewhere that the 540 still needs to have some of the TWX features enabled in later software updates?

Thanks for your efforts to find me the answers. 
Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 6:53am
I have the same setup in my Bonanza. Yes, I have seen strikes while on the ground and in the air. All you see is an 'X' although I've also seen a lightning bolt and not sure why, or if the IFD was improperly set to receive lightning data from my datalink weather system. It does not show the colored cell mode like the EX500/600 product and I believe that is in the candidate release database.

I use to have an insight strike finder and was totally confident with how that system worked. I'm still getting use to the TWX670 and wish the IFD had a page on the AUX tab where you see the status of external devices like the TWX, traffic, etc. We do have it for weather.

I've been told that if you take an electric drill and run it whil holding it near the TWX antenna it will show strikes, but my installation does not. However, it does appear to work just fine in the air.
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 9:09am
Gring is correct.  Cell mode is not currently implemented on the IFD540, so you will see the 'X' display.

The TWX670 functions very well on the ground, so you should have seen activity displayed as the fronts passed by.

A point of clarification...the drill test does not work very well on a TWX670.  That quick test has been used for many years on other lightning detection systems, but the TWX670 has advanced signal processing that recognizes and filters many artificial sources of noise (for example, drills and buried power lines for taxiway lights).
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 12:08pm
Thanks for your perspectives. I know my shop tried testing with a drill and it didn't give the results he had gotten with other systems (like the Insight I also had and trusted before) so he purchased the fancy test box, which looks really simple and somewhat crudely made but does create test data.

I don't suppose it takes a lot of time for strikes to start showing up? I'm thinking strikes would show right away. I hear of a 3 minute refresh cycle for clearing the strikes...  can't imagine there would be any sort of warm up period for them to start once the display has booted.

I'll watch for another chance to do some testing, perhaps start when I can do a little flying while the cells approach.
Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 12:12pm
The reason the drill does not work is that the TWX670 is doing much more DSP analysis of the received wave forms.

Lightning does have a signature.   I spent many hours capturing them and processing them with my own design that I later shelved as a nice science project. 
Ed
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, the IFD540 will support an interface to the TWX670 at initial release.  Initial support will include the TWX670 strikes depiction and subsequent software releases of the IFD540 will add the "full-color TWX" support.

I have access to a 670 but will pass if all I can get is strikes mode.

Does 10.2 enable TWX670 on the IFD540?
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
I have had a TWX670 in my system since before production code.  It works just fine and currently shows strike mode with an X, just like a WX500 system.  The cell mode as implemented in the EX500/600 has not been completed for the IFDXX0 but is in the feature candidate database.

Mine works just fine and it has shown strikes this past 2 weeks here in the NE.  It is far less sensitive than my previous Insight Strikefinder in that I think it is more accurate and displays less false signals.

I do wish that the IFDXX0 had a test mode to show communication with the device because I to months without any strikes and never know if it is properly working.  Then comes a weather day and I see strikes which is the only way to know it works.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I do wish that the IFDXX0 had a test mode to show communication with the device because I to months without any strikes and never know if it is properly working.  Then comes a weather day and I see strikes which is the only way to know it works.

Ditto.

I thought I saw that 10.2 would add a test page for sferics.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:38am
Without finding the 10.2 feature list, I thought the test page was for the WX500 only.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:40am

I have had a TWX670 in my system since before production code.  It works just fine and currently shows strike mode with an X, just like a WX500 system.  The cell mode as implemented in the EX500/600 has not been completed for the IFDXX0 but is in the feature candidate database.

Mine works just fine and it has shown strikes this past 2 weeks here in the NE.  It is far less sensitive than my previous Insight Strikefinder in that I think it is more accurate and displays less false signals.

Which means it is not fully implemented now (except on the EX600 and MHD300) and "might" be at some point in the future?
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 10:54am

Has this been accomplished?  If not, is there a plan?
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The IFD does support TWX670, but still does not support "full-color" a.k.a. "cell mode".  That feature has not come up as an urgent need, so it has not been implemented.  It's still on our to-do list, but not a high priority.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:08am
Hi Steve, I'd really like to see that feature request to be completed. The small Xs are hard to see and blend in with the IFD background. I can't even remember the last time I saw one on my screen. The other feature is some way to test the box to see if it is operating. I have no way to tell if it is operating except a CAS message when in the Hangar with no GPS signal which says Lightning Fault Detected (or something like that).
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:11am
I'm told that there is  a diagnostics page in Maintenance mode that allows you to check it out.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

The IFD does support TWX670, but still does not support "full-color" a.k.a. "cell mode".  That feature has not come up as an urgent need, so it has not been implemented.  It's still on our to-do list, but not a high priority.

I guess it is all relative, Steve. High priority to me means I have all Avi equipment (2 IFDs etc, and much more), including a TWX670 - which gives its "advantages" only when not displayed in stike mode.

It would be a priority for me and supporting your own equipment on your own devices should be for Avidyne as well.
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:43pm
Steve, the TWX user guide has a test procedure as well as a number of additional features and functions that help understand the operating status of the device. These have not yet been developed in the IFD navigators for full support of the device. Perhaps it is available in the EX500/600, I'm not sure, but not in the IFD. See pages 29-30 (system test mode). This is what needs to be added to the IFD.

In the IFD maintenance mode, I'm not sure where one would be able to test the device. The only thing I can find is the RS232 input and output setup of the device. The L3 WX500 has a test mode in the maintenance screen, but not the TWX670.

Can you expand?

Edited by Gring - 14 Aug 2018 at 3:09pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 4:02pm

Can you expand?
Note to self...  double check sources *before* posting...

My source was thinking of the WX500 page.  There apparently is not a similar page for the TWX.  Sorry for that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 4:06pm

I guess it is all relative, Steve. High priority to me means I have all Avi equipment (2 IFDs etc, and much more), including a TWX670 - which gives its "advantages" only when not displayed in stike mode.

It would be a priority for me and supporting your own equipment on your own devices should be for Avidyne as well.
I understand.  When it comes to the decision about what's in and what's out, it's never easy and we don't take it lightly.  It all usually comes down to the fact that there are 10 times more features to implement than there are people to implement them, so we do the best we can.  Your input is still appreciated.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm
Where are we with the full color display on the IFDs?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:53am
Just checked and it's still on the list, but low priority.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic