Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Workaround for IFD XP Trainer AP Bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 6:28pm
Thanks to Jack Walton there is now a xplane plugin that fixes these 2 bugs

" I wrote an X-Plane plugin that takes care of this issue as well. Unzip this folder and put it in the "X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins" folder."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DK5zcQbIWvXiLvGLQ90TZ7EW2PrVUs0l/view?fbclid=IwAR3mrwMeonoVxu8i7InnPBdX-_txhG3dBL5gvi0FF1tzgw6s1paeQTS3qfE

Edited by ricardo - 22 Dec 2022 at 6:31pm
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 1:13am
The IFD XP Trainer is an excellent tool for learning and developing proficiency with the IFD Navigator.

But it has 2 bugs that have bugged me for some time.

1 - It does not set the HSI course in GPS mode to the GPS desired track.  This keeps instruments like a G5 or G1000 or Aspen HSI from working as they do in the real world.  (you can work around this by manually setting the correct HSI course for every leg in your FP, kind of a PITA)

2 - When driving the Autopilot (like a GFC500 or STEC31), it sometimes does some crazy turns away from the GPS track for a few seconds (then comes back).

Both of these bugs take away from the immersion of the simulator and the learning process.

So I did a little debugging and figured out fixes to both these problems and wrote a AirManager instrument that fixes both of these problems for XPlane.

I exported the instrument and you can download it and import it into your own AirManager panel. (LINK)

Hope this helps some of you .. its made my time with IFD XP Trainer more enjoyable.
-----------------------------------------------------------

More info about what the workaround does

IFD XP writes the desired track to sim/cockpit/radios/gps_course_degtm, the workaround subscribes to this dataref and copies that value to sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/hsi_obs_deg_mag_pilot, basically slewing the HSI to the GPS track when in GPS mode.

It also ignores values of -360 which is what i noticed gets written to gps_course_degtm when the IFD looses control of the AP, instead it keeps track of the last known good course, and writes that back into gps_course_degtm, avoiding a change in direction by the AP.

This workaround could probably be written as an XPlane plugin, but i already had airmanager, and fixing it there was easy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Edited by ricardo - 01 Dec 2022 at 1:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic